View Poll Results: Buying: New vs. Old

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • New comics

4 21.05%
  • Old comics (backissues)

15 78.95%

Default Collecting: New vs. Old

So I have found myself, over the last decade or so, falling out of current comics. I have stumbled across some offbeat books like Vampire state building that were fun, or Wolfmoon. As far as the books I loved years ago, not so much. So I seek older single issues or TPB, to add to my collection. Very rare to pick up anything current at the moment. I was just wondering how many others out there may feel this way. I'm not saying by any means that there are no good current books. Just saying that it seems very hit or miss, so I have retreated to eras I believe are more solid as a whole. How about you?

I personally mix and match, I usually read something old, then something new, then old and so forth

As I have moved further from floppies and more into hardcover, I have naturally transitioned to older runs I didn't read when they came out.

I had a pull of 10+ monthly. 0 now.

A combination of liking to hold a physical copy in my hands but the monthly floppies carrying less story. I like the hard covers for longevity but that means I'm rarely up to date with anything.

I like having collected editions of my single issues pre-2000.
    Most of the material published after 2000 just doesn't interest me.
    I buy very few single issues these days and I see no need to buy the trades.

Its always been hit and miss.

You can just look back on the past more fondly because its only the good stuff that stands the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Its always been hit and miss.

You can just look back on the past more fondly because its only the good stuff that stands the test of time.
    I have the same feeling

Astonishing Member

I collect both new comics and old comics.
    As for new comics there is always at least one comic book that i am reading,all though i have been collecting more that one new comic book in single issues from some time and i collect older comics in TPB ocasionally to add to my collection of comic books.

Depends on what you view as "new" comics... I don't buy any ongoing floppies, and most of what I buy is at least 1 year old - but I would personally consider comics 1-5 years old being "new". Most of my collection is currently concentrated on stuff from my childhood (late 80's-mid 90's), which I consider being "old".

There are pros to both old and new, in my opinion:

Old:
    - Nostalgic factor
    - I get a chance to read complete runs of the stories I read as a child (in my country, editors cherry picked the stories they liked the best for publication - often leaving out big holes)
    - Fun and vibrant colours (sometimes, I find the colour palettes in modern comics a bit too dark and gritty)
    - Lots of Chris Claremont
    - I liked comics better before they went nuts on deaths and subsequent predictable resurrections
    - Big cross-overs didn't happen 1-2 times per year and didn't go overboard in scope everytime (most events nowadays seems to be alien invasions)

New:
    - Computer colours are fantastic, huge game changer
    - Every issue isn't used to explain characters and powers to new readers
    - Less cheesy dialogue
    - Mature storylines are more mainstream
    - Filling out the entire page with drawings looks great aesthetically
    - Fresh storylines

Overall, what I read - old or new - depends on my mood on the day.