Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Retired

They always make Batman movies with the trademark villains in them. 1966 BATMAN had four commercial crooks--Joker, Catwoman, Penguin and Riddler. 1989 BATMAN had only one, the Joker--the lowest number of trademark rogues in any solo Batman movie other than the serials--as long as you don't count Harvey Dent, Grissom, Alicia and Bob. BATMAN RETURNS had Penguin and Catwoman, plus Max Shreck. BATMAN FOREVER had Harvey Two-Face and Riddler, plus Sugar and Spice. BATMAN AND ROBIN had Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Dr. Jason Woodrue and Bane. BATMAN BEGINS had Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow, plus Carmine Falcone and Joe Chill. THE DARK KNIGHT had Joker and Two-Face, plus Boss Maroni (and a Scarecrow cameo). THE DARK KNIGHT RISES had Bane, Catwoman, Talia (plus Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul cameos). THE BATMAN (2021) is supposed to have Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman--plus possibly a lot more.

I feel like this imposes a formula structure on the movies, that persists no matter how different the tone of each. There are certain things that have to happen in the plot to introduce these action figures. It's never going to happen, but just once I'd like to see a solo Batman movie that isn't filled with the trademark merchandise bad guys and simply has regular crooks that we've never seen before.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    They always make Batman movies with the trademark villains in them. 1966 BATMAN had four commercial crooks--Joker, Catwoman, Penguin and Riddler. 1989 BATMAN had only one, the Joker--the lowest number of trademark rogues in any solo Batman movie other than the serials--as long as you don't count Harvey Dent, Grissom, Alicia and Bob. BATMAN RETURNS had Penguin and Catwoman, plus Max Shreck. BATMAN FOREVER had Harvey Two-Face and Riddler, plus Sugar and Spice. BATMAN AND ROBIN had Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Dr. Jason Woodrue and Bane. BATMAN BEGINS had Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow, plus Carmine Falcone and Joe Chill. THE DARK KNIGHT had Joker and Two-Face, plus Boss Maroni (and a Scarecrow cameo). THE DARK KNIGHT RISES had Bane, Catwoman, Talia (plus Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul cameos). THE BATMAN (2021) is supposed to have Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman--plus possibly a lot more.

I feel like this imposes a formula structure on the movies, that persists no matter how different the tone of each. There are certain things that have to happen in the plot to introduce these action figures. It's never going to happen, but just once I'd like to see a solo Batman movie that isn't filled with the trademark merchandise bad guys and simply has regular crooks that we've never seen before.
    Good point, it would be interesting to see a movie with Batman taking on regular criminals. I never really considering that before it's especially interesting that in the wake of Joker. Since Joker showed him as just a normal dude in the right place at the right time rather than be a super villain mastermind. So for all the people who wanted more of that why couldn't we have a Batman in a corrupt but normal corrupt Gotham, rather than always needing him to fight super villains. Rather than try to make comic villains mundane just have original mundane villains.

BANNED

Upsetting news. Pattinson has tested positive for Covid 19

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...an-coronavirus
    Source: Robert Pattinson Has COVID-19, Halting The Batman Production

Get well soon Mr Battinson

I'm happy to see Riddler and Penguin again considering how long it's been since they've appeared in live action (I don't watch Gotham) but I wish we could have gotten villains that haven't been adapted to live action yet.

I think the dark, realistic vibe is well trodded territory already. I think you can have a darker vibe but still incorporate villains like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy and Mad Hatter.