Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default About the ‘new’ MILESTONE

I’m looking forward to these characters returning again.

ICON and HARDWARE were my favorites. Never really saw the ‘specialness’ of Static.

But I’m wondering if we can get DC to publish trades of the original runs?

If the digital issues do well, I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    ICON and HARDWARE were my favorites. Never really saw the ‘specialness’ of Static.
    ^^^Pretty much the opposite for me.

As to the line itself, they had a few cool heroes (and villains) here and there, but 90% of their characters seemed dated even at the time, or were completely forgettable.

Astonishing Member

I’m looking forward to these characters returning again.

But I’m wondering if we can get DC to publish trades of the original runs?
    Never cared much for Icon, he always came off as our of touch which was probably the point of his character, being a black conservative.

Static was much more interesting character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Never cared much for Icon, he always came off as our of touch which was probably the point of his character, being a black conservative.

Static was much more interesting character.
    Funny how you would consider "Black conservative" as being "out of touch", when the character came up during a time when freed Black supported the Republican Party, and would continue to support them en masse until the 1960s. LOL.

Fun fact. Icon was one of Clarence Thomas' (Yes, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas) favorite characters and he quoted the character on multiple occasions. Dwayne McDuffie was quite liberal

That ladies and gentlemen is what we call talent
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I don’t care about the character’s (any character’s) political position, I just never found him interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I don’t care about the character’s (any character’s) political position, I just never found him interesting.
    then have you considered these stories aren't for you? the personality, life experiences, and yes even the political views of a lot of the Milestone characters are far more integral to their character than a....*checks notes* Sgt Warlord? If your weren't compelled by Milestone beyond Static, then these stories just weren't made with you in mind; just like Milestone was made because comics weren't making comics with other demographics and sensibilities in mind. tis life, ya know?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Funny how you would consider "Black conservative" as being "out of touch", when the character came up during a time when freed Black supported the Republican Party, and would continue to support them en masse until the 1960s. LOL.
    I stand by what I said, Icon stayed conservative after the parties realigned in the 1960s- early 1970s.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Never really saw the ‘specialness’ of Static.
    A character designed to appeal to younger audiences ended up becoming really popular with younger audiences.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Classic collections would be great, as I only have a few sporadic issues of Milestone books.
    Looking forward to Icon and Rocket the most, liked Hudlin's work on Black Panther.

ICON is not going to go over well in the current climate lol. I feel sorry for the poor writer that ends up on that project.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    ICON is not going to go over well in the current climate lol. I feel sorry for the poor writer that ends up on that project.
    It could actually be extremely interesting to have a Black Conservative actually tackle the current Republican Party, if only because with BLM and Trump it becomes harder for him to just go "Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and he was a Republican".

It can go either way : absolute horror or great story.

I’m confident that the writer who heads Icon will be skilled enough to navigate the modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I honestly think it’ll be fine as long as Rocket is there to balance him and challenge his opinions.