Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Give that man a top hat, monocle, and umbrella.

Riddler looks a little too try-hard. Every Bat-Villain needs to be an edgy serial killer at some point.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Riddler looks a little too try-hard. Every Bat-Villain needs to be an edgy serial killer at some point.
    The overall aesthetic of this film is not my bag, feels too much like Se7en; I feel like we will never get a non grimDark Batman film ever again

Extraordinary Member

I think part of the reason I’m cold on this design for Riddler, rather than being against it for another supervillain, is that the Zodiac killer was very much actually (and horrifically) trying to be a supervillain… but not a Riddler type of supervillain. It’s also not the first time that people have tried redoing Riddler because for whatever reason they can’t make either the spandex-maniac or the dapper mastermind work… and none of them have really left much of an impact.

I have no doubt that Paul Dano will do a good job playing a Zodiac-style serial killer, to the point it’ll feel like a Key and Peele sketch of a serial killer done dramatically (and done well at that). I have no doubt that Reeves will use Riddler’s riddles excellently in the film. It just feels really weird that those two facts are connected on the same character, especially when Penguin seems to be a nightclub owner who’s only missing a weaponized umbrella, Catwoman’s got her whip and a make-shift cowl, and it feels like in comparison Riddler is being completely redone.

Before they confirmed it was Dano in the mask and with the duct tape, I had this theory Dano would play a Riddler separate from the killer, basically having uncovered everything about him and taunting Gotham with that knowledge to show his superiors, and basically playing the ultimate knowledge broker. It *does* make more sense for Riddler to just be the killer as well… but I just think that Paul Dini in the comics and BTAS as a show have pretty clearly laced out how to handle him well - he’s more like a smugger version of Professor Moriarty as a consulting criminal than a Joker redux.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    The overall aesthetic of this film is not my bag, feels too much like Se7en; I feel like we will never get a non grimDark Batman film ever again
    I wouldn't rule it out. At some point someone is going to want to do something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think part of the reason I’m cold on this design for Riddler, rather than being against it for another supervillain, is that the Zodiac killer was very much actually (and horrifically) trying to be a supervillain… but not a Riddler type of supervillain. It’s also not the first time that people have tried redoing Riddler because for whatever reason they can’t make either the spandex-maniac or the dapper mastermind work… and none of them have really left much of an impact.

I have no doubt that Paul Dano will do a good job playing a Zodiac-style serial killer, to the point it’ll feel like a Key and Peele sketch of a serial killer done dramatically (and done well at that). I have no doubt that Reeves will use Riddler’s riddles excellently in the film. It just feels really weird that those two facts are connected on the same character, especially when Penguin seems to be a nightclub owner who’s only missing a weaponized umbrella, Catwoman’s got her whip and a make-shift cowl, and it feels like in comparison Riddler is being completely redone.

Before they confirmed it was Dano in the mask and with the duct tape, I had this theory Dano would play a Riddler separate from the killer, basically having uncovered everything about him and taunting Gotham with that knowledge to show his superiors, and basically playing the ultimate knowledge broker. It *does* make more sense for Riddler to just be the killer as well… but I just think that Paul Dini in the comics and BTAS as a show have pretty clearly laced out how to handle him well - he’s more like a smugger version of Professor Moriarty as a consulting criminal than a Joker redux.
    I wonder if we'll get at least one "Riddle Me This, Batman...."

Astonishing Member

I have a feeling that they're going out of their way to distance themselves from Danny DeVito's Penguin and (especially!) Jim Carey's Riddler.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I have a feeling that they're going out of their way to distance themselves from Danny DeVito's Penguin and (especially!) Jim Carey's Riddler.
    Maybe so. Or at least an attempt to not seem too outlandish-y comic bookie.

Although if Farrel's Penguin is getting his own series they might save incorporating more comic-accurate Penguin stuff for that. At the very least the trick umbrella's.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    That isn't exactly hard to do. Burton's Penguin was such a departure from comics' that just having him be a normal portly man is already a huge difference.

One of the things I worry about Penguin is that they'll suck the fun out of him trying to remain "realistic". His concealed weapon umbrella (gun, knife, gas) is something that I fear might not make the cut. Also I wonder if he'll still be a charming gentleman who can paly both sides of crime, the mob's old guard, and the new freaks and weirdos that pop up. I hope he gets to keep making appearances in future films. While I'm not too interested in a series about him where Batman isn't a blip on his radar, I do feel that it may be a way to bring more colorful mobsters around.

Amazing Member

I doubt that The Batman and its upcoming movies will be realistic as the Nolan Trilogy
    Last edited by JediBatman54; 01-10-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediBatman54 View Post
    I doubt that The Batman and its upcoming movies will be realistic as the Nolan Trilogy
    The scene of bullets bouncing off the Batsuit alone shows the movie will be more comic booky than the Nolan films.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    That isn't exactly hard to do. Burton's Penguin was such a departure from comics' that just having him be a normal portly man is already a huge difference.

One of the things I worry about Penguin is that they'll suck the fun out of him trying to remain "realistic". His concealed weapon umbrella (gun, knife, gas) is something that I fear might not make the cut. Also I wonder if he'll still be a charming gentleman who can paly both sides of crime, the mob's old guard, and the new freaks and weirdos that pop up. I hope he gets to keep making appearances in future films. While I'm not too interested in a series about him where Batman isn't a blip on his radar, I do feel that it may be a way to bring more colorful mobsters around.
    Penguin as a character has always trod on the blurred line between 'ordinary' criminals/underworld figures and the likes of colorful villains like the Joker or Riddler. There are many depictions of him where, trick umbrella notwithstanding, there's little to distinguish him from the likes of Carmine Falcone (even the name 'Penguin' is akin to a Mob nickname, like 'Roman' for Falcone). Burton tried to turn him into a super-villain 'freak', but that's by no means his standard depiction. Still, Danny DeVito's Penguin is the version casual audiences might be most familiar with so I can understand them working extra hard to break away from that take on the character. I do hope he gets at least a basic trick umbrella - you know, something with a knife or a poison-tipped dart.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    The scene of bullets bouncing off the Batsuit alone shows the movie will be more comic booky than the Nolan films.
    That's within the realm of cinematic 'realism' that grounded superhero adaptations opt for. I mean, even the 'realistic' Nolanverse had what was basically a flying car and a cape that enabled Batman to 'fly'.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Yeah, that was probably the most absurd thing in the trailer .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I like a fun lighthearted takes on Batman as well but that is not what resonates about the character with general audiences. I think what makes Batman distinct and popular in general is his dark more grounded aesthetic. So yeah, I doubt there will ever be a big budget take on Batman that does not align with those qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I like a fun lighthearted takes on Batman as well but that is not what resonates about the character with general audiences. I think what makes Batman distinct and popular in general is his dark more grounded aesthetic. So yeah, I doubt there will ever be a big budget take on Batman that does not align with those qualities.
    Well, I think different aspects of Batman can resonate with different people.

Incredible Member

Well, I think different aspects of Batman can resonate with different people.
    Agreed. I just do not think a lighter Batman is going to sell or be general audiences preference. It would be too big a gamble for WB.

That's the cool thing about having multiple TV shows, video games, comics etc. To explore the less popular variations of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Agreed. I just do not think a lighter Batman is going to sell or be general audiences preference. It would be too big a gamble for WB.

That's the cool thing about having multiple TV shows, video games, comics etc. To explore the less popular variations of the character.
    I think anything Batman-related is popular, it just depends on the execution. I don't think the general audience would mind it.