Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Chuck Dixon shares his thoughts on Superman's woes

Deleted. 10char
    Last edited by kingaliencracker; 08-24-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Deleted. 10char.
    Last edited by kingaliencracker; 08-24-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It comes down to "they don't get him, maybe someone will," which literally everyone says.

And why are we going to known Gator publications?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It comes down to "they don't get him, maybe someone will," which literally everyone says.

And why are we going to known Gator publications?
    I'm not hip enough I don't think to know what a Gator publication is.

However, it popped up on my Facebook feed and figured I'd share it.

I agree to the point that there hasn't been anyone actually passionate about Superman to write him in a long time, at least not for any prolonged period. Though I do disagree that it has to be the "big blue boyscout" or it doesn't work. That's one incarnation that once upon a time was highly successful. But there have been others in his 80+ year history. Its not about there just being one way outside of just a few telltale details.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-24-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I agree to the point that there hasn't been anyone actually passionate about Superman to write him in a long time, at least not for any prolonged period. Though I do disagree that it has to be the "big blue boyscout" or it doesn't work. That's one incarnation that once upon a time was highly successful. But there have been others in his 80+ year history. Its not about there just being one way outside of just a few telltale details.
    Eh, say what you will about Bendis, but he's passionate. Superman is what he wanted after surviving something that should have killed him. He often talks about how important the character is to him both historically and currently. You can hate his take, but I think it's disingenuous to say he's anything but passionate about him.

I actually don't hate his take on Superman as a character. I've actually praised it consistently. What I think destroyed the run is bad ideas surrounding his characterization.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-24-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Superman was excellent under the pen of Jurgens and Tomasi during rebirth, all the work they did revitilising the character was squashed by Bendis. DC should just wipe his run out of continuity and continue from where Jurgens and Tomasi left off, just give the books back to them.

I don't think Rebirth revitalized the character as much as people like to think it did. The relaunch, the new initiative name and the splashy new #1, that was the boost. That's always the boost. That alone isn't revitalization. Does it sustain is the question, and Rebirth didn't any more than the New 52 or any prior relaunch did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I actually don't hate his take on Superman as a character. I've actually praised it consistently. What I think destroyed the run is bad ideas surrounding his characterization.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't saying you hated his take, but I do think saying nobody has a passion for the character anymore is unfair.

I agree with you that some of his decisions seem particularly frustrating (one we agree on is Clark no longer being the Legion's inspiration). I've always valued your opinion on the character because for as much as we disagree on finer points, you always come at it with fair reasoning and openness to discussion, so I'm sorry if I came across a bit hostile. The "you can hate his take" bit was more referencing the idea of "win lose or draw, you can't say he doesn't love the character," which is evident from how much he grew Superman's play in the DCU (making him a key inspiration for all the Wonder Comics books, getting us a Jimmy and Lois book, bringing back the Legion, putting Lois and Clark front and center of an event, etc). Not to mention he was doing all sorts of podcasts hyping up his run (as all writers do) but also signal boosting other people's work on Superman and his corner, from Jimmy/Lois to Yang's Vs. the Klan. If nothing else, he's probably a good choice to edit the Super books at some point. He seems to really love them and wants to see more stuff coming out of there.

A lot of times, the writer on Superman feels like they're doing a job, but Bendis has been the first in a long time to really, really be making a stab at raising Clark and Co's prominence at DC. Love or hate his work and everywhere in between, that one aspect can't be denied.