Mighty Member

Default Maestro (2020 limited series)

Picked up issue 1 this week.

Anyone actually read it yet?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Astonishing Member

I read it and i am going to collect this limited series.
    Very good creative team(Even with Dale Keown not doing all the art for the stories because German Peralta did good art as well)

Quote Originally Posted by comicscollector View Post
    I read it and i am going to collect this limited series.
    Very good creative team(Even with Dale Keown not doing all the art for the stories because German Peralta did good art as well)
    Same. Very enjoyable issue. Looking forward to seeing how it all began.

Mighty Member

Flipped through the first issue. (Planning to read in detail soonish.).

Amusingly, David ignores Waid's "History of the Marvel Universe". (Not unexpected. But, it really undermines a much hyped series that doubled as a sourcebook.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Flipped through the first issue. (Planning to read in detail soonish.).

Amusingly, David ignores Waid's "History of the Marvel Universe". (Not unexpected. But, it really undermines a much hyped series that doubled as a sourcebook.)
    Did he ignore it? I didn't find anything that contradicted what was briefly said in the History of the Marvel Universe that Waid wrote. I guess you can say he kinda ignored what was said PRIOR to WW3, but i see those as separate events and tales for other writers to talk about, as for this we just go into the future from the point where WW3 happens, which is mentioned in the History of the MU.

Mighty Member

Waid's "History of the Marvel Universe" places "Future Imperfect" after "Days of Future Past", Deathlok's future (once described as the 90s), 2099, Machine Man's future (the distant year of...2020), and Killraven(?!?!?).

I don't expect David to recognize and incorporate various contrary futures that were never meant to correspond. It just amuses me that Marvel pushed " History of..." as definitive, and it is already being ignored.

The series itself reads well enough, though David referencing real love events and problems highlights one of the problems with super heroes as a genre.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I read it; got it for its promise of personnel, shocked at how boring I found it. Old-time (Herb Trimpe) Incredible Hulk fan, lost interest waaaay way back, until the Joe Fixit stories. Followed Red Hulk for a while; followed/following Immortal Hulk from the start; most Hulk titles haven't interested me, so have no background about Maestro. Had (clearly much-too- ) high hopes for this series given Peter David and Co., but no, not for me. Can't find any reason to pursue this one further. Convince me otherwise, anyone?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I read it; got it for its promise of personnel, shocked at how boring I found it. Old-time (Herb Trimpe) Incredible Hulk fan, lost interest waaaay way back, until the Joe Fixit stories. Followed Red Hulk for a while; followed/following Immortal Hulk from the start; most Hulk titles haven't interested me, so have no background about Maestro. Had (clearly much-too- ) high hopes for this series given Peter David and Co., but no, not for me. Can't find any reason to pursue this one further. Convince me otherwise, anyone?
    It's a pretty slow and underwhelming start i will agree with you on that, i don't think that's gonna change if i am being honest. As a Hulk fan i was actually never the biggest Peter David fan although he did have his interesting stories to write from time to time but definitely nowadays the man is in his 60's and i think his best stories are far, FAR behind him at this point. Everything i have read from him in the last decade or so has been pretty meh...
    I'd say stick with Immortal Hulk if you are already reading that, you can skip on the Maestro one.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 09-05-2020 at 08:54 PM.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Thanks, intothevoid. Felt sure I was gonna find myself alone in this one.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

It was a great first issue and glad David is able to write the Maestro's origin.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 09-05-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Mighty Member

I agree that David is showing his age. But, he is aging better than many of his contemporaries.

Not sure why he went for the "impotent heroes" line (talking about real world disasters/problems). But, I am willing to see where he is going with it.

Oddly, while Maestro is Peter David's character, my favorite iteration is Ewing's (from "Contest of Champions"). Brisson also made good use of Maestro in " Old Man Logan".

I love the first issue. The opening sequence was gut-wrenching, poor alternate Bruce the guy can't ever catch a break. His luck is worse than Peter Parker's. I'm anxious to see what happens next.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."