Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Making Cassandra Sandsmark different to Donna,Diana...

Hello,
    I dont like Cassandras new Origin.

Pre-Flashpoint it was better, because Cassandra was Zeus daughter, Diana was daughter of Hippolyta, Donna the "weapon" who was made in order to defeat Diana.

This made Cassandra different to the other 2 and gave her the chance maybe to develop new powers in future, become more powerful etc.

Also with the lassos it was better solved in Pre-Flashpoint, since Cassandra had the lasso of lightning.

In Rebirth Cassandra has the biggest problem of the Amazons:

Diana is daughter of Zeus,has the golden lasso, is daughter of the queen of Amazons, was trained etc. etc.
    Donna has the silver lasso, was also trained..
    Artemis has the Bow of Ra, the lasso of submission and Mistress

Cassandra has only a normal lasso with seemingly no powers, no weapon and is the youngest of them and has no proper training...
    Cassandra needs to be aged up, get her lasso of lightning back and also a weapon on her own.

I like the Idea that Cassandra gets the God Killer Sword or get her silent armour back.

For the lasso I like both lassos: of lightning and the one who take the life-force away.

The lightning lasso was cool. As was it being connected to anger.

Cassie should be aged up a bit, to 18 or 19 maybe? She definitely needs her or origin back, maybe she's actually Ares's daughter so her lasso's power being connected to her angry has a bit more thematic sense? Maybe we could change her romance options a bit too, like how about pairing her with Blue Beatle instead of Superboy?

Costume wise she should have a combination of her Nu52 silent armor and with an added short skirt and short leather jacket. She could be proficient in a bo staff along with a lasso. I'd keep the life stealing lasso, still tie it to her rage.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I think part of defining Cassie as different from Diana or Donna requires that one has a decent idea on what Diana and Donna should be, or possibly the relations between the three. Otherwise, you risk going around in circles. Also, defining a character by their origin—or their parents—is, I think, a flawed model. A character is defined by their stories and their relations, of which their origin is a part but only a part. And relations are good when they tell something about the characters.

I like to think of Diana as a character that combines being a superhero through training, with being a superhero through abilities (either inherited or gifted), and with being a superhero through gadgets. She is up there in the top tier in both aspects (well, maybe not gadgets, but the lasso is definitely a top-tier piece of equipment).

So I like to view Donna and Cassie from that lens. Donna has the training that Diana and the rest of the Amazons have, but she is a normal human. Cassie doesn't have that training, but she has inhereted (or gifted) superpowers, sometimes combined with gadgets. That means that they each have a very different relation to Diana and to their superpowers that is readily explored and can be used to differentiate the two characters.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This is why making her Zeus’s daughter is dumb. Cassie could just be what she was before the Zeus’s origin. When she was wonder girl she did take the sandals of Hermès. Donna can simple be raised on the island with Diana had a child. That Diana is was still young not as Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Cassie was always distinct from Donna.

I preferred Cassie's pre-Zeus daddy origin as a normal person who used magical artifacts and got granted some powers for having the nerves of steel to ask for them in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think part of defining Cassie as different from Diana or Donna requires that one has a decent idea on what Diana and Donna should be, or possibly the relations between the three. Otherwise, you risk going around in circles. Also, defining a character by their origin—or their parents—is, I think, a flawed model. A character is defined by their stories and their relations, of which their origin is a part but only a part. And relations are good when they tell something about the characters.
    Agreed.

I like Diana as the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta.

Donna can have Diana's old origin: she is a golem brought to life by the Titan goddesses; she's the champion of amazons who worship the Titans and Titanides. She can also have some of Diana's old foes: Professor Toxino, Blue Snoman, Hypnota, Draska Nishki, Queen Atomia, Nina Close (Mask), Mouse Man, Morgana, Fausta Grables, Queen Flamina, Furiosa and etcetera. I don't think Diana will miss them.

Cassie can be the granddaughter of Zeus. In one alternate timeline Young Justice story, she was the daughter of Dionysus. She could just as easily be the daughter of Apollo, Ares, Hermes and etcetera.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I preferred Cassie's pre-Zeus daddy origin as a normal person who used magical artifacts and got granted some powers for having the nerves of steel to ask for them in the first place.
    I kind of liked that too, though I think it could use updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Me too, not every hero has to be some special snowflake.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Diana's a blessed clay
    Donna's a Titan
    Cassie's a goddess
    As far as origin goes those are the differences

Diana's an ambassador
    Donna's a...
    How about Cassie's New 52 backstory as a thief? Anyone like/dislike that?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Diana's a blessed clay
    Donna's a Titan
    Cassie's a goddess

Diana's an ambassador
    Donna's a...
    I wasn't a fan of it at the time, but considering the New 52 origins they did for other characters, it was okay.

The idea of Cassie as a thief made sense. The original appearance of Cassie had her try heroing using stolen magical artifacts. This quickly got binned, but it was canon.

If we go the rebellious teen angle, maybe have her in a sort of frenemies relationship with Deva? Deva always seemed more eager to kill Diana than Cassie. Most of her interactions with Cassie stemmed from trying to mentally manipulate Cassie into helping her kill Diana. Not a natural start to a friendship, but I did say "frenemies"....

To add to my original post.

Can we combine these two costumes for Cassie?

Like, have the body suit in the animation but keep the Nu52 armor, ditch the shoulder and arm pieces and give her a short jacket? I like the gladiator boots on the Nu52 and the gold color.

P.S. I know the animated one is Donna, but Donna in black is the better look.
    Last edited by Perseus; 08-25-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Diana's a blessed clay
    Donna's a Titan
    Cassie's a goddess

Diana's an ambassador
    Donna's a...
    Donna could also be a ambassoder that's what she was in YJ