Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I got the feeling of early 1970s Batman. The fact that he's at the crime scene and Gordon is talking to him. Grounded villains (early '70s almost completely did without the costumed villains). If his costume wasn't a suit of armour then it would be right in that ballpark.

I don't like the super-powered crooks in solo Batman movies--just as I don't in the comics. I tolerate the costumed crooks. But I want Batman's detective stories to be a semi-real world where the crimes he's trying to solve are at ground level. The Nolan movies were already going too much over into unrealistic villain territory.

Movies and comics where Batman teams up with super-heroes, I put in a different category. I just assume they are in another reality.
    What was too unrealistic about Nolans batman villians? Outside of Scarecrow they were all Gangsters or Terrorists. Maybe anarchist fits Joker better then terrorist, but thats not important.
    When your starting point is a man wearing an elaborate Bat costume with pointy ears and all... Your bar for unrealistic is instantly raised. Anything short of Superhumans is in the ssme realm of realism. Clayface, Killer Croc, ManBat, and Grundy all surpass that bar. But characters like Bane, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter , and The Court of Owls aren't any crazier then Batman himself. Batman being by far the most absurd thing in the world doesn't have much legs imo. Theres needs to be a balance.

BANNED

Just saw Tenet last night. And after watching Robert Pattison I am convinced that he will be a great Batman/Bruce Wayne. He knows how to blend the masculine and elegance very well. I can see why he and Hoult were short listed for the role.

Court of Owls is a possibility. Hadn't noticed the owl on the card. Hope not, though, because talk about not being grounded. I don't want any semi-immortal, survive almost anything slasher ninjas running around in this series. The court itself is fine, but their assassins are ridiculous and so is the idea of Dionesium. Snyder's stuff was a bit over the top with non-grounded shenanigans.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Court of Owls is a possibility. Hadn't noticed the owl on the card. Hope not, though, because talk about not being grounded. I don't want any semi-immortal, survive almost anything slasher ninjas running around in this series. The court itself is fine, but their assassins are ridiculous and so is the idea of Dionesium. Snyder's stuff was a bit over the top with non-grounded shenanigans.
    Eh, I don't think that Batman should be too grounded. I missed Ra's having his Lazarus Pits last go around, or Bane having Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The most out there thing is the Talon stuff but they could probably tone that down to Nolan-levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I don't think that Batman should be too grounded. I missed Ra's having his Lazarus Pits last go around, or Bane having Venom.
    yep I'm all for this. Don't use Grundy or Clayface. But Comic science is fine by me. Venom,Lazarus pit, Mad Hatters hypnosis, Mr Freeze etc.. its all in the execution. Nolan coulda used Venom for his Bane and It wouldn't have been any less grounded then it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Everyone thought it was Pattison's Bruce Wayne under the mask, until Batman took off his mask and William DeFoe was revealed!

This is the Joker. William Dafoe would make a good Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    People been saying that for years but WBs be like " Naw , too obvious. Let's cast Hearh Ledger and Jared Leto ". Ledger was amazing but ita because he captured the essence of the character while making it his own. Defoe can be Comic accurate Joker, just get Hamil to work on the voice with him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    yep I'm all for this. Don't use Grundy or Clayface. But Comic science is fine by me. Venom,Lazarus pit, Mad Hatters hypnosis, Mr Freeze etc.. its all in the execution. Nolan coulda used Venom for his Bane and It wouldn't have been any less grounded then it was.
    Schumacher's films pu the fear of god into WB about making films about Batman with outlandish villains and the Bat family. And they did it to themselves, originally Schumacher wanted to do a darker, more serious take on Batman and he had the chops to do it justice, but they didn't want to do that after Batman Returns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Dafoe would make a good many things. He's a great actor and I am happy that Spider-Man 1 helped his career and made him a popular character actor and in independent films, a name actor they can use to get a movie off the ground.

I think a young Dafoe would have made a good Joker but now he's too old. To be honest, I'd rather have him cast as Vandal Savage and take on the Justice League himself. Think of that great line that Savage said in the comics, "Send me your heroes, old, young, and bold. I'll kill them all." and imagine that in Dafoe's voice.

I definitely think The Dark Knight latched on to the right idea of Batman and Joker being the same age and that the Joker should be played by an actor who you can also imagine being Bruce Wayne. Ledger's performance rules.

So when they bring Joker back, it should be played by an actor at about the same age as Robert Pattinson.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So when they bring Joker back, it should be played by an actor at about the same age as Robert Pattinson.
    James McAvoy would be 7 years older than Battinson and I'd still nominate him. Bale's Batman has 5 years on Ledger's Joker
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-28-2020 at 05:53 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    James McAvoy would be 7 years older than Battinson and I'd still nominate him. Bale's Batman has 5 years on Ledger's Joker
    That's why I said "about the same age". Although McAvoy would not be my choice.

The Joker's become a pretty plum part (two time Oscar winner) so whoever they cast in that is gonna have to step into a prestigious role and also convince everyone that they can fill the boots of Nicholson-Ledger-Phoenix-(and Hamill).

Recasting the Joker has become a bit like finding the next James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's why I said "about the same age". Although McAvoy would not be my choice.

The Joker's become a pretty plum part (two time Oscar winner) so whoever they cast in that is gonna have to step into a prestigious role and also convince everyone that they can fill the boots of Nicholson-Ledger-Phoenix-(and Hamill).

Recasting the Joker has become a bit like finding the next James Bond.
    Why not just cast whoever is current James Bond is as Joker from now on?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Then we get a black dude or a woman. I'd be down for that. Just no Harley Quinn, please.

BANNED

Because Bond and Joker are different roles?

An analogy is just that, an analogy. Not meant to make direct connections.