Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 100
  1. #1
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,906

    Default Shouldn't superman have an edgy, cool and mysterious sidekick?

    I mean, batman has robin who is his opposite A fun, goofy, colourful , optimistic kid. So, shouldn't superman have a bit dark, cynical, edgy, cool.. Etc sidekick who is his opposite.

  2. #2

    Default

    Maybe Supergirl back in her red lantern days?
    8877EB46-1BEC-475B-9A3D-5273BA69BD75.jpg

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,194

    Default

    I guess I would question what point Superman having a side kick would be. I mean the man can pretty much do anything he wants. If it is a non powered side kick how would he keep up with Superman or fight the bad guys he does? If he has like the saem powers what is the point of having him in the first place? I like the idea of a street level hero in Metropolis, handling things like bank robberies, muggings, etc... things that are just way below Superman's pay grade. Like the street level guy says yea I will handle the gas station hold up Supes you go beat the Hell out of Doomsday and we will meet up for drinks later.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  4. #4
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I guess I would question what point Superman having a side kick would be. I mean the man can pretty much do anything he wants. If it is a non powered side kick how would he keep up with Superman or fight the bad guys he does? If he has like the saem powers what is the point of having him in the first place? I like the idea of a street level hero in Metropolis, handling things like bank robberies, muggings, etc... things that are just way below Superman's pay grade. Like the street level guy says yea I will handle the gas station hold up Supes you go beat the Hell out of Doomsday and we will meet up for drinks later.
    If a bad cop, needs a good cope. Wouldn't the reverse be also needed? It's for having a dynamic to broaden the reach of the stories and characters . iobo and clark are pretty fun when they team. No, superman can't do everything . He has powerful enough foes. It's not like robin and batman can get shot or something. They have armour "tech" and plot armour. Powerlevels are really only as big as the world he occupies. His powers are reality warping or something like that. It's basic strength, speed, agility, flight, intelligence, freeze and heat ability .. Etc.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member LifeIsILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,564

    Default

    He does have a sidekick, it's Batman.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,590

    Default

    No, Clark's not the sidekick type. Even when he had legacies, he rarely kept them close. Kara has spent most of her history doing her own thing, as has Conner and Steel.

    I honestly think Clark doesn't want a partner or sidekick. Being able to call someone in to help out when he needs an extra pair of hands? Sure, he's fine with that. But having a sidekick around all the time, with the kind of stuff Clark gets into on a regular basis? That's something he doesn't seem interested in; he'd worry too much about the kid keeping up or getting hurt instead of focusing on the mission at hand.

    Really, it wasn't until Jon came along that the idea of Clark having a semi-regular sidekick became a thing in the main continuity and even that isn't exactly a sidekick situation. Clark took some time each week to help train Jon but still did most of his adventuring solo.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  7. #7
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,682

    Default

    "Edgy, Cool, and Mysterious ... SIDEKICK?"

    Hell no.

    I'm open to Kal having costumed sidekicks, as long as they make sense:

    Kara Zor-El/Karen Starr*,
    Lar Gand,
    John Henry Irons,
    Conner,
    Keenan Kong,
    Krypto.

    Any one of those could easily become Clark's less experienced partner with the right set of writers.

    But a new edgy mysterious cool sidekick?

    Superman doesn't need a try-hard Poochie.

    * - I'll still keep banging the drum for the implementation of a merged Kara Zor-El who goes by Karen Starr, starts out as Supergirl (same as Dick and Babs age) and becomes Power Gal upon adulthood.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 08-21-2020 at 08:25 AM.

  8. #8
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I mean, batman has robin who is his opposite A fun, goofy, colourful , optimistic kid. So, shouldn't superman have a bit dark, cynical, edgy, cool.. Etc sidekick who is his opposite.
    10 characters
    What the heart really wants is whiz-bang!

  9. #9
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No, Clark's not the sidekick type. Even when he had legacies, he rarely kept them close. Kara has spent most of her history doing her own thing, as has Conner and Steel.

    I honestly think Clark doesn't want a partner or sidekick. Being able to call someone in to help out when he needs an extra pair of hands? Sure, he's fine with that. But having a sidekick around all the time, with the kind of stuff Clark gets into on a regular basis? That's something he doesn't seem interested in; he'd worry too much about the kid keeping up or getting hurt instead of focusing on the mission at hand.

    Really, it wasn't until Jon came along that the idea of Clark having a semi-regular sidekick became a thing in the main continuity and even that isn't exactly a sidekick situation. Clark took some time each week to help train Jon but still did most of his adventuring solo.
    I am not talking from Character perspective. I am talking more from a story perspective. You need contrasting personalities to make up good stories and make good dynamics. You can't have two jon's to make up supersons. You need a jon and damian for all the bickering . I have noticed everyone of Clark's cast is more the same. Honestly, i have had more fun with clark being stuck with lobo or Constantine.

    And from characters perspective , Clark may not want a sidekick. but doesn't necessarily dictate clark can't get stuck with one in story. You know like a reluctant parental figure.as for the necessity for the character from a readers perspective , increasing adversity and level of conflict for protagonist so that he needs a good partner in the eyes of a reader is dependent on the competence of the writer.Moreover, i do believe the things you mentioned does go through bruces or Barry's minds as well,from characters perspective .
    This also was more of thought experiment. Why doesn't superman has a small version of batman as a sidekick? Especially, when batman has a small version of superman as his sidekick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    10 characters
    I submit to you sir that jimmy is the most hardcore character in the world's.
    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Kara Zor-El/Karen Starr*,
    Lar Gand,
    John Henry Irons,
    Conner,
    Keenan Kong,
    Krypto.
    Honestly, other than krypto and powergirl every other character you mentioned doesn't have much of a fun contrasting dynamics with clark. Dude! I just named a bunch of character traits that's it. I just mean a reverse superman. That's it. That doesn't mean i was looking for a try hard poochie or whatever. I was just wondering why clark doesn't have his own bad cop. That's it. Since batman has a good cop.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-21-2020 at 09:00 AM.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am not talking from Character perspective. I am talking more from a story perspective. You need contrasting personalities to make up good stories and make good dynamics. You can't have two jon's to make up supersons. You need a jon and damian for all the bickering . I have noticed everyone of Clark's cast is more the same. Honestly, i have had more fun with clark being stuck with lobo or Constantine.

    And from characters perspective , Clark may not want a sidekick. but doesn't necessarily dictate clark can't get stuck with one in story. You know like a reluctant parental figure.as for the necessity for the character from a readers perspective , increasing adversity and level of conflict for protagonist so that he needs a good partner in the eyes of a reader is dependent on the competence of the writer.Moreover, i do believe the things you mentioned does go through bruces or Barry's minds as well,from characters perspective .
    Yeah...no

    There's "interesting character dynamics" and then there's "being contrarian". Having them constantly argue over every little thing is both annoying and contrived.

    If two people argue that much, one of them is going to just leave like all the various Robins try to do, but writers never let them.

  11. #11
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Yeah...no

    There's "interesting character dynamics" and then there's "being contrarian". Having them constantly argue over every little thing is both annoying and contrived.

    If two people argue that much, one of them is going to just leave like all the various Robins try to do, but writers never let them.
    Really, if jon and damian didn't have anything they agreed on they wouldn't be running around together. Point blank. They bicker because that's just what they do. Same with batman and robin. They might be dysfunctional. Family is very hard to shake off. They are pretty much stuck with each other. Especially, since they see both good and the bad in each other. Being stuck in frustrating place with opposite views is much better than being stuck in an echo chamber. That's just what i think.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,210

    Default

    The closest thing he has to a Robin equivalent is and should be Jimmy, and I wouldn't call him a pure sidekick.. Supergirl is his distaff counterpart.

    Leave it at those two.

  13. #13
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The closest thing he has to a Robin equivalent is and should be Jimmy, and I wouldn't call him a pure sidekick.. Supergirl is his distaff counterpart.

    Leave it at those two.
    The main man will be hurt by this sentiment.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I mean, batman has robin who is his opposite A fun, goofy, colourful , optimistic kid. So, shouldn't superman have a bit dark, cynical, edgy, cool.. Etc sidekick who is his opposite.
    He's gonna get hated

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    7,194

    Default

    I dont think ever good cop like Superman needs a bad cop to round them out. I dont think every bad cop like Batman needs a good cop. Most of the time when this happens the writers try to hard to show just how different the two are and it kind of drags the story down. We know that Dick has differant thoughts and ways of doing things then Batman I dont need it thrown in my face every time the two get together. Or I dont need the Nightwing inner monologue about stepping out of batman's shadow all the time. It is annoying in the Bat Books and it would be annoying in the Superman family.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •