Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Falcone looks more like an eccentric proto-Bat-villain than a glorified thug in this one and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Falcone looks more like an eccentric proto-Bat-villain than a glorified thug in this one and I love it!
    It's just kind of weird to me. He looks so non-intimidating. Although maybe Tuturro can sell it and it'll feel topical to modern organized crime.

I also wonder if he's supposed to be Selina's dad in this.

Mighty Member

I just found out this movie is... three hours long. It's certainly not impossible that turns out to be justified, but, uh... it would have be reaalllly good.

(Yes, Avengers: Endgame was 3 hours, too, but they were wrapping up an immense story with a fistful of threads to weave together.)

Anyway, I wasn't too excited about the film regardless, and am a bit less so now. I feel like the angsty grimdark sore-throat Batman has been done to death in the last several movies, and if we're going back to the Batman well again, there should be room for a wider variety of approaches, as the comics have taken across the character's history.

Just my 2 cents, for whatever little it's worth. Maybe others have said more or less the same thing here... I haven't read the whole thread.
    Last edited by Yohei72; 02-24-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Water Town has released the full soundtrack by Michael Giacchino.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    I just found out this movie is... three hours long. It's certainly not impossible that turns out to be justified, but, uh... it would have be reaalllly good.

(Yes, Avengers: Endgame was 3 hours, too, but they were wrapping up an immense story with a fistful of threads to weave together.)

Anyway, I wasn't too excited about the film regardless, and am a bit less so now. I feel like the angsty grimdark sore-throat Batman has been done to death in the last several movies, and if we're going back to the Batman well again, there should be room for a wider variety of approaches, as the comics have taken across the character's history.

Just my 2 cents, for whatever little it's worth. Maybe others have said more or less the same thing here... I haven't read the whole thread.
    Batman seems surprisingly quippy in some of the clips I've seen. Although admittedly they're also scenes with Catwoman..

Extraordinary Member

Have to admit, I love the little “nothing up my sleeve - oh wait, it’s my grappling gun!” little design they’ve given him.

It’s also a great example of this film trying to appear more utilitarian than the Nolan films in terms of aesthetic, but actually being just as, if not more, fantastical. Everything about that design is meant to seem more barebones than the Nolan grappling gun, but it’s even more of a “hammer space” gadget than the Nolan grappling gun, and while both disappear whenever they’re not needed, we’ve got a cool little flourish here both to seem more practical but also because it looks cool.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The length definitely bothers me. I've long criticized films for being too long. And I'm not too excited for this film either.

As far as approaches, we may see all this room for variety, but I think WB execs sees Clooney/Kilmer/Adam West (their nightmare) vs the rest, so I wonder what kind of approach you think could be not immediately dismissed by risk averse execs.

I'd love to see an approach like Morrison's Batman Inc done, a serious enough film where Batman meets a 60s-ish Bondesque spy genre story, but I'm willing to admit that there's not even a snowball's chance in hell it will ever get done as a major film (anytime soon).

I think some are fooling themselves if they think Batman films won't have some degree of dark and angst.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Weird but I am the complete opposite. I love long movies. The runtime is actually pretty exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Weird but I am the complete opposite. I love long movies. The runtime is actually pretty exciting to me.
    I love really long movies too - all time favorites include Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai, Lars von Trier's The Kingdom, Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day, The Godfathers (duh)... But the film's gotta earn it. I just have doubts that the sixth Bat-emo movie in 16 years has the content to justify such a length.

Of course, not having seen it, I can offer little more to justify my opinion/assumption. Just talking out my @$$.

I love really long movies too - all time favorites include Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai, Lars von Trier's The Kingdom, Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day, The Godfathers (duh)... But the film's gotta earn it. I just have doubts that the sixth Bat-emo movie in 16 years has the content to justify such a length.

Of course, not having seen it, I can offer little more to justify my opinion/assumption. Just talking out my @$$.
    How were Bale or Affleck's Batmen emo? Unless you equate serious and stoic with emo which would make Keaton and even Kilmer's versions emo too.

Extraordinary Member

Hearing nothing but good thing s except from the small synder minority who wants everything to fail

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Hearing nothing but good thing s except from the small synder minority who wants everything to fail
    Yeah.

I've read a TON of reviews, and so far the major criticisms seem to be 1) The length (though plenty of reviewers have also said it doesn't drag and feels more like a 2 hour film - besides I think the length will allow it to do justice to the detective story), 2) Too much Batman and not enough focus on Bruce Wayne or on the Riddler (which I frankly wouldn't mind at all either - the Batman films usually have an unfortunate tendency to focus too much on the villains anyway), 3) The third act being too superhero-y compared to the rest of the film (which even the reviewers admit is par for the course for a major blockbuster), 4) Riddler not quiet measuring up to other Batman villains, particularly Heath Ledger's Joker (but frankly, who is going to measure up to Ledger?).

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah.

I've read a TON of reviews, and so far the major criticisms seem to be 1) The length (though plenty of reviewers have also said it doesn't drag and feels more like a 2 hour film - besides I think the length will allow it to do justice to the detective story), 2) Too much Batman and not enough focus on Bruce Wayne or on the Riddler (which I frankly wouldn't mind at all either - the Batman films usually have an unfortunate tendency to focus too much on the villains anyway), 3) The third act being too superhero-y compared to the rest of the film (which even the reviewers admit is par for the course for a major blockbuster), 4) Riddler not quiet measuring up to other Batman villains, particularly Heath Ledger's Joker (but frankly, who is going to measure up to Ledger?).
    I'm seeing people say the riddler is creepy and awesome. I'm also seeing people say it's a masterpiece. It's going to be so good. All the snyder chads (I like Snyder's dc films) can eat it!! I'm sure some of the marvel cucks are going to be whiney the next few weeks as well.