Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I have enjoyed most of HickmanÂ’s work except for his current X-Men run. I liked HoX and PoX but the on going x-books have been so boring imo. However, this isnÂ’t a rant about Hickmans X-books. This is more about the recent issue where not only was Dr Strange out of character but the Wanda hate too.

Hickmans Wanda hate is so ancient, he is referencing a „crime“that took place over a decade ago. Can we MOVE ON? not only that but wasn’t it „fixed“ and „addressed“ a long time ago? Did Hickman do his homework? I think not.

Another issue; the Wanda hate is so random and kinda hypocritical. He has notorious X-Villains roaming around Krakoa, cracking a cold one with the „heroes“ but god forbid they move past Wanda‘s mental breakdown.

As an Iron Man Fan, there is nothing worse than having writers constantly referencing one event where your favourite character was portrayed in a negative/villainous way. It sucks and to have your favourite be the Butt Monkey for the writers, it can kill your love for comics.

What are your guys thoughts?
    I think it's a different Wanda. Unless they are just being this consisent with using her old costume. Especially since she's using her newer one in Zub's Avengers book for this same event. And it completely ignores what's going on in the X-Men tie-in.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    The Phoenix Five didn't commit genocide. Scott killed Xavier, but Xavier attacked him first, and the two of them seem to have made their private amends. The supervillains are tolerated but not trusted. Is that the standard that we should hold the Scarlet With to?
    The standard Wanda has been held to has been pariah or missing. Avengers forgave her for the most part (we still don't know how Shulkie or Jack of Hearts feel), but in everything X, she's their boogeyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Why does Hickman trash her skills as a sorceress, then? Is that because her witchcraft is her own narrative, so he, like Bendis, seeks to trash/remove it?

Also, there is no credible reason for her to want to have any relationship with Magneto, due to the destruction their relationship has wrought.

If you put your finger in a socket and get an electric shock, you don't put your finger back in the socket. The socket, the thing you learn to avoid like the plague, for Wanda i
    that is Magneto.

For Wanda, Magneto and Chthon are identical dangers. They are both corrupting influences that threaten to destroy her.l
    My biggest problem with Mags being her dad is that they are handled by different offices. So nothing will ever truly get developed there. People seem to just like the idea of them being related. Because he never raised her and had very little presence afterward. And most of their favorite interactions to mention are Darker than Scarlet and HoM. Two stories that just trashed Wanda. It wasn't even something that resulted in development for Wanda. They just became reasons why people don't like her.

It is why I don't think her being a mutant or related to Mags ever helped her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The standard Wanda has been held to has been pariah or missing. Avengers forgave her for the most part (we still don't know how Shulkie or Jack of Hearts feel), but in everything X, she's their boogeyman.
    shulkie just said "don't blame her" to vision from what i remember when they were talking about... the thing that happened

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    shulkie just said "don't blame her" to vision from what i remember
    When? I missed that one.

BANNED

When? I missed that one.
    avengers 24.1 a few issues before avx

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Really, its just being brought up again because Wanda will probably start doing stuff in the Wanda Vision tv show. Not identical stuff obviously ... but I'll wager the source material will be an influence.
    Hopefully they don't trash the character like they did in comics. But by the synopsis it seems like something is messing with her. And that something might be link to the Doctor Strange movie.

avengers 24.1 a few issues before avx
    I remember that issue number but don't remember if I read it. I'll look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Firstly, in the fiction of the Marvel Universe, it's not been "ten years". Per comic book time, only 14 years passed since the FF flew that rocket. For the mutants, it's been 10 years since Professor Xavier first met Moira MacTaggert. SO the entire period of X-Men (the Claremont years, the Morrison years, the Whedon years, the Post-HoM years...all that happened in a very short period of time...if you find that hard to fathom, welcome to comics).

So Wanda's actions in House of M is pretty recent memory for mutants.

Secondly, Wanda's actions is tantamount to mass sterilization and amount to a kind of genocide. There's no statute of limitations on that in real life. I mean there are many stories of war criminals and others slipping into civilian life only to be revealed and exposed to his neighbors that they did terrible stuff in a war. So it happening 10 years ago is no excuse.

Thirdly, look Hank Pym is never gonna be a hero again for what he did to Janet, and he still gets a lot of grief and is called out multiple times for creating Ultron, a genocidal robot. So if he doesn't get a pass, I don't see how Scarlet Witch qualifies.

Fourthly, it wasn't addressed. The Children's Crusade feinted where they tried to make Doom responsible but the same story had Wolverine at the end say that Doom is fibbing in an effort to help Wanda and it wasn't explicit and nobody at Marvel is comfortable making Doom responsible for the mass culling of mutants.

At least, Hickman is allowing for the possibility of redemption...and indeed it is far more possible for Wanda to find a great good to counter the action of harm she did...then it is for Hank Pym to undo all the stuff he did.

From the perspective of the mutants, it's Wanda Maximoff who did the most harm to them in 616 Marvel. She was the one who took over their powers all out of a sense of resentment and frustration at the person she thought was her father. I mean going "no more mutants" wasn't justifiable in any sense.
    The sliding timescale is such a problem. It's difficult to believe that everything in 80 years of comics is stuffed in 14 or 15 years. For a character like Wanda who wasn't even present that much, there's more than a few month or years of story. Much more for those that stuck around while she was gone.

So under any scrutiny, it doesn't hold up.

Also, we have no idea what Hickman is doing yet. At most he's turning her into the idiot woman that always messes up and didn't have years of tutelage by Agatha Harkness. Which is both an insult to Wanda and to Agatha. We also don't know when this takes place or even if it's the same Wanda. Could be a Doombot, again.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 08-24-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

shulkie just said "don't blame her" to vision from what i remember when they were talking about... the thing that happened
    When? I missed that one.
    It was the issue where Bendis brought Vision back, and of course - of course - She-Hulk said not to blame Wanda because she couldn't help being crazy because she was raised by Magneto.

(I know she wasn't raised by Magneto, you know she wasn't raised by Magneto, and probably Bendis does too and doesn't care. The more objectionable thing to me is how he consistently portrayed her as someone who was always destined to snap and turn evil. That's not the character as she was portrayed for the 40 years before he got her.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    So did Sinister.
    This thread is about Wanda, my dude, not Sinister. This is a forum and not a court of law but the principle's the same. The one's in the docket is on the trial and has to be prosecuted and defended based on what they do. The X-Men's sketchy alliances on Krakoa is discussed and commented on separately but by itself that wouldn't negate or counter the accusations against Wanda.

The Nuremberg trials and the charges against Nazi war criminals aren't undone because the people bringing the charges are Jim Crow and Segregated USA, Stalinist USSR, and the British Empire on its last legs. I am not saying Wanda is morally the same as Nazism but her actions are of large scale and grave consequences and the Nazis did practice and tried to implement mass sterilization.

Hank remains hero after all that, numerous writers try to rehabilitate him and try to make him not look evil or stupid.
    And as Doctor Strange told Wanda, Hank has never been able to do a great good to undo the harm he has done. None of the redemptive Hank moments are as big as the scenes where he slapped Janet. The most important thing Hank did was create Ultron and that resulted in the destruction of Slorenia and the slaughter of every man, woman and child in that nation.

He didn't create Ultron to be evil,
    Fact is, he did it. Someone with his undiagnosed mental issues had no business using his intellect to create AI...when a very unstable genius plays with toys, is it a surprise that the toy turns out to be a murderbot. He learned it from watching you, Dad.

Except not every mutant should feel like this, especially those who know her. She's not a stranger to that community.
    Except she is. She's not a mutant anymore, Magneto's not her Dad. And even then most of her history is tied to the Avengers far more than X-Men and brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    My view is what it has always been: House of M is a story that Wanda barely appears in, it gets everything wrong about her character and history, and it ends with her doing something that should disqualify her from being a hero ever again if we take it seriously.
    Agreed.

The idea that this must be addressed, instead of retconned or dismissed, is just that the moment had a lot of impact on the X-Men books going forward, and there's this idea that she must be punished for things that happened in books she didn't appear in, based on a story that mis-characterized her as an omnipotent self-hating mutant.
    I don't know why this is a surprise for some posters. But it's not simply that a story is bad. It becomes worse if it's tied to continuity and publication stuff. It's why OMD is this elephant in the room for Spider-Man. House-of-M is like OMD. For X-Men fans it marked the point where Marvel officially tried to kneecap it away from the spotlight in favor of the Avengers. X-Men editors like Jordan White and others have all admitted that the X-Men continuity has been in a low-end since HoM.

So this isn't a bad story that can be simply swept under the rug. It needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.

BANNED

The sliding timescale is such a problem. It's difficult to believe that everything in 80 years of comics is stuffed in 14 or 15 years.
    Agreed but them's the breaks.

Also, we have no idea what Hickman is doing yet. At most he's turning her into the idiot woman that always messes up and didn't have years of tutelage by Agatha Harkness. Which is both an insult to Wanda and to Agatha. We also don't know when this takes place or even if it's the same Wanda. Could be a Doombot, again.
    I am sure Hickman has some idea and concept that will allow Wanda to land on her feet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I don't know why this is a surprise for some posters. But it's not simply that a story is bad. It becomes worse if it's tied to continuity and publication stuff. It's why OMD is this elephant in the room for Spider-Man. House-of-M is like OMD. For X-Men fans it marked the point where Marvel officially tried to kneecap it away from the spotlight in favor of the Avengers. X-Men editors like Jordan White and others have all admitted that the X-Men continuity has been in a low-end since HoM.

So this isn't a bad story that can be simply swept under the rug. It needs to be addressed.
    But, I mean, OMD was swept under the rug. The comic went on, often selling very well, so most comic-buyers and most writers didn't see Spider-Man as the kind of guy who would sell his marriage to the devil. Some readers feel that the story shattered their interest in Spider-Man, and I can definitely understand feeling that way, but writers don't feel like they have to keep bringing it up all the time.

But Spider-Man is a major flagship character, so he's protected from the worst things the writers make him do. Wanda rarely appears unless someone is dredging up House of M. But I don't honestly think "Doom did it or whatever, let's move on" would be that much different from "His marriage never happened because he sold it to Satan, whatever, let's move on."

BANNED

But, I mean, OMD was swept under the rug.
    No it wasn't.

The comic went on, often selling very well, so most comic-buyers and most writers didn't see Spider-Man as the kind of guy who would sell his marriage to the devil. Some readers feel that the story shattered their interest in Spider-Man, and I can definitely understand feeling that way, but writers don't feel like they have to keep bringing it up all the time.
    Except OMD is brought up all the time in many Spider-Man stories and storylines. Spider-Man/Deadpool addressed it constantly and many writers in the main continuity kept addressing it and the current Spider-Man run also addresses it.

A lot of Spider-Man stories since OMD is OMD-baiting in promotion or easter eggs. It's not by any means a story that was swept under the rug.

It's the most important Spider-Man story in the 616 continuity in the last 20 years and no story after it has matched it.

Wanda rarely appears unless someone is dredging up House of M. But I don't honestly think "Doom did it or whatever, let's move on" would be that much different from "His marriage never happened because he sold it to Satan, whatever, let's move on."
    Except Doom's not some generic villain. He's a major and popular character and him being tied to the X-Men corner weakens both titles especially for the sake of a character who as you say was minor otherwise.

House of M is the biggest story Scarlet Witch was ever part of and the most consequential action she did in the publication history. So it can't leave her.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

But, I mean, OMD was swept under the rug. The comic went on, often selling very well, so most comic-buyers and most writers didn't see Spider-Man as the kind of guy who would sell his marriage to the devil. Some readers feel that the story shattered their interest in Spider-Man, and I can definitely understand feeling that way, but writers don't feel like they have to keep bringing it up all the time.

But Spider-Man is a major flagship character, so he's protected from the worst things the writers make him do. Wanda rarely appears unless someone is dredging up House of M. But I don't honestly think "Doom did it or whatever, let's move on" would be that much different from "His marriage never happened because he sold it to Satan, whatever, let's move on."
    I'm surprised that Spider-Man is forgiven for some of the same things others never were able to survive. He slapped Mary Jane but wasn't as branded by that action as Hank was. Even the writer of the Avengers story Jim Shooter said that the slap was not his intention for that scene and the artist overplayed it. It all mushroomed from there

In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story.

When that issue came out, Bill Sienkiewicz came to me upset that I hadn’t asked him to draw it! He saw the intent right through Hall’s mistake, and was moved enough by the story to wish he’d had the chance to do it properly.