Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestions for a reader looking to get further into DC

Hey all,

I've been a comic reader for agesssss, but I've never really found something to get me into DC as easy as I got into Marvel. I grew up watching all the 90s Marvel cartoons and my brother was a big fan, so I gravitated towards Marvel into my teens. Having said that, when I was about 14 I found myself drawn to Blackest Night, which got me into Green Lantern a hell of a lot, so I read the Geoff Johns stuff and i loved it. The New 52 was appealing for a new DC reader like myself, so I attempted to get into things then, however i only stuck with Batman. Then, when Rebirth came around I tried that too, but was wholly disappointed. The only DC comic I get regularly now is Morrison's Green Lantern. I want to desperately get into DC a bit more to up my knowledge (and because it has aspects I'm very interested in).

Basically, what i'm asking for is recommendations on runs/characters, whether they're classic, hidden gems, unmissable, or modern. Any character(s) will suffice. I've read a lot of Batman, a large amount of modern Hal Jordan/GL, and a decent amount of Superman, so other characters are pretty much complete blank slates for me. I work in a comic shop (Although I haven't read a lot of DC comics, my knowledge on characters/mythos is still quite high) so availability shouldn't be a problem for anything that's currently in print or milestones for certain characters.

Please, gimme all your juicy takes! Thanks!

Well honestly it really depends on what characters you want to read and the types of stories, but a big hurdle is continuity/history as its been changed and a handful of time though that by no means you can't enjoy runs just that certain history won't line up exactly.

Now you've mentioned Batman, so have you tried getting into other members of the batfamily? There is Nightwing, Red Hood, Batgirl, Tim Drake , Damian Wayne, Batwoman, Spoiler, Orphan, Signal, Batwing, and etc. Maybe you can find enjoyment in series starring some of them and see how you like them compared to the main batman. As a Nightwing fan I recommend maybe picking up the deluxe rerelease of Nightwing year one where you can read Dick Grayson go from Robin to Nightwing.

I honestly recommend Rebirth Superman, but mainly for the parts of Superman raising his son Jon. From there it leads into a fun series called Super Sons starring Jon Kent and Damian Wayne

Now as for characters you haven't read, a really good current run I've been reading as of late has been Justice League Dark by Jame Tynion and now Ram V. If I wanted to sum it up without giving too much away its that Wonder Woman has formed a new team of magic users during a crisis when magic is falling apart and the dark source of magic has come to reclaim whats theirs. It can be a bit horror based at times but its definitely got some great moments in it. Another is Robert Vendetti's Hawkman which really takes an interesting deep dive into that characters history and past lives and I think does a great job of consolidating a confusing character.

As for some older stuff I happen to be a fan of the JSA so I'd say try to read some of the david goyer and Geoff Johns work.

Finally, I recommend DCeased along with Unkillables, Hope at worlds end, and Dead Planet. It's by Tom Taylor, basically its an elseworld series where a zombie-like virus (biting and killing, no eating people) broke out over the DC universe and our heroes survive and respond to it. However its not some edgy thing trying to kill all the heroes, though heroes do die, but there are also good moments of heroism and moments you won't get to see in the main line universe such as Damian Wayne getting to become Batman.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

OK, i grew up watching 90's Marvel cartoons as well, along with Batman and Superman animated series. But only got into comics after finishing the entire Justice League cartoon wich left me wanting to learn more about the characters, the stories and DC history in a whole.
    10 years later it's been a sucessful and rewarding journey so i feel the obligation to share wich book are the most beginners friendly and tactics for the best reading experience

You can't go wrong with the classics, so at first it's best to ignore reading order and focus on great stories

BATMAN
    Year One
    Killing joke
    The Mad Monk (Matt Wagner)
    The Monster Men (Matt Wagner)
    Hush

SUPERMAN
    Man of Steel (John Byrne)
    Secret Origin (Geoff Johns)

Green Lantern
    Sinestro Corps War
    Secret Origin (Johns)

Those are what pretty much made me addicted to comics, from there i knew i would never stop. From there eventually you'll find yourself interested in other characters and groups, specially the ones you see in other media like cartoons, live action, videogames.

To have an overall view of the timeline of events i suggest the History of the DC Universe by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, it's very basic but helpful. If youcan take a peek at the DC Comics Year by Year by DK, it helps as well.

At first i suggest collecting trades, later if you feel the need to own the "real thing" you'll want the back issues. Today with the help of the comixology DC app you can buy current and most of back issues in digital format.
    Last edited by the COMET; 08-23-2020 at 05:12 PM.

If you like GL, both Green Lantern: Earth One books are cool alternate GL stories. The Batman and Superman ones are also worth checking out.

For Wonder Woman well there's the Marston, Perez, Jimenez, both of Rucka, and Simone runs but for standalone stories:
    JLA: A League of One
    The Hiketeia
    Legend of Wonder Woman (2016)

And for a current book there's Justice League Dark, only WW on a team/ensemble thing worth checking out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Hey all,

I've been a comic reader for agesssss, but I've never really found something to get me into DC as easy as I got into Marvel. I grew up watching all the 90s Marvel cartoons and my brother was a big fan, so I gravitated towards Marvel into my teens. Having said that, when I was about 14 I found myself drawn to Blackest Night, which got me into Green Lantern a hell of a lot, so I read the Geoff Johns stuff and i loved it. The New 52 was appealing for a new DC reader like myself, so I attempted to get into things then, however i only stuck with Batman. Then, when Rebirth came around I tried that too, but was wholly disappointed. The only DC comic I get regularly now is Morrison's Green Lantern. I want to desperately get into DC a bit more to up my knowledge (and because it has aspects I'm very interested in).

Basically, what i'm asking for is recommendations on runs/characters, whether they're classic, hidden gems, unmissable, or modern. Any character(s) will suffice. I've read a lot of Batman, a large amount of modern Hal Jordan/GL, and a decent amount of Superman, so other characters are pretty much complete blank slates for me. I work in a comic shop (Although I haven't read a lot of DC comics, my knowledge on characters/mythos is still quite high) so availability shouldn't be a problem for anything that's currently in print or milestones for certain characters.

James Robinson's Starman series. One of the best books to ever come down the ol' comic book pike.

Intermediary

For characters and teams you don't know there's the old team up books: "DC comics Presents" wich is Superman + guest, and "The Brave and the Bold"- after a few issues it's Batman + guest.
    Hunt down any Origin story you can, in the 80's there was a legendary "Secret Origins" series
    Now some of my personal favorites:

Supergirl
    Superman / Batman - Supergirl
    Supergirl - Power

ADAM STRANGE
    Archives
    Planet Heist
    Rann-Thanagar War

LEGION OF SUPERHEROES
    2005-2011 Mainly by Mark Waid. It's called the Threeboot, some ppl may prefer some other incarnation.
    For a good origin story on the team i like the 1994 #0.

TEEN TITANS
    1980 series
    Geoff Johns

ETRIGAN
    The Demon , 1990 Series *hidden gem* try to survive DC Hell with Jason Blood as your guide.
    Demon Knights (medievil dungeons and dragons-like)

SUPERMAN
    Exile - Superman lost in space, gets captured by Mongul and fight as a gladiator in Warworld. *animated movie worthy
    Action Comics 586 - Darkseid brainwashes Superman
    Godfall - Action Comics 812, Adventures 625, Superman 202 * movie worthy
    Adventures of Superman annual 3 1991 - what-if space story **hidden gem**animated movie worthy

BOOSTER GOLD
    1986 #6 - origin
    52 series *animated movie worthy
    52 pick-up ( Geoff Johns)

Most readers should suggest the events like Crisis on Infinite Earths, infinite crisis, blackest night and so on, but after reading many of them, i realized they are attention seeking stories, extravagant events where characters die and others get reborn, they are not exactly fun reads or among the very best, but have somewhat importance as they are used to change concepts, reboot series. You can appreciate them more after having some knowledge, not good entry points.

In my personal experience i find stories from late 80's- early 90's and mid 2000s-2011 as the ones that work for me, can be different from person to person
    Last edited by the COMET; 08-23-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I need to know what makes you disappointed first

Advanced
    - WARNING -
    Continue at your own risk (may cause brain damage)

So you're probably a DC comics fan for a few years now, read an entire Justice League and Batman run and think you know your stuff, right? Well guess again, you've barely scratched the surface!!

The DC Comics Encyclopedia by DK
    know your characters

DC Adventures Universe Published by Mutants and Masterminds
    a RPG book with advanced knowledge on DC timeline, beginning of the universe, alien races, planets, factions, life on Earth.
    DC Adventures Heroes and Villains vols. 1 and 2 - characters stats, bio. How fast the Flash can run? how much stronger is Superman compared to others?

The Atlas of the DC Universe - Published by Mayfair, 1990. Written by Paul Kupperberg
    advanced knoledge on ... everything. Where are Gotham and Metropolis located on the map? More aliens, planets, alternate planes of existance, pocket universes. It's all here.

Genesis - by John Byrne, 2007. Old Gods, New Gods, Godwave, how pantheon of gods came to be in the universe, and later metahumans.

Green Lantern The Ganthet's Tale - 1992. Early history of the Guardians of the Universe. The Krona mistake.

Arion the Lord of Atlantis - in Warlord 55-62 second feature followed by his own series in 1982.
    Advanced magic civilization living among caveman in 45.000 BC

The Atlantis Chronicles by Peter David
    How Atlantis sank, how atlanteans came to be able to breathe underwater **hidden gem** live action mini series worthy

New Gods Secret files & origins
    Universe timeline (2 pages)

The New Teen Titans #11-12. 1980
    Before the Olympian (Greek) Gods, there were their creators, the Titans of Myth! **hidden gem** Wonder Woman movie worthy with some changes like WW replacing Donna as main character and JL replacing TT.

Omega Men # 7. 1983 **hidden gem**
    Alien civilization on the Vega System and Origin of X'hal, the living goddess of Starfire's people. (mature content)

Omega men 1983 series;
    L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 series
    R.E.B.E.L.S. 2009 series

For classic space stories

Jokes aside these are the instruments i've used to grow my DC knowledge, it's been an awsome ride and there are still so much more, like Silent Knight, Shinning Knight for medieval stories. All those war times stories that i'll probably never read. And modern classics people are writing today. I hope some of these suggestions can give joy and entertain people as much as they have entertained me. Have fun.
    Last edited by the COMET; 08-23-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Do those encyclos do anything? Don't DC writers change things on a whim?

I will give my top 3 DC runs:

James Robinson’s Starman. My absolute favorite story/run in all of comics!

The early 2000s JSA which is a very close second to Starman.

You can’t go wrong with Mark Waids Flash run either.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

New 52 Wonder Woman (Wonder Woman Vol. 4 #1-12, #0, #13-23, #23.3-35, Secret Origins Vol. 3 #6)
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Hey man

I'm kinda sick of the big 6 LOL, specially Batman, so i would recommend stuff from C and D listers that i totally love. Nothing makes me happier than a Hidden Gem.

I suggest:

Geoff Johns' JSA (I can't recommend this one enough. It's masterful)
    Jeff Lemire's Animal Man (best art ever)
    Dan Didio's Phantom Stranger
    Marc Adreyko's Manhunter
    James Robinson's Earth-2
    Peter Milligan and Lemire's Justice League Dark
    Robert Venditti's Freedom Fighters
    Judd Winick's Outsiders

Also, the wildstorm Universe has some REALLy cool stuff, specially Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and The Authority, which is the finest anti-hero team ever.

And if i had to recommend a run from every one of the Big 6.

Superman: Geoff Johns' Action Comics.
    Batman: Grant Morrison's run or Peter J Tomasi's Batman and Robin.
    WW: Brian Azzarello's. Hardcore WW fans hate it, and that must be why I like it. Usually I fins her book so damn boring, but Azz gave it a spin which worked wonders.
    GL: Marz/Winnick run while Kyle Rayner was DA MAN. The spin offs are super good two: Red Lanterns (by Peter Milligan), Sinestro (by Cullen Bunn), GL Corps (by Tomasi and Gleason)
    The Flash: Geoff Johns' run. Best. run. ever.
    Aquaman: Geoff Johns' run. An also the Sub diego run they did before Infinite Crisis. That was really good.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by poroto678; 08-23-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Boisterously Confused

Take a look at a Justice League mini-series called The Nail. It's an Elseworld (sort of DC's version of Marvel's What If...? series, but all in single issue or miniseries formats). It pretty much nails the heart of the JL - or at least, a late-Bronze Age interpretation of them - and showcases several other characters besides. Ross' miniseries Justice is also good for this. Just keep in mind that those are out-of-continuity tales, so don't look for the consequences and character developments to show up elsewhere.

Another I'd suggest is Goodwin and Simonson's Manhunter series that ran as a backup in Detective Comics. It's been collected.

It's not my cup of tea take on the character, but as a story, the most recent Hawkman series is pretty good.

Two Superman tales I enjoy are "Time And Time Again" and "Panic In The Sky." They're both self-contained, both collected, and fun reads. Candidly, I'm a bit surprised editorial let the Superman titles have access to that many characters for PitS without trying to make it a company-wide event.

I suggest older or self-contained stuff for a beginner because it's less likely to be entangled with The Event Of The Month, and there's usually room to figure out who these characters are.

Amazing Member

A lot of good stuff previously mentioned so I'll try not to repeat.

Legion of Superheroes. The original Levitz is good stuff as is Abnett and Lanning's Legion Lost story
    Denny O'Neil's The Question is one of my all time favorite comic runs

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Hey all,

I'll try to tailor the answer to what you're looking for.

In terms of classics:

Kingdom Come
    Justice by Alex Ross
    JL: New Frontier
    JLA: Year One
    TT: Judas Contract (& generally Wolfman & Perez on TT)
    COIE & Infinite Crisis

In terms of hidden gems:

52 (2006)
    Jack Kirby's New Gods
    Mr. Miracle by Tom King
    Deathstroke by Christopher Preist
    Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
    Hawkworld by Tim Truman

In terms of other big characters besides Batman, Superman, and GL:

Aquaman by Peter David
    Aquaman by Geoff Johns
    Flash by Mark Waid