Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Haven't really played the Arkham games so wouldn't know about that.

But I really think the biggest USP separating the Riddler from the likes of the Joker is that he's a bit more understated and 'intellectual' - more criminal mastermind with a compulsion, less hammy and raving lunatic.

Honestly, this movie's portrayal of Riddler too isn't in line with my ideal take on the character, but I do hope that this Zodiac Killer inspired interpretation helps cement the notion that the Riddler isn't supposed to be a Joker clone in a green suit!
    You just have to hope that it doesnÂ’t go from a copy of loony zany Joker to a copy of anarchist terrorist Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You just have to hope that it doesnÂ’t go from a copy of loony zany Joker to a copy of anarchist terrorist Joker.
    We live in a society...

Extraordinary Member

My favorite version of Riddler is still the John Glover-voiced one form BTAS - partially because Glover is *still* hammy and ostentatious, but in a very different way from Gorshin’s take or any Joker version. He’s so damn smug but so collected and calm most of the time that he genuinely comes off like the villain who’s thing is “Smartest Guy in the room”.

That was also helped very well by how they avoided having batman just beat Riddler by answering his riddles, but instead cheating Riddler’s games.

It’s kind of funny more people don’t have Bruce “cheat” to beat Riddler as a way of showing his intelligence, and keep going back to just the death traps and wordplay.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    My favorite version of Riddler is still the John Glover-voiced one form BTAS - partially because Glover is *still* hammy and ostentatious, but in a very different way from Gorshin’s take or any Joker version. He’s so damn smug but so collected and calm most of the time that he genuinely comes off like the villain who’s thing is “Smartest Guy in the room”.

That was also helped very well by how they avoided having batman just beat Riddler by answering his riddles, but instead cheating Riddler’s games.

It’s kind of funny more people don’t have Bruce “cheat” to beat Riddler as a way of showing his intelligence, and keep going back to just the death traps and wordplay.
    I think it's fine for Bruce to cheat, but nothing is more satisfying than Batman beating Riddler at his own game .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's fine for Bruce to cheat, but nothing is more satisfying than Batman beating Riddler at his own game .
    It’s a delicate balance, since Riddler’s entire shtick is that he’s smart and clever enough to challenge Batman, but Ba5man stil needs to outsmart him by the end.

BTAS’s last Riddler specified probably did it best - Riddler genuinely does outsmart Batman early with the Bank red herring riddle, but then Bruce outsmarts Riddler’s supposedly perfect death trap simply by being smarter.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Bill Sienkiewicz's IMAX poster for The Batman.

BatmanIMAXposter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Feels almost like something out of BTAS.

To me it does drive home the idea of some kind of mystery and secret at the core of the Riddler and his crusade.

We're miles away from Frank Gorshin and Jim Carey territory here!

The score plays well on creepiness and mystery. I like it that it is for The Riddler.

I'll check this out. But I'm not sure about follow-ups. The filmmaker already expressed that this will be a Batman-strips only world. Unless there's a much wider array of Batman-centered characters included, I'm not into a slightly altered form of the Nolan trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'll check this out. But I'm not sure about follow-ups. The filmmaker already expressed that this will be a Batman-strips only world. Unless there's a much wider array of Batman-centered characters included, I'm not into a slightly altered form of the Nolan trilogy.
    I'd be into the more grounded heroes like GA, Bronze Tiger, Question popping up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd be into the more grounded heroes like GA, Bronze Tiger, Question popping up.
    Green Arrow apparently might be showing up in the DCEU proper. There was a report a while back that he was being introduced in the Black Canary movie planned as a spin-off from Birds of Prey.

At this point, it does feel like this universe is going to be even more 'grounded' than the Nolanverse. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting the League of Shadows to show up, for instance.

Anyone saying this is more grounded than the Nolan movies needs to watch those movies again
    I mean apart from Joker I don't think any of the villains looked or acted at all like their comic counterparts especially Bane
    Bale was ridiculously fragile and didn't even have the drive to continue being Batman after 5 years

Battinson I can say has a long career ahead of him

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Anyone saying this is more grounded than the Nolan movies needs to watch those movies again
    I mean apart from Joker I don't think any of the villains looked or acted at all like their comic counterparts especially Bane
    Bale was ridiculously fragile and didn't even have the drive to continue being Batman after 5 years

Battinson I can say has a long career ahead of him
    How do you know Battinson's is going to have a long career you don't know maybe Reeves's batman will also have a shorter run. As for which movies are more grounded we'll have to wait for the new movie to come out to see how Reeves does it. From the trailers alone it looks pretty grounded, more grounded than Batman Begins for instance.

According to Pattinson, he likes the more supernatural themed stories. So Battinson should team up with Deadman.

Orpheus and Onyx would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    How do you know Battinson's is going to have a long career you don't know maybe Reeves's batman will also have a shorter run. As for which movies are more grounded we'll have to wait for the new movie to come out to see how Reeves does it. From the trailers alone it looks pretty grounded, more grounded than Batman Begins for instance.
    Various news sites talked about a potential trilogy.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-16-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Love that photo of Falcone playing pool.

Catwoman's Theme.