Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default A few titles I’d like to see as limited series

I’d like to see a limited series for the following characters / concepts.

JONAH HEX - a different take. Involve DC characters that would be around in that time period. Maybe Baron Winter, Ras Al Ghul, Phantom Stranger, a Swamp Thing, etc. It could be a darker take than his last series ( which I really enjoyed ).

Travis Morgan, WARLORD - maybe with Grell writing again. Totally ignoring the bad revival from years ago.

NIGHT FORCE. Loved this concept. Written by Marv Wolfman or Gai Simone or co-written by both!

I agree on all three.

I think DC neglects a lot of their non-superhero creations.

Warlord, Jonah Hex, Blackhawk and Sgt. Rock especially.
    Each one of these have had runs longer than most superheroes.

Warlord: Conan and Red Sonja have been consistently in print. Warlord just needs a writer that knows fantasy and a good artist that makes the characters look good.
    I know a lot of people dislike him, but Cullen Bunn would be my choice as writer because he seems to really get fantasy.

Jonah Hex: Hex was actually doing pretty good up until New52 happened. A missed opportunity to bring back the post-apocalyptic version during Mad Max's popularity, too, btw.

Blackhawk: The New52 version was a decent modernization, but it was too far removed from the source material. GI Joe still sells some, and the New52 Blackhawks seemed to have tapped into that and a bit of SHIELD. It could work as a good adventure title, but it needs to include some of the original's history in some way, I think.

Sgt. Rock: Call of Duty. Really. It's that simple. DC just needs to target the right audience.

I would love a Night Force comic that was more like the original and had a Haunting of Hill House feel that focused more on terror than horror.
    Kind of like a supernatural Suicide Squad with mediums, mystics, parapsychologists and mentally unhinged investigators instead of supervillains.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Amethyst and Arion again.
    Or even a new character based on the Sword of Atlantis Aquaman run.

And Donovan Flint (Star Hunters) would be a perfect character to try something adventurous in space with. Get Fraction to write it, with a good artist...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The Layoffs and restructuring killed all those types of books, no?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The Layoffs and restructuring killed all those types of books, no?
    The shrinking focus of the direct market killed all those types of books long before this latest downsizing. The range of comics that all of the comics companies used to do was dizzying. As the audience shrank, it seems only the superhero fans that stuck around (except those that migrated to places like indies).

Returning to the OP: Night Force would get my vote. But, while I like Jonah Hex, I'd rather see DC dust off one of its other western properties, like Bat Lash, or a modernized update on Scalphunter.

Boisterously Confused

I'd love to see some of the less-superheroy-more-science-fictiony features of the Between-Gold-And-Silver era. Challengers of the Unknown, Rip Hunter, The Sea Devils.

I would love to see smaller characters they could build new and interesting worlds around.

I would love to see otherworldly earth-based cultures like Dawnstar & Starhaven, and Tyroc & Marzol. marginalized people removed from the margins of white supremacist power structures into something more fantastical is always a niche worth a try in my book.

in the same vain, rebooting Bloodwynd would be awesome for similar reasons. there is something to be said for a superhero who is born of black pain literally taking it and making something magical from it.

I would love them to revisit Kenan Kong again but with a limited series big blockbuster story.

I would love to see a revamp or a reboot of Aztek, maybe even link that franchise with the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. magic and gods go hand and hand, then we throw aliens in the mix? we could see some really fun lovecraft **** out of that.

i wouldn't be me if I didn't say I would love a deep dive into the Immortals with Duke Thomas. learn more bout the back door war and dealings of the Immortals, learn more about his father, his family and where he comes from.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-24-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Could never understand why we didnt get a sgt rock comic. Tom king's been in iraq and garth ennis's speciality is war comics - two DC names right there with all the skills to do it. Black Hawk Down was best selling and amazing book and a film while Joe Sacco won a load of awards for his war comics - they could have had all that too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'd love to see some of the less-superheroy-more-science-fictiony features of the Between-Gold-And-Silver era. Challengers of the Unknown, Rip Hunter, The Sea Devils.
    Cave carson was cool recent book if you havent checked it. Was always top of my pile every month.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Cave carson was cool recent book if you havent checked it. Was always top of my pile every month.
    I haven't. I shall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I agree on all three.

I think DC neglects a lot of their non-superhero creations.

Warlord, Jonah Hex, Blackhawk and Sgt. Rock especially.
    Each one of these have had runs longer than most superheroes.

Warlord: Conan and Red Sonja have been consistently in print. Warlord just needs a writer that knows fantasy and a good artist that makes the characters look good.
    I know a lot of people dislike him, but Cullen Bunn would be my choice as writer because he seems to really get fantasy.

Jonah Hex: Hex was actually doing pretty good up until New52 happened. A missed opportunity to bring back the post-apocalyptic version during Mad Max's popularity, too, btw.

Blackhawk: The New52 version was a decent modernization, but it was too far removed from the source material. GI Joe still sells some, and the New52 Blackhawks seemed to have tapped into that and a bit of SHIELD. It could work as a good adventure title, but it needs to include some of the original's history in some way, I think.

Sgt. Rock: Call of Duty. Really. It's that simple. DC just needs to target the right audience.

I would love a Night Force comic that was more like the original and had a Haunting of Hill House feel that focused more on terror than horror.
    Kind of like a supernatural Suicide Squad with mediums, mystics, parapsychologists and mentally unhinged investigators instead of supervillains.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Amethyst and Arion again.
    Or even a new character based on the Sword of Atlantis Aquaman run.

And Donovan Flint (Star Hunters) would be a perfect character to try something adventurous in space with. Get Fraction to write it, with a good artist...
    There was an Amethyst title as part of the Wonder Comics imprint.

With the way the market is developing, I don't think any of these would do well as minis in the direct market, however, marketed properly many would do well as OGNs in the book trade market.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I’d like to see a limited series for the following characters / concepts.

JONAH HEX - a different take. Involve DC characters that would be around in that time period. Maybe Baron Winter, Ras Al Ghul, Phantom Stranger, a Swamp Thing, etc. It could be a darker take than his last series ( which I really enjoyed ).

Travis Morgan, WARLORD - maybe with Grell writing again. Totally ignoring the bad revival from years ago.

NIGHT FORCE. Loved this concept. Written by Marv Wolfman or Gai Simone or co-written by both!
    Jonah Hex and R’as have crossed paths in cartoon form, but I’d love to see it done in comics.

I want to say there was a Warlord book that yes, wisely ignored the bad revival. Pretty sure Grell was involved.

Night Force is a cool concept and I’d love to see it revisited. I know The Baron featured in a Raven mini series a couple of years ago(?), but it’s not the same!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There was an Amethyst title as part of the Wonder Comics imprint.

With the way the market is developing, I don't think any of these would do well as minis in the direct market, however, marketed properly many would do well as OGNs in the book trade market.

-M
    Yeah, kinda like if tv networks were to only broadcast to bars and not private homes, we'd see like 75% of the genres disappear.
    Over time they'd eventually cater to the available audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Jonah Hex and R’as have crossed paths in cartoon form, but I’d love to see it done in comics.

I want to say there was a Warlord book that yes, wisely ignored the bad revival. Pretty sure Grell was involved.

Night Force is a cool concept and I’d love to see it revisited. I know The Baron featured in a Raven mini series a couple of years ago(?), but it’s not the same!
    Which Warlord revival is considered the bad one?

The '92 mini with Grell attached?

The 2006 revival with Bart Sears attached?

or the 2009 series with Grell which passed the mantle of Warlord on form Travis to his son Joshua?

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

The Bart Sears one was surprisingly very... um.. not so good.
    I loved Sears on Hero Alliance, JLE, Invasion and The First...
    But the art in Warlord was just too muddy for me.
    And considering part of the charm of Warlord, Conan and Sonja is the physiques of the characters, you don't want them to look unflattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The Bart Sears one was surprisingly very... um.. not so good.
    I loved Sears on Hero Alliance, JLE, Invasion and The First...
    But the art in Warlord was just too muddy for me.
    And considering part of the charm of Warlord, Conan and Sonja is the physiques of the characters, you don't want them to look unflattering.
    Yeah I thought the 2006 series was abyssmal all around, which was disappointing as I have liked other stuff by Bruce Jones and Bart Sears, but that series had nothing redeeming about it and is rightly ignored. The two Grell continuations however, have aspects I liked a lot. probably more than the post-Grell stuff on the original Warlord series.

-M