Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default NEW52 Superman as kind of blueprint for Conner

Hello, I was always the opinion that NEW52 would be a great development for Conner.
    There were also once a fan-theory that Conner is NEW52 Superman, but was tricked into believing that he is Clark.

There were changes which were horrible for Clark, but logical for Conner:

1. Being together with Wonder Woman rather than with Lois
    This wasn’t a good choice for Clark, because Clark needs the connection to the human trough Lois and he is simply always connected to her, and the relationship with Diana also didn’t work.

BUT in Conners case instead the relationship with Cassie made sense.

2. Jeans and Shirt fits more with Conner than Clark

3. The attitude was also more like Conner would act

NEW52 Superman was actually the PERFECT direction for Conner.

Let Jonathan be Superman, be part of the JL etc. let him demonstrate against Climate Change etc.

AND use the NEW52 Superman way for Conner:

Give him NEW52 Superman Power Levels, Lex Intellect (like in Titans TV Series). Give him the Jeans and Fleischer S-Symbol blue Shirt of NEW52 Superman, together with a Leatherjacket. Let him reallocate back to Hawaii, be together with Cassie.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/artic...e/1100-152042/

I always liked the Idea of Conner as being the cooler, more edgy, sarcastic Version of Superman, who is away from the JL and might also fight them, like he did when he started his career (against Aquaman).
    NO CAPE, NO POLITICS etc. in Conners Case, more like being the peoples champ.
    A roughter, cooler Version of Superman, who is also not always PG and DOESNT have to be the big blue boyscout.

I see Conner here like the NEW52 Jeans and Shirt Superman with NEW52 Superman Power-Levels and Lex Intellect

While Cassie being like the Pre-Flashpoint Artemis of Bana-Mighdall (a little bit smaller, but at similar power-levels).

I like the two together as being a kind of American-Alpha Couple (a younger, cooler Version of Diana and Clark). Both good-looking, nice champions of the people, but also with attitude.

With a black leather jacket(no stupid spikes).

You and I agree on most everything, but for the fact I think his powers should work differently than how you do.

I see his powers as this
    Strong as, fast as, durable as, and super senses as good as supermans (or a younger version of superman of course), but with 2 weaknesses, 1 being that he has to focus to use his TK, as in getting distracted makes them waver.2nd is that anytime he expands his TK away from his body he leaves himself weaker, as in he levitates ppl who are falling, so thst leaves him less power to protect himself.

Any my opinion his actual body has super strength, speed, durability and height end senses. His TK gives him the ability to lift and punch, protect himself, move at super speed, flight, and TK sensitivity that gives him TK senses. Both power sets are low level top tier, but together make him a superman .
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

https://www.deviantart.com/tjjones96...rboy-541334314

Just change it to a black T-shirt and you are set.

But I don't mind a more traditional spandex outfit over street clothes.

https://www.deviantart.com/warbound-...rboy-487867163

https://www.deviantart.com/femmes-fa...gned-566975522

Masterff, I think you forgot how political Clark was during his jeans and T-shirt days. Not doing anything with that would be foolish.

So I'd have that be apart of Conner's character arc. I saw him as arrogant and a bit of a glory hound. So I'd have him use those tendencies to spotlight issues people should care about. he might interview Dubbilex on YouTube so people would support clone emancipation from Cadmus.

Sci-fi and fantasy have always been political so I'd lean into that than avoid it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-02-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I always liked the Idea of Conner as being the cooler, more edgy, sarcastic Version of Superman, who is away from the JL and might also fight them, like he did when he started his career (against Aquaman).
    NO CAPE, NO POLITICS etc. in Conners Case, more like being the peoples champ.
    Not really how that works, lol.

You can't be the peoples champ without messing with politics. It is an antitesis.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.deviantart.com/tjjones96...rboy-541334314

Just change it to a black T-shirt and you are set.

But I don't mind a more traditional spandex outfit over street clothes.

https://www.deviantart.com/warbound-...rboy-487867163

https://www.deviantart.com/femmes-fa...gned-566975522

Masterff, I think you forgot how political Clark was during his jeans and T-shirt days. Not doing anything with that would be foolish.

So I'd have that be apart of Conner's character arc. I saw him as arrogant and a bit of a glory hound. So I'd have him use those tendencies to spotlight issues people should care about. Hell he might interview Dubbilex on YouTube so people would support clone emancipation from Cadmus.

Sci-fi and fantasy have always been political so I'd lean into that than avoid it.

He used the Truth blue tshirt for Conner, not because of politicos, but becuase it sticks to his tshirt look, and it's the colors of his 1st supersuit, mixed with black.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Conner has always been a less politically conscious figure than Clark, and that's precisely where this whole theory falls completely the hell apart.

New 52 Superman's "edge" was entirely rooted in his politics - the politics of someone both compassionate and angry about it, someone sick of seeing a corrupt status quo flourish, of seeing people ground under the heel of business moguls like Glen Glenmorgan or even Vyndktvx, or corrupt cops like Sgt Blake.

None of that applies to Conner. Conner's edge has always been in angst over his personhood and in good old fashioned "you're not my real dad" teenage rebellion. It's a lot higher concept than the more grounded, socially based "edge" that New 52 Superman gives us. Conner is also less of a folk hero than Clark is, unlike the New 52 version.

You know whose actions and apparent values can be described in reasonably similar terms to New 52 Clark?

Clark "Superman" Kent, from 1938, socially conscious roughneck with an attitude.

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    He used the Truth blue tshirt for Conner, not because of politicos, but becuase it sticks to his tshirt look, and it's the colors of his 1st supersuit, mixed with black.
    I get the design choice but Masterff also described his take on Conner as a people's champ. Thor- Ul put it best why removing the political angle from "the people's champ" description is detrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    You can't be the peoples champ without messing with politics. It is an antitesis.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-02-2022 at 01:48 PM.

Incredible Member

I think that one reason I like the New 52 Superman is that he was returning to the Superman of the 1930s-1940s.
    He had a Golden Age sensibility.
    Personally, this view that the new versions of Superman need to be more political, unlike Clark Kent is a bad reading of the character.
    There have been times when Superman was apolitical, but they were exceptions to the general rule.

Guys Masterff isn't using new 52 superman as a blueprint becaise of politics, but from the fact that he was a young superman, who could be pissed off.

He used the Truth shirt cause it envelops his 1st supersuit and his tshirt and jeans look

He called him the ppl chp not becaise he fights for political stuff, but because he isn't a God or held to a high standard like superman. If you have ever read the 90s 1st kon series you would see him interacting and acting more like a regular guy then how Clark ever has.

Hopefully that helps, you guys are taking things and running with them, when it's very basic ideas he is trying to use for Conner

I preferred the Black long-sleeved shirt and jeans he and Young Justice.

I was a fan of Jak and Daxter as a teen. So I'd add a pet genomorph as a helpful sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Guys Masterff isn't using new 52 superman as a blueprint becaise of politics, but from the fact that he was a young superman, who could be pissed off.

He used the Truth shirt cause it envelops his 1st supersuit and his tshirt and jeans look

He called him the ppl chp not becaise he fights for political stuff, but because he isn't a God or held to a high standard like superman. If you have ever read the 90s 1st kon series you would see him interacting and acting more like a regular guy then how Clark ever has.

Hopefully that helps, you guys are taking things and running with them, when it's very basic ideas he is trying to use for Conner
    I guess. Unless your Master, It's not exactly clear what he meant by people's champ since that can mean different things. I was confused too. Is he looking out for the little guy? New 52 tee shirt guy gave me Bruce Springsteen vibes. A hero for the regular guy. The ones that are overlooked. A pair of jeans and tee shirt fits. It's working class. Then you have the People's Champ like the Rock who played to his fans. 90s Conner is more like the later but visually works like the former. Either or can work for him. He's not wearing a fancy suit and is grounded. Just give him the black tee shirt with the Max Fleischer "s," leather jacket without the spikes, fingerless gloves and jeans and shades. Honoring his 90s and Early 2000s look.

He wore the black leather jacket to have that casual "human" feel in the 90s, then the black tshirt and jeans look took its place in the 2000s till now. I think putting them both together is the way to go forward, just like a mix of kryptonian and TK is the way to go for his powers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    I guess. Unless your Master, It's not exactly clear what he meant by people's champ since that can mean different things. I was confused too. Is he looking out for the little guy? New 52 tee shirt guy gave me Bruce Springsteen vibes. A hero for the regular guy. The ones that are overlooked. A pair of jeans and tee shirt fits. It's working class. Then you have the People's Champ like the Rock who played to his fans. 90s Conner is more like the later but visually works like the former. Either or can work for him. He's not wearing a fancy suit and is grounded. Just give him the black tee shirt with the Max Fleischer "s," leather jacket without the spikes, fingerless gloves and jeans and shades. Honoring his 90s and Early 2000s look.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I think that one reason I like the New 52 Superman is that he was returning to the Superman of the 1930s-1940s.
    He had a Golden Age sensibility.
    Personally, this view that the new versions of Superman need to be more political, unlike Clark Kent is a bad reading of the character.
    There have been times when Superman was apolitical, but they were exceptions to the general rule.
    Yeah, I feel like New 52 Superman worked is because they found a way to recontextualized the Golden age Superman and brought him to a modern Superman. Multiple comics have said when Superman was younger, he was more brash and thought with his brawn before his brain, or at least more aggressive ( Superman Birthright, Superman #282, Man of Steel #16/Superman#72, etc). You can’t really be the people’s champ, without being on some type of political level. Superman in Golden Age and early New 52, was someone who didn’t care about stepping on people’s toes in order to really help the people who needed it(fighting domestic abuse, corruption, hit and run drivers, etc without giving much thought and care who got mad). The t-shirt and jeans worked for a young working class hero energy they were going for. His anger and rebelliousness came from his anger at the misuse of power and desire/overzealous energy in doing the right thing.

Superboy’s anger was exactly more teenage rebellion and brash and cocky nature. I feel like they are ways to modernize or revamp and make him interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was a fan of Jak and Daxter as a teen. So I'd add a pet genomorph as a helpful sidekick.
    This doesn't really have anything to do with the (erroneous) claim that New 52 CK is more like Kon than like himself, but I gotta admit, I kinda totally dig it. Genomorphs are cool, and Kon being part genomorph is a fun element of his character. I really get a kick out of the concept of a genomorph sidekick, and I would love to see genomorphs get a bigger role in his sub-mythology.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."