Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Because they're trying to market her as an antihero when she's more compelling as a villain. A character doesn't have to be herioc or get a redemption arc to be popular DC.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I prefer Harley as the crazy supervillain. She doesn't have to be with the Joker to be relevant.
    I just don't buy her as an anti-hero like Catwoman.

I don't like Harley has far more respect than Catwoman who has existed for 80 years.
    Catwoman should have her own cartoon series before Harley did.
    That last line is very telling.

Cartoon series are earned not given out based on age. Catwoman has been around longer but Harley is more popular.

Popilarity = cartoon series and Movies
    Catwoman has had a movie but right now Harley is likely DC's most popular female so DC is catering to the demand.

Harley's animated series has just been renewed for a 3rd series By the way

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah you can't guess which character the audience will respond to
    I didn't expect Harley to sell so many products that Jim Lee the publisher said she's the fourth pillar of DC
    DC didn't expect Red Hood to be so popular since Winnick initially was to write him as a villain
    Morrison didn't expect Damian to be popular since he wrote him to be such a brat that he postponed his death
    Way back in the beginning DC didn't expect Joker's first appearance to be so popular they immediately resurrect him for a second story
    Batman Who Laughs every appearance topping the charts of comic sales and people in this forum can't understand why because he's so edgy ^^
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-19-2020 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yeah you can't guess which character the audience will respond to
    I didn't expect Harley to sell so many products that Jim Lee the publisher said she's the fourth pillar of DC
    DC didn't expect Red Hood to be so popular since Winnick initially was to write him as a villain
    Morrison didn't expect Damian to be popular since he wrote him to be such a brat that he postponed his death

Way back in the beginning DC didn't expect Joker's first appearance to be so popular they immediately resurrect him for a second story
    Batman Who Laughs every appearance topping the charts of comic sales and people in this forum can't understand why because he's so edgy ^^
    Pattern of redemption right there, lots of people love redemption stories.
    Reminds me of how in the TV series Once Upon A Time, people really loved the Evil Queen, and she became as much of the hero of the story as the lead (after the first season was done of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Pattern of redemption right there, lots of people love redemption stories.
    Reminds me of how in the TV series Once Upon A Time, people really loved the Evil Queen, and she became as much of the hero of the story as the lead (after the first season was done of course).
    with Jason specifically, I think because people just agree with his philosophy, because he got popular immediately. Why don't you just kill the Joker? There's a lot of fans with the same opinion. The tragic sympathetic backstory helps.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    That last line is very telling.

Cartoon series are earned not given out based on age. Catwoman has been around longer but Harley is more popular.

Popilarity = cartoon series and Movies
    Catwoman has had a movie but right now Harley is likely DC's most popular female so DC is catering to the demand.

Harley's animated series has just been renewed for a 3rd series By the way
    ummmmm
    that Catwoman movie wasn't even about Selina Kyle and had no connection to Batman
    because of that, I didn't even bother to go see the movie
    I knew that it was going to bomb
    I still won't waste my time to watch the movie
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

ummmmm
    that Catwoman movie wasn't even about Selina Kyle and had no connection to Batman
    because of that, I didn't even bother to go see the movie
    I knew that it was going to bomb
    I still won't waste my time to watch the movie
    That is besides the point. The point is that Selina at a point when WB felt she was worth the risk got a movie. Today Harley is seen as more bankable. It has nothing to do with tenure.

No character deserves a movie more than the other. It's more who is worth risking valuable resources on.

BANNED

I don't like Harley has far more respect than Catwoman who has existed for 80 years.
    Catwoman should have her own cartoon series before Harley did.
    Catwoman is basically Batman's supporting character. If you are gonna do a cartoon series about Catwoman, why not spend the same amount of money to make a cartoon series about Batman? Also Harley sells more than Catwoman so it makes more sense to push Harley.

Mighty Member

That is besides the point. The point is that Selina at a point when WB felt she was worth the risk got a movie. Today Harley is seen as more bankable. It has nothing to do with tenure.

No character deserves a movie more than the other. It's more who is worth risking valuable resources on.
    Selina Kyle didn't get her own movie
    Catwoman movie was about Patience Philips
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Catwoman is basically Batman's supporting character. If you are gonna do a cartoon series about Catwoman, why not spend the same amount of money to make a cartoon series about Batman? Also Harley sells more than Catwoman so it makes more sense to push Harley.
    Selina Kyle/Catwoman had her own comics with Batman barely even in them.
    Her volume 3 comics included Slam Bradley and Holly as supporting characters

They can make a Selina Kyle/Catwoman cartoon series and not rely on Batman

I would rather watch a Batman cartoon series though

Selina Kyle didn't get her own movie
    Catwoman movie was about Patience Philips
    Harley Quinn has a TV series because right now Harley Quinn is far more popular than Selina Kyle. If Selina Kyle was as popular as Harley Quinn then perhaps she'd have her own cartoon series.

i feel that the vocal few fans who populate these forums dislike harley due to how they percieve her.

Lines like Catwoman deserves ...... more are telling. They still view Harley as a sidekick who is getting unfairly pushed rather than acknowledging that she was a side character who did the near impossible. Rose to be a 4th pillar.

The point is that Selina at a point when WB felt she was worth the risk got a movie. Today Harley is seen as more bankable. It has nothing to do with tenure.
    But Selina Kyle didn't get a movie. An OC using the Catwoman mantle did, and this wasn't even in the Batman universe. No way Patience Phillips is more popular than Selina Kyle.

Harley Quinn has a TV series because right now Harley Quinn is far more popular than Selina Kyle. If Selina Kyle was as popular as Harley Quinn then perhaps she'd have her own cartoon series.

i feel that the vocal few fans who populate these forums dislike harley due to how they percieve her.

Lines like Catwoman deserves ...... more are telling. They still view Harley as a sidekick who is getting unfairly pushed rather than acknowledging that she was a side character who did the near impossible. Rose to be a 4th pillar.
    I think Selina was primed to have her own movie at various points in time after appearing in Batman movies. I think she's just as popular as Harley in terms of name recognition. She has existed for awhile before Harley was even created but she is kinda stuck in a way that Harley was stuck as for awhile as a Joker sidekick/love interest. She is mostly viewed as a Batman love interest instead of her own character with her own goals. The minute DC commits to breaking them up and focusing on Selina as a independent female not connected to Bruce you could see the same boost for Selina

Its just that Harley is more appealing to casual fans who aren't solely interested in comics which is coincidentally why you see a lot of people on the internet confused why she's popular or wondering why DC is pushing her etc
    When the only metric you use to gauge popularity is comic sales or the amount of top tier comic book stories a character has you kinda bury the lead and this is mostly done to female characters

Incredible Member

The DCU HBOMax show's second season is REALLY funny and great... Episode 7 (with Bane and the pit and Gordon and Batgirl) might be the highlight but this whole season kicked ass. First season was a bit hit-or-miss, if you haven't watched any yet, I would recommend just starting with Season 2 tbh

You also have to remember that Catwoman movie and Harley series is separated by decades with difference of understanding.

Remember when Catwoman movie came out, Hollywood believe that female superhero won't sell, so they're okay with subpar writing, awful costume design, and character that has nothing to do with the comic version. Elektra's a bit better but they have the same attitude. They didn't wanna invest in them. Not as much as their male counterparts.

However that's separate from the IP owner believing that Catwoman would sell. DC most likely wanted to promote Catwoman, but Hollywood didn't believe in it.