Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

I prefer all of their "original" origins - Diana is formed from clay and blessed by the Greek gods, Donna is a human with Amazonian training (including potential biological enhancements thanks to the purple healing ray or, if necessary, some kind of "blessing" from the Titans of myth which both enabled her survive whatever event left her orphaned, but also gave her superpowers which she discovered with the assistance of the Amazons), Cassie is a demi-goddess (although I'm not opposed to Cassie being a human who uses magical artifacts to be a superhero because that's inspiring in its own way).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I prefer all of their "original" origins - Diana is formed from clay and blessed by the Greek gods, Donna is a human with Amazonian training (including potential biological enhancements thanks to the purple healing ray or, if necessary, some kind of "blessing" from the Titans of myth which both enabled her survive whatever event left her orphaned, but also gave her superpowers which she discovered with the assistance of the Amazons), Cassie is a demi-goddess (although I'm not opposed to Cassie being a human who uses magical artifacts to be a superhero because that's inspiring in its own way).
    I am largely with you, but I preferred Cassie as someone who accumulated magical items associated with the Greek gods, and ultimately sassed off Zeus humorously enough that he granted her some innate powers. It fit in my mind with the idea of her being younger than the other too, and a bit of a brat - but in a good way.

(I mapped out a pitch in my head about why Cassie managed to find those items, but that's another story.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Pre-Flashpoint iDonna the "weapon" who was made in order to defeat Diana.
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure when that entered the narrative, but I can't help feeling that it wasn't pre-Flashpoint.

Certainly it wasn't a big part of quite a few origins I can remember:

- Diana as a girl (of course, not called Donna)
    - An infant rescued by Diana from a fire, and raised on Paradise Island (as we called it back then)
    - An infant rescued by the Titan Rhea from a fire, and raised on New Cronus by the Titans of Myth for their own purposes, which had nothing to do with Diana
    - Created from a reflection of Diana in a mirror by the Amazon sorceress Magala, to be a playmate for Diana on Themyscira (and then kidnapped by Dark Angel and tortured across multiple parallel dimensions, in one of which she had the Titans of Myth origin and all her other post-Crisis on Infinite Earths, pre-John Byrne adventures. Some people would say that all her origins were true, each one in a different Dark Angel-generated parallel world, but that's a later suggestion from a subsequent Phil Jimenez run; in Byrne's run, Dark Angel says to her, "in one of those worlds I even let you become a superhero," or worlds to that effect).

Not a weapon against Diana among them, although Dark Angel thought she had kidnapped the real Diana and was using her as a weapon against Hippolyta. (And I won't even start to explain why this is one of my least favorite Donna arcs ever... YMMV.)

Can anybody tell us where the "weapon against Diana" idea first came in? I'm thinking it's in the David & Meredith Finch era, after Brian Azzarello, somewhere on the border between The New 52 and Rebirth.

My favorite origin for Donna: a human girl from Man's World, who grows up partially on Themysicra and partially in a normal environment in Man's World (maybe one after the other, or maybe a bit more complicated than that), who gains powers that are similar to Diana's (through means that are not easily replicated, so "that's just what the Purple Ray does" isn't for me), and starts a career as Wonder Girl in Man's World as a teenager. And I'd like to know more about why she left Themysicra and became a superhero, what her relationship with Diana was in the early days of that (was she a sidekick?), who she lived with and whether she went to a normal school (I'd hope so), and so on. As Donna's origins have been retconned and whipped back and forth, opportunities to fill in this backstory have been largely ignored as irrelevant. (Although for a long time post-CoIE it was assumed she was secretly living in Titans Tower, and nobody, like Batman, really noticed that there was a teenager just living on her own with no guardians or schooling - I think we can do better than that!).

One of my very few pieces of thorough fan fiction is an origin for Donna that includes all that. But I've posted it here before, and I'll skip it this time.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 08-26-2020 at 11:59 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    My favorite origin for Donna: a human girl from Man's World, who grows up partially on Themysicra and partially in a normal environment in Man's World (maybe one after the other, or maybe a bit more complicated than that), who gains powers that are similar to Diana's (through means that are not easily replicated, so "that's just what the Purple Ray does" isn't for me), and starts a career as Wonder Girl in Man's World as a teenager. And I'd like to know more about why she left Themysicra and became a superhero, what her relationship with Diana was in the early days of that (was she a sidekick?), who she lived with and whether she went to a normal school (I'd hope so), and so on. As Donna's origins have been retconned and whipped back and forth, opportunities to fill in this backstory have been largely ignored as irrelevant. (Although for a long time post-CoIE it was assumed she was secretly living in Titans Tower, and nobody, like Batman, really noticed that there was a teenager just living on her own with no guardians or schooling - I think we can do better than that!).

One of my very few pieces of thorough fan fiction is an origin for Donna that includes all that. But I've posted it here before, and I'll skip it this time.
    The only change I'd make is to have the Titan Seed thing as the source of Donna's powers. It lay dormant until Diana took her to Themiscyra and trained her as an amazon. Even then it's a thing you don't need to explain immediately. It's like: "This one is special, we're not sure why yet, but we'll watch over her."

I don't mind both Diana and Cassie being demi-gods. They are pretty much different and their equipment while similar operates differently, Diana was born and raised in Themyscira and was taught by Amazons while Cassie was born and raised in Man's World and came to Themyscira later, the divine artefacts that she stole and wears could have unlock her divinity within her.

I liked Donna origin where she was a human who was found by Diana and was brought to Themyscira. Although since she was a founding member of the Titans, I was thinking that maybe she gets her divine gifts from the Titans rather than the Olympians which sets her apart from Diana and Cassie.

Diana and Donna's rebirth costume looks good but I would like Cassie to have a design similar to the Injustice comic book series or have a design akin to Wonder Woman's odyssey design.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ds8ACAfXoAAne6O.jpg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160708175415

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51aSH1BnhNL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post

I'd go with the original origin for Donna also. For the source of powers, I'd probably give her some familial relation to the Titans.

I liked the Zeus origin before Diana stole it because it made Cassie important in her own right. As the sole superheroine daughter of Zeus, she wouldn't need to always be seen as a sidekick to Diana.
    It's why I like Donna's powers to be granted by the Titans and not Olympians. Gives both of them their own special thing.

I preferred Cassie's pre-Zeus daddy origin as a normal person who used magical artifacts and got granted some powers for having the nerves of steel to ask for them in the first place.
    Me too. I liked how she told Vanessa that she asked to be Wonder Girl. She pursued it. She chose to become a hero rather than it being something that happened to her or because of her birth. Much more empowering than being born to it. Takes more proactive action. Not that I mind some heroes being born with their powers at all, but I don't like it retconned, especially in a way that removes "credit" from the hero.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-27-2020 at 08:21 AM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I don't think that Cassie's origin really needs anything done to it, in all honestly. I like her position right now as Zeus' granddaughter, as Diana's niece, it puts her in an interesting position that I don't think we've seen explored - and that's what needs to happen, it needs to be explored. Maybe change it so that her father is a more notable figure to the WW and Greek mythos than Lennox, but still keep it. Why can't she be the daughter of the heroic Hercules who was introduced in Robinson's run?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I don't think that Cassie's origin really needs anything done to it, in all honestly. I like her position right now as Zeus' granddaughter, as Diana's niece, it puts her in an interesting position that I don't think we've seen explored - and that's what needs to happen, it needs to be explored. Maybe change it so that her father is a more notable figure to the WW and Greek mythos than Lennox, but still keep it. Why can't she be the daughter of the heroic Hercules who was introduced in Robinson's run?
    And yet all of these make her father (who originally, at least, had nothing do with the raising her) the reason for her powers, the source of her being a hero. Just as making Zeus Diana's father had a tendency to do with her. Paternity is the most important aspect in those cases, with divine status/powers flowing through men. I'd much rather that not be the case.