Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    How were Bale or Affleck's Batmen emo?
    I just mean dark, angsty, and self-serious (and I mean the films as a whole, not just the title character). Reasonable people can disagree on whether that's a proper use of the word "emo."

I hope nobody here is in Russia, because if you are, you won't be seeing this film in the cinema in the near future.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I hope the film leaves room for the Bat-allies to grow. I don't want to see another "John Blake" who at best was an oblique homage to Robin. Needs to be room for more legit sidekicks to join in.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope the film leaves room for the Bat-allies to grow. I don't want to see another "John Blake" who at best was an oblique homage to Robin. Needs to be room for more legit sidekicks to join in.
    Even if they had civilian identities, it would be super cool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I'm seeing people say the riddler is creepy and awesome. I'm also seeing people say it's a masterpiece. It's going to be so good. All the snyder chads (I like Snyder's dc films) can eat it!! I'm sure some of the marvel cucks are going to be whiney the next few weeks as well.
    Oh yeah, I'm not saying I agree with all those reviews and I'll reserve my judgement for when I finally get my ass on that theatre seat to watch the film I'm just saying that if these are supposedly the biggest problems with the film, then I still think it's poised to be a masterpiece! As it is, an overwhelming number of reviews say that its either as good as TDK, or probably the second-best Batman film to TDK...that's I guess the highest praise a Batman movie can get these days.

As far as Marvel comparisions go, yeah I think a few of the reviewers don't seem to care for how 'dark' and 'emo' Pattison is, and I guess their frame of reference for superheroes is the MCU. But why would we worry about that anyway?

Was it Reeves or Pattison who recently said that they would want to adapt A Death in the Family someday?

Either way, I don't think it's impossible that we could get a Robin in this series. Chronology-wise, Robin would make perfect sense...they just need to find a way, tonally, to make him fit. I daresay Jason Todd fits the mold of Reeves' world better than Dick Grayson does.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    I just mean dark, angsty, and self-serious (and I mean the films as a whole, not just the title character). Reasonable people can disagree on whether that's a proper use of the word "emo."
    Keaton was all of those things too even if the movie around him was quirky and more humorous. I'd say he was more emo than Bale and Affleck were.

Eh, like with the new Batgirl I'd rather they keep the Batfamily to the DCEU. They get their own solo films to shine, and Batman doesn't need to share screen time. Win win for everyone, unless you're really, really committed to seeing the Dynamic Duo in their prime. But even most of them will be placated with a Nightwing movie.

I guess maybe there's still a contingent that wants the family in the new verse cause they still think that the DCEU needs to be hard rebooted after the rough Snyder years.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, like with the new Batgirl I'd rather they keep the Batfamily to the DCEU. They get their own solo films to shine, and Batman doesn't need to share screen time. Win win for everyone, unless you're really, really committed to seeing the Dynamic Duo in their prime. But even most of them will be placated with a Nightwing movie.

I guess maybe there's still a contingent that wants the family in the new verse cause they still think that the DCEU needs to be hard rebooted after the rough Snyder years.
    I don't get the push back, we got two movies with the dynamic duo(neither one of them all that great) almost thirty years ago so why not try again?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't get the push back, we got two movies with the dynamic duo(neither one of them all that great) almost thirty years ago so why not try again?
    It's not pushback really if I'm fine with like a Nightwing movie in the DCEU is it? I just don't think that the Batman and Robin dynamic really needs a film. Dick and Jason are better off as adult heroes anyways, and you can't really do Damian without doing the whole Bruce and Talia relationship first and I don't see this version having that. I just don't think we need a Batman and Robin film in live action. That dynamic works better in animation, while live action does the family better when they're on the next leg after the Dynamic Duo dynamic.

Anarky was almost Robin instead of Tim so I'd be interested in seeing how that would play out.

Tim and Steph could be a fun pair to bounce off Pattinson's take. Plus both characters have parents so you could avoid Bruce becoming a parent like he does with Dick or Jason. Eventually he does fill that role for both but you could avoid that here.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-02-2022 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Keaton was all of those things too even if the movie around him was quirky and more humorous. I'd say he was more emo than Bale and Affleck were.
    That’s not my memory of Keaton (granted that I haven’t seen those movies in more than 20 years). But in any case, as I said, I’m talking about the films as a whole.

I saw my early screening yesterday

I don't think you'll see a Robin in this universe unless he's of a similar age to Bruce and even then would you still want that?
    The movie is very dark and paints Bruce's mission as hopeless(way more hopeless than the Nolan trilogy did). Similar to how the comics are never ending and always need a conflict to keep Batman and co active the movie basically takes that idea and runs with it. How can Batman achieve anything when there is always conflict. It paints his actions as sort of pointless and more geared toward his own personal vendetta which I don't necessarily have a problem with.

I think Riddler needed more time honestly. Still way better than Jim Carey but that was easy mode to clear

The days of the child/teenage sidekick in these serious Batman movies are likely dead after this. Considering how these movies have escalated from Burton to now you can't train and take a teen and put him into this version of Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Anarky was almost Robin instead of Tim so I'd be interested in seeing how that would play out.

Tim and Steph could be a fun pair to bounce off Pattinson's take. Plus both characters have parents so you could avoid Bruce becoming a parent like he does with Dick or Jason. Eventually he does fill that role for both but you could avoid that here.
    I'd rather have no Robin than go down the Bruce makes some kid from the suburbs his sidekick without parental consent route.

The movie is out on Friday here in England. I can't wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's not pushback really if I'm fine with like a Nightwing movie in the DCEU is it? I just don't think that the Batman and Robin dynamic really needs a film. Dick and Jason are better off as adult heroes anyways, and you can't really do Damian without doing the whole Bruce and Talia relationship first and I don't see this version having that. I just don't think we need a Batman and Robin film in live action. That dynamic works better in animation, while live action does the family better when they're on the next leg after the Dynamic Duo dynamic.
    I dunno if live-action can't do the Dynamic Duo justice when they haven't really done it as much. I think the appeal of Batman and Robin together as partners and what that relationship brings to the table can still be easily replicated in film if used correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I saw my early screening yesterday

I don't think you'll see a Robin in this universe unless he's of a similar age to Bruce and even then would you still want that?
    The movie is very dark and paints Bruce's mission as hopeless(way more hopeless than the Nolan trilogy did). Similar to how the comics are never ending and always need a conflict to keep Batman and co active the movie basically takes that idea and runs with it. How can Batman achieve anything when there is always conflict. It paints his actions as sort of pointless and more geared toward his own personal vendetta which I don't necessarily have a problem with.

I think Riddler needed more time honestly. Still way better than Jim Carey but that was easy mode to clear

The days of the child/teenage sidekick in these serious Batman movies are likely dead after this. Considering how these movies have escalated from Burton to now you can't train and take a teen and put him into this version of Gotham.
    Well, that's kind of a bummer .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno if live-action can't do the Dynamic Duo justice when they haven't really done it as much. I think the appeal of Batman and Robin together as partners and what that relationship brings to the table can still be easily replicated in film if used correctly.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on that front - it's not really a dynamic I think can be done well in live action, nor am I particularly interested in them trying. I've animation for that which I feel suits it better, and by all indications a Nightwing movie might be spinning out of the Batgirl movie which I feel is a better approach anyways.

Well, that's kind of a bummer .
    Another place where we'll just have to agree to disagree - far from being a bummer, this sounds like excellent news! This might finally be a worthy follow up to 08's The Dark Knight. Been waiting forever it feels like for another Batfilm to approach that caliber.