Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There was a pretty fair made-for TV movie about his Christmas assault on the Hessians starring Jeff Daniels, but not a full life story that I'm aware of. In some ways, Washington gets treated like Christ in the US as a figure no one wants to really dig at for fear of backlash. Be interesting to see Spike Lee take a run at him.
    Dealing with the slave-owning issue would be a sure way to piss off one side or the other, for sure. He owned slaves, disliked slavery but didn't have the courage to free his and guarantee his own financial ruin. He was like Jefferson in that respect. But no matter how you handled it in this statue-toppling era, you would be accused of both being too easy on him and being too harsh.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'm surprised no one has done a David Bowie biopic, since he died. Part 3 in the "LGBTQ Rock Superstars of the 70's" trilogy after Rocket Man and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Extraordinary Member

I would love to see a film about the life of Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks. She's had one amazing life from what I've read. Plus, her music has touched so many people.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Dealing with the slave-owning issue would be a sure way to piss off one side or the other, for sure. He owned slaves, disliked slavery but didn't have the courage to free his and guarantee his own financial ruin. He was like Jefferson in that respect. But no matter how you handled it in this statue-toppling era, you would be accused of both being too easy on him and being too harsh.
    I mentioned Spike Lee on Washington, what would be wild would be a Biopic on Washington told from two points of view. One being Hamilton, maybe directed by Mel Gibson, and the other from the POV of one of Washington's slaves, directed by Lee.

Fantastic Member

the Story of the Eldin Marbles.
    A Scottish Lord around 1800 steals(audaciously robbs) serveral parts of the Parthenon in Athens.

Mighty Member

Fascinated by biopics and true crime. Would love a saving Mr Banks type movie about the making of little mermaid.
    Also true crime film about the druggies who robbed an armoured car and used the money to make the world's most expensive gay adult movie!

Apparently, Joseph Stalin tried to have John Wayne assassinated. Personally, I think this would make a terrific comedy sort of in the same vein as the Coen Bros. HAIL CAESAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGKD6qL6Vas

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Has there ever been a really good biopic of George Washington?
    I was thinking the same thing about Teddy Roosevelt. I know at one point DiCaprio was going to play him in a movie directed by Scorsese, but I have not heard anything about it in a while. Roosevelt had a very interesting life and it would make for a very interesting movie or mini series.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about Teddy Roosevelt. I know at one point DiCaprio was going to play him in a movie directed by Scorsese, but I have not heard anything about it in a while. Roosevelt had a very interesting life and it would make for a very interesting movie or mini series.
    Brian Keith did a good depiction of him in The Wind And The Lion, and from what I know of Roosevelt, Tom Berenger did an even better one in Rough Riders. The former is a heavily fictionalized account of the historical events, and the latter closer to both the history and the man. But neither is a full biopic.

Mighty Member

Ian Fleming, Roald Dahl, Christopher Lee, David Niven and some other famous names were part of a military intelligence unit in ww2. Info on this remains classified....

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    He went bankrupt after disco godfather flopped but continued his live act. He appeared in one of the penitentiary sequels.
    An Isley Brothers movie featuring their ups and downs over decades would be cool too.
    Much like Aliyah once you get to the 90s for the Isley Brothers R Kelly would have to play a big role. Ronald Isley had a big resurgence with songs connected to R Kelly. Down low, Contagious,and Busted. Contagious is a classic IMo but R Kelly in it so that makes it an issue. Dont get me wrong I still listen to it, same with some of Kellys songs. Its kinda easy with him since he was stupid and we know he doesn't own any of his music. So he's not really profiting from my listening to I wish or I believe I can fly. Anyway nothing but love for the Isley brothers for the early days all the way to the Mr bigs days. So Id be down, but Rkellys shadow would loom large unless you stop before the late 90s.

Boisterously Confused

Ian Fleming, Roald Dahl, Christopher Lee, David Niven and some other famous names were part of a military intelligence unit in ww2. Info on this remains classified....
    In that line, Basil Rathbone, Claude Raines, and Ronald Coleman all served in the same regiment in WWI. Coleman had a lifelong limp from it. Rathbone was decorated for frequently posing as a French peasant behind German lines.

Robert Smalls

Check list
    Born a slave
    Liberates his family and himself
    Does this by stealing and successfully navigating confederate supply ship
    War hero
    Congressman.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 09-06-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Zumbi and Quilombo of Palmares

Quilombo, for those who aren't brazilians, was the refuge for fugitive african slaves on Brasil. Palmares was the biggest quilombo to exist on Brasil, it lasted around 1580 to 1695, and at the highest of it's power it had around 20 thousand inhabitants, mostly africans, but also native tribes and even a few whites. The men of Palmares would raid farms on the region and free slaves.

For decades Palmares defeated several attacks from the portugueses and land owners, until it fell to an army of over 6 thousand men with artillery. The last leader of Palmares was Zumbi, who didn't accepted a deal with the Governor, where he would let Palmares by itself as long as they stoped freeing slaves.

There's been a few TV movies and miniseries that have dealt with that, although I think they dramatize his life a bit to bring in the Bond audience.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth