Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

No, I wouldn't say that qualifies GotG as a parody. A parody is, by definition, a satire of a work that criticizes it through broad humor. GotG has actual character development, stakes, plot and lasting consequences. Superduperman from Mad Magazine was a prody. GotG is a superhero story with a comedic bent, no different than works by Grant Morrison or Peter David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Besides Enchantress there was nothing funny or silly about the original squad team.
    Having just read the entire Ostrander run on DC Universe recently, that is 100 percent not true in the slightest. Ostrander and Yale were great at stakes and drama, but they were also really funny and their tenure was full of black humor.

There was literally a running gag about people getting hit in the face with pies and Boomerang was treated as a goofy comic relief character most of the time.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-26-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    No, I wouldn't say that qualifies GotG as a parody. A parody is, by definition, a satire of a work that criticizes it through broad humor. GotG has actual character development, stakes, plot and lasting consequences. Superduperman from Mad Magazine was a prody. GotG is a superhero story with a comedic bent, no different than works by Grant Morrison or Peter David.
    and you’re telling me it doesn’t satirize superhero tropes? Starship Trooper had actual characters and stakes but that’s was a satire too

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Having just read the entire Ostranbder run recently, that is 100 percent not true in the slightest. Ostrander and Yale were great at stakes and drama, but they were also really funny and their full of black humor.

There was literally a running gag about people getting hit in the face with pies and Boomerang was treated as a goofy comic relief character most of the time.
    i was talking about the characters themselves. characters like TDK, the polka dot man, weasel and Ratcatcher are innately stupid and humorous. Captain Boomerang is arguably the closest to this but they still take him seriously as a character and not just “aren’t boomerangs so silly?” And Ayers movie did the same thing and will probably be the same for this movie i’m not complaining about that. But just shoving as many obscure and stupid characters doesn’t make it funny

I know there was humor in it but it wasn’t just “look at these wacky characters are comics so silly?”
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-26-2020 at 12:53 PM.

i was talking about the characters themselves. characters like TDK, the polka dot man, weasel and Ratcatcher are innately stupid and humorous.
    Someone must've forgotten to tell Ostrander that since Weasel being part of the Squad was from the SS/Doom Patrol crossover he wrote.

Captain Boomerang is arguably the closest to this but they still take him seriously as a character
    He is the butt of jokes most of the time he appears. It's a running gag that they have to get him drunk or knock him out to take him on missions because he's too much of a coward to go willingly. And he's every bit as gimmicky and silly as a character like Polka-Dot Man, it's just that SS made him a fan favorite.

Incredible Member

Someone must've forgotten to tell Ostrander that since Weasel being part of the Squad was from the SS/Doom Patrol crossover he wrote.
    And he died in that what’s your point? Despite what people like to think it was still obvious in Ostrander’s run which ones were canon fodder

He is the butt of jokes most of the time he appears. It's a running gag that they have to get him drunk or knock him out to take him on missions because he's too much of a coward.
    That’s how he more or less acted in Flash comics. Flash also poked fun at him and made puns about boomerangs. but his existence wasn’t the humor like Polkadot man

Ultimate Member

Having just read the entire Ostrander run on DC Universe recently, that is 100 percent not true in the slightest. Ostrander and Yale were great at stakes and drama, but they were also really funny and their tenure was full of black humor.

Yeah, the original SS knew when to pull back.

That made the gut punches hurt more

And he died in that what’s your point? Despite what people like to think it was still obvious in Ostrander’s run which ones were canon fodder
    You say that as though a lot of these characters aren't cannon fodder lol.

That’s how he more or less acted in Flash comics. Flash also poked fun at him and made puns about boomerangs. but his existence wasn’t the humor like Polkadot man
    Which means zilch. Point is the claim that the comic had no jokes or silly, gimmicky characters like the movie is demonstrably untrue.

Incredible Member

You say that as though a lot of these characters aren't cannon fodder lol.
    You think most of The Suicide Squad cast isn’t canon fodder? even the weasel in that comic was a normal guy in a costume not an actual weasel

Which means zilch. Point is the claim that the comic had no jokes or silly, gimmicky characters like the movie is demonstrably untrue.
    I literally never said it had no humor. Do not misquote me. I even said you can take the suicide squad into two directions me being a campy tone which Gunn is going for. it had humor but only to break the tension of the very serious and real dangers. because they knew they had a chance to die. However there is a big difference between occasional slapstick and going her de dur look at these stupid looking characters. Like in GotG Vol 2 why even include TaserFace is all you’re going to do is have rocket say the obvious for 3 whole minutes? We get it he is a stupid character just kill him and move on. Point is I don’t think Suicide squad should be campy like spider man or aquaman or even ant man

Also i’d say the 2000s and new 52 is what amped up the zaniness of the suicide squad and added more and more ridiculous characters like Yo Yo and King Shark
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-26-2020 at 01:18 PM.

You think most of The Suicide Squad cast isn’t canon fodder?
    I literally just said they were lol.

I lliterally never said it had no humor. Do not misquote me. I even said you can take the suicide squad into two directions me being a campy tone which Gunn is going for. it had humor but only to break the tension of the very serious and real dangers. because they knew they had a chance to die. However there is a big difference between occasional slapstick and going her de dur look at these stupid looking characters. Like in GotG Vol 2 why even include TaserFace is all you’re going to do is have rocket say the obvious for 3 whole minutes? We get it he is a stupid character just kill him and move on. Point is I don’t think Suicide squad should be campy like spider man or aquaman or even ant man
    This seems more like you personally have issues with Gunn and are projecting them onto a version of the original comics that don't really exist.

Incredible Member

I literally just said they were lol.
    Yeah and that’s the problem. As much as people want to make Ostrander’s run look like 24 after the first arc it became obvious the Deadshot, Bronze tiger and Flagg were the main characters. Even Flagg faked his death. What I’m getting at is in Ayer’s Suicide Squad it was obvious who was going to die within the first 10 minutes. This one is no different

Like when Ayer’s Suicide squad came out did you think Harley Quinn or Deadshot would die before Slipknot?

This seems more like you personally have issues with Gunn and are projecting them onto a version of the original comics that don't really exist.
    Do you think Ostrander’s run was campy? Is that how you would describe Vol 1 of Suicide Squad? If anyone is projecting it is you. I said the original run has goofy moments and silly characters who were canon fodder. But the run as a whole was not comedic nor did it rely on stupid ass characters to be humorous

Do you think Ostrander’s run was campy? Is that how you would describe Vol 1 of Suicide Squad?
    Did I say it was? I said the specific version you've described where the series was devoid of cannon fodder, humor or gimmick villains doesn't exist. Like I said, seems like you just have beef with Gunn and are upset others aren't agreeing with you.

Incredible Member

Did I say it was? I said the specific version you've described where the series was devoid of cannon fodder, humor or gimmick villains doesn't exist. Like I said, seems like you just have beef with Gunn and are upset others aren't agreeing with you.
    No but i am asking you if you think his run was campy?

Also comic book villains are literally nothing but gimmicky so what’s your point?

then why did people complain about slipknot in the first movie?
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 08-26-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Also comic book villains are literally nothing but gimmicky so what’s your point?
    Now you're getting it.

I am a big fan of Gunns Guardians movies. Think they are pretty much perfect. That being said I don't think this looks terribly good. But then again I haven't enjoyed any DC movies since the Nolan Bat Trilogy. But I will probably see it because my son wants to check it out.