Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I don't like this new backstory for Mon-El being a descendant of Superman, just another example of Bendis changing history again. I preferred his original backstory.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

It's funny I should read this right now because I just finished reading the Showcase edition of the earliest Silver Age Legion stories, many of which I originally read as a kid.

It also vividly reminds me that the world of a thousand years in the future is conveniently and almost of necessity really the culture of the time the stories are being written. So the Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad of the original stories are clearly the best of the best of kids of the late 1950s while the current incarnations are kids of the 21st century (or maybe the 1980s judging by Cosmic Boy's haircut in the clips I've seen).

But all of this is by way of saying this thread has gotten me interested enough to check out these new stories and that's saying a lot because it's been a long while since I've read a comic that isn't a reprint or retro in some way.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I don't like this new backstory for Mon-El being a descendant of Superman, just another example of Bendis changing history again. I preferred his original backstory.
    I'm a lot like that too. I'm like, "No. No. It was Superboy that inspired the existence of the Legion and, by Superboy, I mean the adventures of Superman when he was a boy". And the "original origin" of Mon-El works great but I'm okay with a new one because I know only the original origin is canon and this is an Elseworlds. [Don't take me too seriously. I'm halfway being nostalgic and halfway joking].

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But all of this is by way of saying this thread has gotten me interested enough to check out these new stories and that's saying a lot because it's been a long while since I've read a comic that isn't a reprint or retro in some way.
    This is genuinely cool to hear. The only reason I even start threads or come this site at all anymore is to share my enthusiasm for these books, and talk them through with people who want to talk about them. So it's really, really cool to hear that this thread got you interested in the book.

Hope you enjoy the book!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I'm a lot like that too. I'm like, "No. No. It was Superboy that inspired the existence of the Legion and, by Superboy, I mean the adventures of Superman when he was a boy". And the "original origin" of Mon-El works great but I'm okay with a new one because I know only the original origin is canon and this is an Elseworlds. [Don't take me too seriously. I'm halfway being nostalgic and halfway joking].
    Wasn't the original origin him being kal's big brother?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Wasn't the original origin him being kal's big brother?
    He had come to earth but lost his memory and became like a big brother to Superboy who named him Mon for the day they met, a Monday, and El for Superboy's Kryptonian family name. Then, the only way to save him from lead poisoning was to project him into the Phantom Zone where he was trapped for a thousand years until the Legion found an antidote.

So, I managed to find issues numbers 7 and 8. Some quick thoughts.

I love the squabbling. It isn't too vicious but a lot more realistic. A group of teenagers are not going to get along perfectly.

Really liking Superboy and the new twist on Chameleon Boy. Lightning Lad and Lass being black is a nice touch that gets someone who isn't white in as a founder.

Like the art especially on the cover. Lots of good stuff. Saturn Girl's new insignia, the new look for Shadow Lass, Colossal Boy being naturally huge and doesn't have growth at all but shrinking. Triplicate Girl having three consciousnesses within her all the time (which will explain the trauma if she loses one of them and becomes Duo Damsel) and so many of the characters, while still being humanoid, at least looking less than 100% human like Phantom Girl.

Interesting that they went with Cosmic Boy being the first leader as per original tradition but him not being a great leader. But they don't follow the tradition of Saturn Girl becoming the second leader and the first elected leader.

Of course, I haven't found the first six issues and probably won't until either someone at the comic store sells them back as used comics or the first collection comes out.

All in all, very good. The hilarious thing is that I also just started reading the second Showcase Volume of the original Silver Age Legion. The Legion of Super Pets (Krypto, Streaky the Super Cat, Super Horse and Super Monkey are deciding whether or not to let Proty II onto their team. Talk about a contrast between the two things I'm reading.