Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed I think the story needs a final and proper resolution, an official closure, because the way things were left it feels like an ignored open wound that never was cauterized. I think marvel failed badly addresing this on Children´s Crusade and AvX, because they only added the life force and the Phoenix force without a final resolution to the story. They made the story more complicated but didn´t give it an end.
    What could really end it though, apart from the characters simply deciding to move on.

They gave Wanda the "possession" out with the Life Force... so the free pass is right there on the table. It's just a matter of the writers deiciding that the characters take it or not.

You can of course have Wanda gain her redeption by sacrificing herself or saving the world... but she does that all the time as a super hero. Did in in Uncanny Avengers and No Road Home. To Wanda, a super hero, that sort of stuff is just another day. I doubt any of the X-Men doubt she would sacrifice herself for others or try and save the world... she's an Avenger.

Rogue in Uncanny Avengers making peace with Wanda could have been marvel saying mutants in general were ready to forgive Wanda and move on... but no dice.

So again, what's really left to do?

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

End decimation officially giving the former mutants their powers back, a official trial by a neutral party(maybe a multiverse organization or a cosmic one something like that) and explain the relationship between the phoenix force and the life force, those would be my suggestions to give it a quick end to move on.

I think there´s space to include Chthon as an intellectual force behind house of m and decimation given his relationaship with Wanda and Pietro, his previous interest with mixing chaos magic and science using mutants genes but this is more like something I personally would like them to do just to connect all the stories.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-13-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    where is said sentence???? where? show us the pages, wolverine is not cyclops they wanted to take wanda but nowhere is it sated they wanted to execute her, show me the page where the x-men led by cyclops say " you are sentenced to death", SHOW me the page that shows that explicitly.

and what the two rosemary twins "THINK" the x-men were going to do ISN'T evidence.

Wanda doesn't deserve the mercy of being left alone yet she got it, jean lost her entire family for things she didn't even actually do, while wanda regains everything and comes out clean as a rose.
    Wanda did not regain everything. She's never been restored to her previous status nor let back on the main Avengers team. Left alone is about it.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

End decimation officially giving the former mutants their powers back, a official trial by a neutral party(maybe a multiverse organization or a cosmic one something like that) and explain the relationship between the phoenix force and the life force, those would be my suggestions to give it a quick end to move on.

I think there´s space to include Chthon as an intellectual force behind house of m and decimation given his relationaship with Wanda and Pietro, his previous interest with mixing chaos magic and science using mutants genes but this is more like something I personally would like them to do just to connect all the stories.
    That was the most unlikely to happen, along with Wanda having any story in her narrative. They just did not want to undo the depowering. Marvel is certain they were right about it.

And Chthon would have made far better sense than the Doom buttpull.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    That was the most unlikely to happen, along with Wanda having any story in her narrative. They just did not want to undo the depowering. Marvel is certain they were right about it.
    Now that they have the movie rights back I think they will end the depowering officially, Hickman at least has been beggining to do that on the X-titles, the MCU is getting ready to include the X-men so my guess is that there´s more editorial freedom to officially end the story. Children´s crusade should have been Wanda´s resolution but given Hickman brought back the issue I think there´s space to give a proper resolution to her character.

And Chthon would have made far better sense than the Doom buttpull.
    Agreed, I really wish they would have gone with him instead of involving Doom who wasn´t even there during those events.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Now that they have the movie rights back I think they will end the depowering officially, Hickman at least has been beggining to do that on the X-titles, the MCU is getting ready to include the X-men so my guess is that there´s more editorial freedom to officially end the story. Children´s crusade should have been Wanda´s resolution but given Hickman brought back the issue I think there´s space to give a proper resolution to her character.

Agreed, I really wish they would have gone with him instead of involving Doom who wasn´t even there during those events.
    I don't think the depowering happened because of the movies. Since it was long before that scuffle got serious. So I don't think that's it. Probably when Quesada is away from the company. Because it was his brain-dead idea.

At the time there was talk about being way too many mutants or that´s what Bendis said but I don´t think the writers neccesarily have to tell fans all that happens behind courtains or the dynamic behind their stories. I heard that was around the time Fox studios said they had a right to all mutant characters as they were part of their contract with marvel and later after the Iron Man movie was out they keep the MCU from using them or make references to mutants on their movies.

Maybe it was just Quesada thinking there were way too many mutants but it´s strange for marvel to keep for so many years a status quo from an event when they usually change it some years of months after their previous event, why keep that status quo for so many years?, this didn´t serve any narrative story but it was interesting it keep going during marvel fights with Fox over the character´s rights. It was around this time characters that used to be mutants like Cloak and Dagger were made super humans again. It could have been just editorial but I think we could make a connection between the two.

At the time there was talk about being way too many mutants or that´s what Bendis said but I don´t think the writers neccesarily have to tell fans all that happens behind courtains or the dynamic behind their stories. I heard that was around the time Fox studios said they had a right to all mutant characters as they were part of their contract with marvel and later after the Iron Man movie was out they keep the MCU from using them or make references to mutants on their movies.

Maybe it was just Quesada thinking there were way too many mutants but it´s strange for marvel to keep for so many years a status quo from an event when they usually change it some years of months after their previous event, why keep that status quo for so many years?, this didn´t serve any narrative story but it was interesting it keep going during marvel fights with Fox over the character´s rights. It was around this time characters that used to be mutants like Cloak and Dagger were made super humans again. It could have been just editorial but I think we could make a connection between the two.
    They kept the status quo because obviously the X-writers had a lot of stories to tell from it. Endangerd Specias, 2-3 Messiah events, Utopia... they had a decade worth of events they could squeeze out of it. Even to this day they're milking M day into storylines. Mutant stories thrive on them being victimized... the ultimate expression of that being anytime they can throw the term genocide around freely. It's their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    They kept the status quo because obviously the X-writers had a lot of stories to tell from it. Endangerd Specias, 2-3 Messiah events, Utopia... they had a decade worth of events they could squeeze out of it. Even to this day they're milking M day into storylines. Mutant stories thrive on them being victimized... the ultimate expression of that being anytime they can throw the term genocide around freely. It's their thing.
    The X-writers did the stories acording to the events at marvel of the time and what editorial managed and the story was post HoM decimation but not many of them were given a lot of flexibility to actually end decimation, they just worked stories around it and planned the Messiah Trilogy, but their perspective was about the impact on the X-men, Scott in particular and mutants the events had on them rather than ending the decimation.This was not limited to the X-books, Heinberg wrote Chindren´s Crusade but didn´t end decimation, AvX(Which had participation from writers of the main avengers and x-men titles) allowed more mutant births but it didn´t end decimation.

If you read interviews from Cullen Bunn, Mike Carey, Kieron Gillen, all of them had ideas about doing stories different from decimation, some of them they wrote, some of them they didn´t get to write but they didn´t need decimation to tell those stories.

Contrary to what last decade may lead you to believe, the X-men as a title is not actually about Genocide, sure they had stories about things going bad in the future so their objectives were about avoiding that future but it wasn´t a reality the way it was made to be during the decimation period.

I think Hickman said it like this: You as a writer wants to use X or Y character but he or she was either killed off, depowered or both.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-13-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's the way I see it too and this is why if rarely read the X-Men these days. I've dabbled a bit in Hickman's stuff but it hasn't really pulled me in yet.

At the time they felt there were too many mutants to write, and give enough attention to. Which is fine, but just don't write them. Fox had the rights from the late nineties. But, the fight between Marvel and Fox about that didn't start until the 2010s. After the MCU became very successful and Marvel really saw the earning potential.

The X-men have managed a big number of members for most of the 90´s it´s just natural when teams expand a writers bring more new characters to the table, not writting all of them all the time was exactly what the writers were doing and after Genosha, there was no reason to do another event about mutants dying, the X-books covered most of the main characters anyway. So I would like to know what was marvel logic at the time with killing off or depowering mutants just right after a similar event happened in the comics and now Jordan White said they didn´t need to reduce the number to 198 because when compared to the rest of the human population, that´s not even a minority.

Kevin Feige had plans of making references to mutants as early as Iron Man´s first movie but they didn´t get an agreemnt with Fox so they cut off that part. I would agree it was until this moment the discussion over the characters rights got more complicated.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-13-2020 at 09:12 PM.

The X-men have managed a big number of members for most of the 90´s it´s just natural when teams expand a writers bring more new characters to the table, not writting all of themm all the time was exactly what the writers Claremont, Morrison were doing, not writting them and after Genosha, there was no reason to do another event about mutants dying, the X-books covered most of the main characters anyway. So I would like to know what was marvel logic at the time with killing off or depowering mutants just right after a similar event happened in the comics and now Jordan White said they didn´t need to reduce the number to 198 because when compared to the rest of the human population, that´s not even a minority.

Kevin Feige had plans of making references to mutants as early as Iron Man´s first movie but they didn´t get an agreemnt with Fox so they cut off that part. I would agree it was until this moment the discussion over the characters rights got more complicated.
    If I had to guess (and that's all it is... just I guess) I think marvel wanted to eliminate the feeling that there was a mutant around every corner. It's an exaggeration to that this literally was the case... but I think they didn't want the world suddenly flooded with meta humans to the point where the world stopped looking like the one outside our window. Doing an event like Decimation means that mutants will feel like a rare thing, and every new character we see won't just be a mutant.

Once it's established that mutants are this endangered species and every third person we see on the street can't breath fire or levitate, the world can feel a bit more "normal." Again, all that is just why I think it was done. Just a guess.

If I had to guess (and that's all it is... just I guess) I think marvel wanted to eliminate the feeling that there was a mutant around every corner. It's an exaggeration to that this literally was the case... but I think they didn't want the world suddenly flooded with meta humans to the point where the world stopped looking like the one outside our window. Doing an event like Decimation means that mutants will feel like a rare thing, and every new character we see won't just be a mutant.

Once it's established that mutants are this endangered species and every third person we see on the street can't breath fire or levitate, the world can feel a bit more "normal." Again, all that is just why I think it was done. Just a guess.
    I see you point in fact it was the official explanation at the time but here I can add JDW pov, 198 is almost nothing, it´s absurd to be afraid of a number of people that small, especially since decimation made sure there would not be more mutant births. If that was the reason it would have worked better to leave a little more mutants around or just not doing decimation and just say a big number of the mutant population died on Genosha.

I see you point in fact it was the official explanation at the time but here I can add JDW pov, 198 is almost nothing, it´s absurd to be afraid of a number of people that small, especially since decimation made sure there would not be more mutant births. If that was the reason it would have worked better to leave a little more mutants around or just not doing decimation and just say a big number of the mutant population died on Genosha.
    I think you can argue Utopia and Krakoa made mutants pretty scary to the world.

Didn't Scott call his group the Extinction team or something to that effect because they were essentially weapons of mass destruction? He was literally trying to scare the world into leaving them alone (which if Scott ever took a psychology class in his life would realise that would have the opposite effect).

Krakoa is scary in a less direct way. Without trying to sound too judgemental it's this sort of creepy cult. They're killing each other and rising from the dead.

The smaller numbers make them scarier because it makes them desperate. It makes them more militant. Even the good guys will start going to more and more extreme measures to try and preserve themselves. A wild animal is a hole lot scarier when it's back in a corner with no place to go.