Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Fundamentally, Superman won't work with any sidekicks because his character is fundamental won't allow him to have a sidekick. His character is always and always be seeing heroes as equals wether it's young or old. Legend or not. So sidekick won't work with him, let alone an edgy one. Besides, Superman already that strong, what can his sidekick do to help him. But it doesn't mean it can become an arc, because I can see him getting a sidekick and a jerk one. kind like Alpha in The Amazing Spider-Man.
    How does having a partner negate seeing people as equals? Superman largely doesn't do it because he sucks at being vulnerable emotionally and letting people in because of the lies he tells.He has a thousand different identities that pull the guy in different direction at different times and on top of that allmighy cosmic powers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    How does having a partner negate seeing people as equals? Superman largely doesn't do it because he sucks at being vulnerable emotionally and letting people in.
    No, what I mean is that the word sidekick means you are not equal in terms of status. Superman never accepting people like that. But partnering is okay, in fact, I would love for Superman team-up comic where Superman doesn't play a second role to Batman. You also right at the fact that Superman sucks at being vulnerable emotionally. One of the best Geoff Johns' Superman stories is the one where Superman lost his powers because of his new solar blaze power and look at how happy he is being vulnerable. He drinks beer for the first time and he immediately drunk. But, he didn't even complain about it, because he is happy. He is happy that finally he become like everyone else. I would like story like that when he is partnering. A hearthfelt story where Superman and his partner Superhero bonded together and just have fun solving mysteries, being superhero or just plain fooling around. Of course in scale of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    No, what I mean is that the word sidekick means you are not equal in terms of status. Superman never accepting people like that. But partnering is okay, in fact, I would love for Superman team-up comic where Superman doesn't play a second role to Batman. You also right at the fact that Superman sucks at being vulnerable emotionally. One of the best Geoff Johns' Superman stories is the one where Superman lost his powers because of his new solar blaze power and look at how happy he is being vulnerable. He drinks beer for the first time and he immediately drunk. But, he didn't even complain about it, because he is happy. He is happy that finally he become like everyone else. I would like story like that when he is partnering. A hearthfelt story where Superman and his partner Superhero bonded together and just have fun solving mysteries, being superhero or just plain fooling around. Of course in scale of Superman.
    It's only of lesser stature if you it as. Wally west, dick grayson... Etc all were sidekicks. Many of these guys are better than their mentors. Having mentor doesn't mean you are lesser than them. It only means you lack some knowledge, experience,... Etc you would like to get from the mentor.

BANNED

It's only of lesser stature if you it as. Wally west, dick grayson... Etc all were sidekicks. Many of these guys are better than their mentors. Having mentor doesn't mean you are lesser than them. It only means you lack some knowledge, experience,... Etc you would like to get from the mentor.
    Now the problem is that the moment Wally West, Dick Grayson, ... Etc graduated from under their wings, they don't become sidekicks anymore. They become a hero on their own. But to get to that point they need to become a sidekick for a quite long time and if we wanted to be realistic this won't be happening because some writer had a view like me where Superman won't take anyone as his sidekick because as you already mentioned his emotion won't allow him to take it under his wings.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

My top picks for potential partners for Superman:
    Brainiac - A reformed/reprogrammed drone. One of the Brainiacs from Krypton.
    Jason Todd - Adopt one of the former Robins. Plus Jason saved Supes' bacon back in For The Man Who Has Everything.
    Ray Palmer - Ray is always on Supes' shoulder in the JL team photo shots. Brains and Brawn.
    Mister Miracle - Fourth World and our world collide.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Jason Todd - Adopt one of the former Robins. Plus Jason saved Supes' bacon back in For The Man Who Has Everything.
    Ray Palmer - Ray is always on Supes' shoulder in the JL team photo shots. Brains and Brawn.
    @bold That would be very neat

I think you could use Conner, Power Girl, or early new52 Kara in that role. Each of them have pessimistic moments or in the case od early new 52 Kara the potential for a pessimistic outlook.

I mean, batman has robin who is his opposite A fun, goofy, colourful , optimistic kid. So, shouldn't superman have a bit dark, cynical, edgy, cool.. Etc sidekick who is his opposite.
    That's Conner. .

While I'm not against this in an Elseworld setting, I'm just wondering how a Jason, without Bruce's training, is able to help Clark. I guess he could be the "eyes and ears", so to speak, on the ground for Clark when he's busy with the Planet or something similar. Outside of that though...

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    While I'm not against this in an Elseworld setting, I'm just wondering how a Jason, without Bruce's training, is able to help Clark. I guess he could be the "eyes and ears", so to speak, on the ground for Clark when he's busy with the Planet or something similar. Outside of that though...
    I figure Clark could take Jason under his wing after he's been resurrected and became the Red Hood. Jason is a hard vigilante, likes Slade Wilson and Adrian Chase. But Jason is still young. Moving Jason to Metropolis, takes him out of the supersaturated Batfam stomping grounds of Gotham and puts him in a different big city, under Superman.

Metropolis has it's own bad area, the Suicide Slum. With other street level vigilantes like Gangbuster and Steel. Plenty of room for the Red Hood. Jason remaining in Bruce's world breaks his universe. Batman just allowing a former protégé of his to use guns, lethal force and fight crime with the skills Batman and the League of Shadow taught him. Should warrant Bruce's full, undivided attention. Similar to how Bruce put all his energy into taming Damian when he first started.

Plus, Jason being a street level hoodlum; going places square-bear Jimmy Olsen can't go. Gives him another leg up.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think you could use Conner, Power Girl, or early new52 Kara in that role. Each of them have pessimistic moments or in the case od early new 52 Kara the potential for a pessimistic outlook.
    I mean.. Kara was Red Lantern for a while. Is that edgy enough?

I figure Clark could take Jason under his wing after he's been resurrected and became the Red Hood. Jason is a hard vigilante, likes Slade Wilson and Adrian Chase. But Jason is still young. Moving Jason to Metropolis, takes him out of the supersaturated Batfam stomping grounds of Gotham and puts him in a different big city, under Superman.

Metropolis has it's own bad area, the Suicide Slum. With other street level vigilantes like Gangbuster and Steel. Plenty of room for the Red Hood. Jason remaining in Bruce's world breaks his universe. Batman just allowing a former protégé of his to use guns, lethal force and fight crime with the skills Batman and the League of Shadow taught him. Should warrant Bruce's full, undivided attention. Similar to how Bruce put all his energy into taming Damian when he first started.

Plus, Jason being a street level hoodlum; going places square-bear Jimmy Olsen can't go. Gives him another leg up.
    This is kinda how we ended up with Dick as Nightwing TBH...

I'd say Lor-Zod could fill that role.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-12-2022 at 05:19 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

**** it,
    Make Superman/Lobo an ongoing!

I would buy the hell out of it, as I am the current miniseries.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    **** it,
    Make Superman/Lobo an ongoing!

I would buy the hell out of it, as I am the current miniseries.
    YJ introduced Lil Lobo and TT introduced Crush so there's an option.

As much as i love the main man and the big blue team ups.Lobo isn't sidekick material..They boyscout cop and terrible cop.They are more like partners...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"