Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default About the ‘new’ MILESTONE

I’m looking forward to these characters returning again.

ICON and HARDWARE were my favorites. Never really saw the ‘specialness’ of Static.

But I’m wondering if we can get DC to publish trades of the original runs?

If the digital issues do well, I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    ICON and HARDWARE were my favorites. Never really saw the ‘specialness’ of Static.
    ^^^Pretty much the opposite for me.

As to the line itself, they had a few cool heroes (and villains) here and there, but 90% of their characters seemed dated even at the time, or were completely forgettable.

Astonishing Member

I’m looking forward to these characters returning again.

But I’m wondering if we can get DC to publish trades of the original runs?
    Never cared much for Icon, he always came off as our of touch which was probably the point of his character, being a black conservative.

Static was much more interesting character.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Never really saw the ‘specialness’ of Static.
    A character designed to appeal to younger audiences ended up becoming really popular with younger audiences.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Classic collections would be great, as I only have a few sporadic issues of Milestone books.
    Looking forward to Icon and Rocket the most, liked Hudlin's work on Black Panther.

ICON is not going to go over well in the current climate lol. I feel sorry for the poor writer that ends up on that project.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    ICON is not going to go over well in the current climate lol. I feel sorry for the poor writer that ends up on that project.
    It could actually be extremely interesting to have a Black Conservative actually tackle the current Republican Party, if only because with BLM and Trump it becomes harder for him to just go "Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and he was a Republican".

It can go either way : absolute horror or great story.

I’m confident that the writer who heads Icon will be skilled enough to navigate the modern world.

I honestly think it’ll be fine as long as Rocket is there to balance him and challenge his opinions.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

It'd be pretty good for him to spell out that he was "Conservative" and not Republican because while he has high moralistic beliefs he's certainly not affiliated with the part.
    Being from the south and wise enough to remember It'd be great if he had absolute disdain for the democratic party as well. Since they're not really friend with the black man either.
    Liberal doesn't equal Democrat and Conservative doesn't equal Republican and since he's a character that really IS somonewhat inherently political he's perfect to speak on thing
    FAILURE of what we have still going on. If he takes the right approach then he should be the one teaching his sidekick not the other way around.

Its basically the Malcom X speech Wolves vs Foxes. He went OFF on them.

The white liberals, who have been posing as our friends, have failed us. The white liberal is the worst enemy to America and the worst enemy to the black man.”

“White liberals are those who have perfected the art of selling themselves to the black man as our ‘friend’ to get our sympathy, our allegiance and our minds. The white liberal attempts to use us politically against white conservatives, so that anything the black man does is never for his own good, never for his advancement, never for his own progress, he’s only a pawn in the hands of the white liberal.”

“I only cite these things to show you that in America the history of white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make us think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems. Our problems will never be solved by the white liberal. The only way that our problems will be solved is when the black man wakes up, cleans himself up, stands on his own two feet, stops begging the white liberal and takes immediate steps to do for ourselves the things that we have been waiting on the white liberal to do for us.”

The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros, and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have. If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked, or deceived by the white liberal then Negros would get together and solve our own problems.

"The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”

“The Democrats are playing you for a political chump and if you vote for them, not only are you a chump, you are a traitor to your race.”

"The white conservatives aren't friends of the Negro either, but they at least don't try to hide it. They are like wolves; they show their teeth in a snarl that keeps the Negro always aware of where he stands with them. But the white liberals are foxes, who also show their teeth to the Negro but pretend that they are smiling. The white liberals are more dangerous than the conservatives; they lure the Negro, and as the Negro runs from the growling wolf, he flees into the open jaws of the "smiling" fox. One is the wolf, the other is a fox. No matter what, they’ll both eat you.”

"The person who spoke these words was Malcolm-X. He was assassinated two days after expressing the last quote. How ironic. Just saying"
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 08-24-2020 at 06:04 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I honestly think it’ll be fine as long as Rocket is there to balance him and challenge his opinions.
    Yeah, it's important to note that neither of them were inflexible with the other. There was good dialog there

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Yeah, it's important to note that neither of them were inflexible with the other. There was good dialog there
    Thats cool as long as the writer doesn't make him one-note or the overall narrative is about him "Awakening" or something like that. He's awesome as is.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member

Icon never went over well to begin with. Most people read his series for Rocket.

Ultimate Member

Just an FYI

Icon was NOT about him-it was about Rocket.

McDuffie said that himself. It was a story of her journey.

The first teen mother super heroine and eventual successor to Icon.

Hardware was about him leaving Marvel to start Milestone.

As to the line itself, they had a few cool heroes (and villains) here and there, but 90% of their characters seemed dated even at the time, or were completely forgettable.
    Gee I could say the same for most of DC and marvel's rosters.

Rocket Raccoon was completely forgettable as was Squirrel Girl.

How did that work out???

Classic collections would be great, as I only have a few sporadic issues of Milestone books.
    If anything those collections would educate some folks.