Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

More to that point if you use obscure villains nobody is going to really know who they are or question what happened to them when they die
    Some people even now probably think Magpie is in comic book limbo and not actually dead

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    More to that point if you use obscure villains nobody is going to really know who they are or question what happened to them when they die
    Some people even now probably think Magpie is in comic book limbo and not actually dead
    Magpie just showed up in Murphy's Catwoman, so that might be the reason for the confusion.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Magpie just showed up in Murphy's Catwoman, so that might be the reason for the confusion.
    Maybe those people were the editors! What a twist!

Gunn seems like a good fit for what the movie is clearly trying to be, which is their irreverent, violent action comedy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Batman was an antagonist in the film.
    That's what Snyder wanted, not what he made. Instead of giving them both equal screen time Batman got the majority, far more depth, and had a story arc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Because of the potentially disposable nature/short term work of the Suicide Squad, they can probably get some higher tier actors they wouldn't normally be able to get. Who wouldn't want to play a crazy character, go out in a blaze of glory in a cool death scene and then not be committed for 527 films?

I would like to see more "heroic" characters in the SS other than Flagg. No Katana, Bronze Tiger, Nightshade, etc. How are they going to keep all of these crazy people in check?
    Exactly.

Not bringing Katana back was my only disappointment so far with Gunn's Squad. They should bring her back for the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Did Murphy write the story? Because that guy couldn’t even keep the order of the Robins correct, he thought Jason came before Dick which is why he had Jason as Batman’s first Robin in White Knight. No surprise he can’t be bothered to keep up with DC’s ever shifting main continuity.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

After seeing the Roll Call video, I'm waaaay more excited about this than any of the other DC movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Did Murphy write the story? Because that guy couldn’t even keep the order of the Robins correct, he thought Jason came before Dick which is why he had Jason as Batman’s first Robin in White Knight. No surprise he can’t be bothered to keep up with DC’s ever shifting main continuity.
    Was that by accident or design? Y'know, "just to change things up."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    By the look of the behind the scenes stuff polka Dot Man at least makes it to the big beach battle. The whole point of the Squad is they are expendable that is why Waller uses them.
    expendable doesn't mean useless. The original Suicide Squad consisted of Bronze Tiger, Boomerang, Deadshot, Enchantress, MindBoggler and Plastique with some of the WW2 SS coming back. Notice something about them? Although they are kinda goofy they all bring something useful to the table. Deadshot is a master assassin, Boomerang is survivalist with trick boomerangs, Bronze Tiger is a master of close combat, Enchantress is witch, Mindboggler can create illusions and Plastique can make thing explode. And of the original cast only Mindboggler and the WW2 SS end up dying. So again what does Polka Dot Man or TDK bring to the table or why Task Force X needs 4 expert marksmen on the team? I can't remember any time when a suicide squad had this big of a team. Also how the hell is Mongal part of the suicide squad? TBH I was holding out that Harley wouldn't be in it again which does beg the question why is she back on it since she was free in BoP

It just seems like Gunn focused on all of the humor and goofiness of the Ostrander run and ignore any of the characterization or thought that made the run interesting which was the problem with Ayer's Suicide Squad

Polka Dot Man, assuming he made his own tech, was capable of making hover discs large enough to support human weightas well as combat ready gimmick dots, so he's not as goofy. I can see him having actual utility.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Polka Dot Man, assuming he made his own tech, was capable of making hover discs large enough to support human weightas well as combat ready gimmick dots, so he's not as goofy. I can see him having actual utility.
    He is still a joke character and looks ridiculous. But again why does this team have 4 marksman, a human sized weasel man and Mongul’s freaking sister?

Look there are 2 directions you can take the Suicide squad with just off it’s basic premise. You can have it be a heart filled character study and gritty war movie or just a goofy adventure movie with anti heroes and villains. Gunn is clearly going for the latter considering all he talked about was the action and spectacle and how funny it is. He mainly does comedies and given that the only superhero movies he has done were straight up parodies I don’t see how this will be any different

also keep in mind the ostrander suicide squad was more down to earth and gritty. Besides Enchantress there was nothing funny or silly about the original squad team. I even doubt if Gunn even likes comics
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-26-2020 at 11:15 AM.

If you watched Guardians of the Galaxy and thought they were parodies, I'm not sure what to say. They were certainly comedic in parts but there is plenty of pathos in there too. Especially in Vol.2.

We have no idea if the entire cast is on the team simultaneously, or how it's structured or anything. To cast judgement on it before it comes out is silly in my mind. I also think it's silly to complain about Polka Dot Man being too silly for the Squad considering Ostrander made use of goofy characters like the Weasel, Mindboggler, Shade the Changing Man, pre-revamp Poison Ivy, *Grant Morrison* and Captain Boomerang, who was intentionally written as parody. To talk about Ostrander's run without his excellent use of parody and humor is to rob him of praise he deserves. It helped balance the book without it being all political intrigue all the time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    If you watched Guardians of the Galaxy and thought they were parodies, I'm not sure what to say. They were certainly comedic in parts but there is plenty of pathos in there too. Especially in Vol.2.

So a character asking who Star Lord was and Star Lord acting like a child or calling themselves assholes is not self parody? They were all flanderized. Guardians 2 did develop Quill a bit more but it ended up being pointless since Ego devolves into a generic villain and what should’ve been. like i don’t get why people criticized Mark Millar for making marvel heroes look like assholes when the guardians by their own admission are assholes

We have no idea if the entire cast is on the team simultaneously, or how it's structured or anything. To cast judgement on it before it comes out is silly in my mind. I also think it's silly to complain about Polka Dot Man being too silly for the Squad considering Ostrander made use of goofy characters like the Weasel, Mindboggler, Shade the Changing Man, pre-revamp Poison Ivy, *Grant Morrison* and Captain Boomerang, who was intentionally written as parody. To talk about Ostrander's run without his excellent use of parody and humor is to rob him of praise he deserves. It helped balance the book without it being all political intrigue all the time.
    He didn’t treat them as jokes. And usually they were canon fodder. Regardless there are just somethings you can get away with in comics and drawing that don’t work in live action. Like people say the characters designs from Aquaman and this movie look stupid but not many people say that about the comics because what works for drawings don’t work in live action (Most of the time i actually like the costume designs for aquaman and this movie which makes me wonder why Gunn didn’t make the guardians collapse their comics and just had them wear crimson leather)

Like I said there are two directions you can take the suicide squad and i prefer the gritty approach. Campiness works for characters like Spider-Man or Aquaman and the mcu guardians but i don’t think the suicide squad needs to be campy to work and would work better as a gritty war movie. Putting aside his personal issues it kinda sucks Mel Gibson wasn’t brought on like early speculations had because he can direct amazing war movies. Also sucks well probably never see Ayer’s vision since it looked more gritty than just a GotG clone

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I for one am jazzed to see POLKA-DOT MAN in live action.
    His movie costume is spot on to his comic book costume.
    Loving the look.

I think Gunn is going for a mix of his usual style with some influences from the Ostander run.