Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I’m actually thinking Riddler isn’t the goggle-masked duct-tape enthusiast at the start of the trailer, and is in fact coming to the crime scenes right after the killer’s done his thing to drop his own letters - “No More Lies” guy has his own reason for doing what he does, and Riddler has figured out who he is and why he does it, and is going to end up taunting Batman over knowing more than he does (so his “secret friend” thing is actually closer to the truth in terms of solving the mystery).

It would allow for a bit more flexible of a mystery format, because it would give Batman *two* mysteries/challenges instead of one - find the killer, but also find out how Riddler learned it and track him down.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Hope they change the colours couldn't see a bloody thing! Still not convinced by Pattinson needed more lines. Disappointed it's the Riddler, would rather have villains that weren't done before but at least it isn't a Joker! I also hate they stuck with "The Batman" name keep thinking of the (underrated) animated series. Also the trailer was too confusing what exactly is the plot of the movie, like I didn't even know it was Riddler until I went online.

Can't say I am disappointed since I wasn't exactly excited for this in the first place.

WW doesn't have the first female superhero movie hype anymore, this movie was bound to end up having more buzz no matter what. WW can't compete with Batman plus Reeves as a director has much more going for him than Jenkins. Personally speaking WW84 does look better but ain't nothing gonna compete with Batman.
    To be fair if you thought the trailer was confusing - less than 30% of the movie was filmed before the pandemic shut it down. I imagine making a coherent trailer for a film with over 70% of the film to still be shot is pretty hard. Under those circumstances I have to applaud them for making a trailer that good.

How usual is it for someone to be cast for a movie that already started filming?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    How usual is it for someone to be cast for a movie that already started filming?
    With shooting delays like these? It's not really that unheard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    With shooting delays like these? It's not really that unheard.
    Maybe with delays caused by creative differences, but I don't know about technical delays. Just seems weird.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m actually thinking Riddler isn’t the goggle-masked duct-tape enthusiast at the start of the trailer, and is in fact coming to the crime scenes right after the killer’s done his thing to drop his own letters - “No More Lies” guy has his own reason for doing what he does, and Riddler has figured out who he is and why he does it, and is going to end up taunting Batman over knowing more than he does (so his “secret friend” thing is actually closer to the truth in terms of solving the mystery).

It would allow for a bit more flexible of a mystery format, because it would give Batman *two* mysteries/challenges instead of one - find the killer, but also find out how Riddler learned it and track him down.
    Yeah no that's Paul dano. No need to overthink it.

This movie is going to be so awesome. Everything from the tone, the car, the suit, the actors to the font has been bad ass . I'm really digging the seventies meets seven vibe... Way darker than I thought. I thought it was gonna sit between Nolan and Snyder's tone wise. Nope, this think is down the river, across a bridge and a bus ride to the left of Nolans.

The trailer is so good. Dano sounds scary. Pattinson looks vicious and angry.... My only worry is it getting bogged down by catwoman /romance ..

Reeves now has my attention in a way no batman director has ever had. Hype level 1000

Maybe with delays caused by creative differences, but I don't know about technical delays. Just seems weird.
    Still, it messes with the time where every cast member is available for shooting. It usually is the main reason why you see people being hired in the middle of the production. That, and last minute changes in the script. Or at least, it's what I usually read in the news.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post

The trailer is so good. Dano sounds scary. Pattinson looks vicious and angry.... My only worry is it getting bogged down by catwoman /romance ..
    I'd actually like it if they did this. It'd be something different. That's my favorite part of Batman Returns and no movie since then has given them that kind of focus. I don't expect it though, since it looks like there's too much going on in this (unless she becomes an ally of his quickly or something)

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Still, it messes with the time where every cast member is available for shooting. It usually is the main reason why you see people being hired in the middle of the production. That, and last minute changes in the script. Or at least, it's what I usually read in the news.
    True, maybe. Either way I'm pretty confident now that I've seen that trailer. I hope that it's not too much longer before they can return to filming safely.

True, maybe. Either way I'm pretty confident now that I've seen that trailer. I hope that it's not too much longer before they can return to filming safely.
    Yeah, I hope it's soon too. We really, really need to control this whole situation soon or else we are not going to be able to even watch the movie in a theatre. And I would like to watch it in the big screen without risks, too.

Astonishing Member

Mindnumbing!

When I heard there was a teaser, I expected a logo reveal and maybe a couple of frames of Pattison in the suit. Certainly not a full-blown trailer!

On the whole, it seems like the perfect blend of the Nolanverse and a noir-ish crime drama. Someone earlier in this thread referred to it as 'BTAS on crack' and that does feels like an apt description. This very much feels like a mystery film first and foremost - a serial killer thriller. There is a fair bit of action and explosions but its all pretty grounded. The whole film does "Batman in the real world" a step up from what Nolan did and that's really saying something. Batman Begins with its fear toxin attack and secret society of assassins seems downright cartoonish compared to this one!

Pattison really does look like a Year One-era Bruce Wayne, more so than Bale did. While Bale's Batman in Begins was starting out, he was pretty fully-formed once he put on the cowl. Here you get the sense that this is a Batman who's learning on the job. He isn't yet even the force of nature that Bale's Batman was in the warehouse scene of Begins - he's just a highly trained guy in a suit doing his best and slowly building his reputation. The effect is a more vulnerable Batman, a more 'real' Batman. And his Bruce Wayne too looks a bit unkempt...like someone who doesn't really belong in that suit. Someone who maybe doesn't have the 'billionaire playboy' act down pat yet.

Astonishing Member

The trailer hasn't put me off but it hasn't made me anymore enthusiastic for this batman either

Didn't like his look as Bruce Wayne at all

The small fight looked a little weird, maybe coz it was on a small screen but it looked like it was sped up or animated

Still it looks like it's a real threat he faces which is good and I remain happy with the Catwoman casting

The car looked fantastic
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-23-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    The voice is Dano, Dano is the Riddler, and I wouldn’t be shocked if this Zodiac-esque duct-tape killer is Riddler.

But if this is a mystery, and especially if it’s like Se7en, than I feel like using a known and established badguy and just changing his costume and MO to a more “pedestrian” serial killer design feels like it gives the game away too quickly... and showing the killer wearing a totally concealing mask when you’ve already announced who’s playing the Riddler and then seem to be tying the Riddler pretty explicitly to the killer in the very first piece of mass media marketing...

...Well, it starts to make me feel a bit like watching Mask Of The Phantasm, and seeing Stacey Keach is voicing both Andrea’s father and the Phantasm.

Not that I’d bet money on this: my other theory is that Bruce manages to unsettle and inflict enough defeats upon “Riddler: Beta Version” that he evolves into the more familiar form of the character (no less lethal, mind you) the same way that Catwoman and Penguin are supposed to evolve in the film as well.

Either way, the fact that Riddler is using a Court of Owls cipher on his letters is cool - he doesn’t even need to be working with the Court, and they could just be a code Bruce has to decrypt, like the Dancing Men code of Sherlock Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Mindnumbing!

When I heard there was a teaser, I expected a logo reveal and maybe a couple of frames of Pattison in the suit. Certainly not a full-blown trailer!

On the whole, it seems like the perfect blend of the Nolanverse and a noir-ish crime drama. Someone earlier in this thread referred to it as 'BTAS on crack' and that does feels like an apt description. This very much feels like a mystery film first and foremost - a serial killer thriller. There is a fair bit of action and explosions but its all pretty grounded. The whole film does "Batman in the real world" a step up from what Nolan did and that's really saying something. Batman Begins with its fear toxin attack and secret society of assassins seems downright cartoonish compared to this one!

Pattison really does look like a Year One-era Bruce Wayne, more so than Bale did. While Bale's Batman in Begins was starting out, he was pretty fully-formed once he put on the cowl. Here you get the sense that this is a Batman who's learning on the job. He isn't yet even the force of nature that Bale's Batman was in the warehouse scene of Begins - he's just a highly trained guy in a suit doing his best and slowly building his reputation. The effect is a more vulnerable Batman, a more 'real' Batman. And his Bruce Wayne too looks a bit unkempt...like someone who doesn't really belong in that suit. Someone who maybe doesn't have the 'billionaire playboy' act down pat yet.
    The tone for Batman and Gotham is reminding me a bit of those “Year One Point Five” stories that showed up in Legends of the Dark Knight: Prey, Heat, Blades.

We don’t seem to be doing Earth One Batman, where things are diluted a bit and Bruce is a bit more of an amateur, but we’re still dealing with a very young Batman in a vision of Gotham that feels like a real world place viewed through a macabre and brutalist POV.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

It does look very good. The only thing a little off putting is the cowl design, but that's me.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I still think the costume is too busy but I liked the feel of the trailer well enough.