Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chris Claremont pitches a "zany" take on Batman

https://www.gamesradar.com/chris-cla...an-teen-angst/

I'd read it.

They should revive Just Imagine with Claremont like what they did with Stan Lee back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/chris-cla...an-teen-angst/

I'd read it.

They should revive Just Imagine with Claremont like what they did with Stan Lee back in the day.
    That's a pretty nice set up! I would read it.

I’d pick this up. Sounds like a decent Elseworlds/Just Imagine concept.

Agreed, I would love to see him do that as an Elseworld or Just Imagine story. Mini, OGN, whatever, make it happen.

It sounds awful to me. It doesn't sound at all true to the spirit of the characters. It might work better if he did it with all new characters so the work would stand on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It sounds awful to me. It doesn't sound at all true to the spirit of the characters. It might work better if he did it with all new characters so the work would stand on it's own.
    I mean, it's an Elseworld idea from an X-Men writer, reimagining things. It's kind of the point. Like the God's and Monsters version. Regular Batman is still Batmanning it in the regular books. There's a definite point, audience, and profit for these sorts of things.

The point is for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, it's an Elseworld idea from an X-Men writer, reimagining things. It's kind of the point. Like the God's and Monsters version. Regular Batman is still Batmanning it in the regular books. There's a definite point, audience, and profit for these sorts of things.

The point is for fun.
    I love a good Elseworlds, but they work better for me when the change comes from an organic place and the characters still feel true to themselves in a different situation. That's not what that feels like.
    Giving it some thought, it's having Harley as a teenage street kid that bothers me. Harleen wouldn't be Harley without the backstory with the Joker. Even for an Elseworld for her to just randomly adopt that persona feels kind of slap dash. If they replaced Harley with Holly I'd probably be more receptive to it.
    Last edited by witchboy; 08-22-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I agree.
    I feel redundant put Bruce in the role of "born tactician" and Selina in the role of "strategic mind" and I don't see Harley a believable inspirational character. I would put Selina in the role of loose cannon of the trio, I would substitute Harley with Poison Ivy and I'm neither sure about the aliens: maybe it could works in the Gotham setting, if it were more an occult infiltration than a classical invasion; maybe.

Joker would be there, but leading a very different army as "the core of Gotham's elite.
    I could see Joker being very rich but then losing everything and everyone he has in one very bad day

I don't Harley being apart of the three, instead the love triangle is between Bruce, Selina and Holly, with Bruce and Holly both caring for Selina.

Batman's mythos is pretty solid and well-explored so its hard to come up with new takes.

I just thought it was a fun spin on things. It reminded me of Anarky mixed in with the low-fi angle from Darren Aronofsky's Year one pitch.

The Harleen Part is what I'm skeptical about but Claremont could change my mind. The love triangle could work but i always just found those tiresome in the longterm( same with unrequited love).

I love a good Elseworlds, but they work better for me when the change comes from an organic place and the characters still feel true to themselves in a different situation. That's not what that feels like.
    Giving it some thought, it's having Harley as a teenage street kid that bothers me. Harleen wouldn't be Harley without the backstory with the Joker. Even for an Elseworld for her to just randomly adopt that persona feels kind of slap dash. If they replaced Harley with Holly I'd probably be more receptive to it.
    Well, it's not that weird in some recent work - she's already a sort of Harley Quinn without the Joker in Breaking Glass, she hunts the Joker without falling in love in Criminal Sanity, so there's definite recent precedence in playing with Harley being Harley regardless of the Joker. This kind of feels like a mash up of things. Silver Age Batman's origin where the murder of the Wayne's wasn't random but a hit (Chill working for Lew Moxon), Owlman's origin (falling in with criminals after the murder), with Selina Kyle and Breaking Glass Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    I agree.
    I feel redundant put Bruce in the role of "born tactician" and Selina in the role of "strategic mind" and I don't see Harley a believable inspirational character. I would put Selina in the role of loose cannon of the trio, I would substitute Harley with Poison Ivy and I'm neither sure about the aliens: maybe it could works in the Gotham setting, if it were more an occult infiltration than a classical invasion; maybe.
    I can see Harley being the inspiration one as in she has these wacky, crazy ideas that the other two then have to make into practical, workable plans.

And aliens? Only one alien was mentioned. A flying one from Metropolis across the bay, aka Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I could see Joker being very rich but then losing everything and everyone he has in one very bad day

I don't Harley being apart of the three, instead the love triangle is between Bruce, Selina and Holly, with Bruce and Holly both caring for Selina.
    Holly is traditionally much younger than Bruce and Selina, and would never compete with her for a love interest, so you'd have to change her just as much as Harley.

So far in all the posts against this, the sticking point seems to be Harley. But a lot of people like Harley and the guy probably wants to write Harley. I don't think Elseworlds should be restricted based on which characters we don't like or are burnt out on.

Astonishing Member

There seems to be an obsession off-late with turning Batman into some kind of Robin Hood-esq crusader against the rich.

Well, it's not that weird in some recent work - she's already a sort of Harley Quinn without the Joker in Breaking Glass, she hunts the Joker without falling in love in Criminal Sanity, so there's definite recent precedence in playing with Harley being Harley regardless of the Joker. This kind of feels like a mash up of things. Silver Age Batman's origin where the murder of the Wayne's wasn't random but a hit (Chill working for Lew Moxon), Owlman's origin (falling in with criminals after the murder), with Selina Kyle and Breaking Glass Harley.

I can see Harley being the inspiration one as in she has these wacky, crazy ideas that the other two then have to make into practical, workable plans.

And aliens? Only one alien was mentioned. A flying one from Metropolis across the bay, aka Superman.

Holly is traditionally much younger than Bruce and Selina, and would never compete with her for a love interest, so you'd have to change her just as much as Harley.

So far in all the posts against this, the sticking point seems to be Harley. But a lot of people like Harley and the guy probably wants to write Harley. I don't think Elseworlds should be restricted based on which characters we don't like or are burnt out on.
    I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Harley in Breaking Glass. The age difference is an issue with both Harley and Holly, but at least with Holly the character would feel true to herself except for the age. Just no love triangle please, there's enough story there without that. Bruce and Selina can generate enough drama all on their own.
    And I love Harley, I just want her used well.
    I am a big fan of Claremont's classic work, I just don't care for this pitch for those characters. The pitch itself is ok, I just feel it's a poor fit for these particular characters.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

[…]
    […]
    You are right, but when I read about Harley in the inspiring role (to have crazy ideas isn't inspire something in the others) and the umpteenth story about some "Kids in revolutionary conflict with the Establishment" (in my opinion this kind plot often end in a story that pretend to be mature, but it isn't), my interest in what he was suggesting dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    There seems to be an obsession off-late with turning Batman into some kind of Robin Hood-esq crusader against the rich.
    How do? In which books?
    And there's a lot of hate against the uber wealthy lately for obvious reasons.
    I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Harley in Breaking Glass. The age difference is an issue with both Harley and Holly, but at least with Holly the character would feel true to herself except for the age. Just no love triangle please, there's enough story there without that. Bruce and Selina can generate enough drama all on their own.
    And I love Harley, I just want her used well.
    I am a big fan of Claremont's classic work, I just don't care for this pitch for those characters. The pitch itself is ok, I just feel it's a poor fit for these particular characters.
    I mean, he said he wants to write a love triangle. And Harley is getting more experimental takes. Frankly for a writer driven out of continuity take, I'd rather let him go with his vision and see what happens. There's enough stories in continuity anyways that people don't feel is true to the character, so better to take it in an outside book right?

If I could approve his pitch for a big OGN I would.
    But then I was also the only one saying that Gotham High book had a place too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    You are right, but when I read about Harley in the inspiring role (to have crazy ideas isn't inspire something in the others) and the umpteenth story about some "Kids in revolutionary conflict with the Establishment" (in my opinion this kind plot often end in a story that pretend to be mature, but it isn't), my interest in what he was suggesting dropped.
    Then that just means it isn't a story for you - not that it shouldn't be done. I don't know, I would give it a try.