Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    MArston had them use swords for sport, not for war.
    No, before they came to the island they did use them for battle and they had women try to take over their island and the Amazons fought them. The Amazons have fought before. So how else is Diana able to fight when she needs to?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-24-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    You wonder about magic poisons; geez if only there was some poison master villain in Diana's rouges, a DR. of POISONS if you will that would work towards finding a new way hurt Diana using deadlier magic creatures. This villain might needs team up with other Villains and work together to achieve this goal. You know like a villain inc.

You wonder about magical piercing weapons; if only she had a list of beings that have access to the divine world or Gods that don't like Diana to work with to try and kill her. Like how vilains are intelligent and work together and create alliances to beat their mutual hero.
    Having her be weak to magical weapons is just complete laziness. Rather than actually putting in work to come up with clever ways to put Diana in a dangerous situation, all you do is throw-in a handwave so that the villains can be a threat. it's completely generic

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    No, before they came to the island they did use them for battle and they had women try to take over their island and the Amazons fought them. The Amazons have fought before. So how else is Diana able to fight when she needs to?
    With Martial Arts. Plenty of Martial arts disciplines have spiritual components to them, so it's completely logical for Themyscira to have a martial arts culture

1. Thank you for reinforcing my point
    2. No, they were created as a culture that was firmly against war.
    3. No, you have not provided a single example of what her being able to fly adds. If your example can be acomplished with the jet, then it's not adding anything that Diana didn't already have
    4. You're the one lacking in imagination, because the weakness you described is literally just the bullet weakness with a less defined limits
    5. The difference between Diana and other characters who can fly and who are bullet proof is that SHE HAS ICONOGRAPHY THAT ALREADY COVERS THOSE THINGS.

Diana has invisible jet. Diana has the bracelets. Those are things unique to her mythos, and it makes zero sense to replace them with generic stuff that dozens of other characters already do.

And that point is stupid. Saying there shouldn't be tension is completely backwards
    1. You don't really have one
    2. "better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war" The amazons are peaceful but they train for conflict because they aren't stupid.
    3. I have actually but go off.
    4. "less defined limits"? I just defined the weakness.
    5. I never said get rid of the jet, I just said SHE doesn't need because she can fly now for over 30 years.

I never said get rid of the bracelets, I ALSO, didn't say there shouldn't be tension at all either.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Having her be weak to magical weapons is just complete laziness. Rather than actually putting in work to come up with clever ways to put Diana in a dangerous situation, all you do is throw-in a handwave so that the villains can be a threat. it's completely generic

With Martial Arts. Plenty of Martial arts disciplines have spiritual components to them, so it's completely logical for Themyscira to have a martial arts culture
    Just like using a gun?

Go ask two different monks what Martial arts is about, you'll get two different answers.

Martial arts is both Chinese and Japanese. So the Amazons would have to learn from somewhere else. The Anicent greece had other styles. So the Amazons could easily learn from Athena many fighting skills throughout the centuries. Also, the Amazons are shown fighting with swords but paradise island. So why are you no go on swords?

A writer creating a villain that has a viable way to hurt a character as powerful as Diana is not lazy. Slapping a gun in someone's hands and telling them to kill a god is.

Extraordinary Member

1. You don't really have one
    2. "better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war" The amazons are peaceful but they train for conflict because they aren't stupid.
    3. I have actually but go off.
    4. "less defined limits"? I just defined the weakness.
    5. I never said get rid of the jet, I just said SHE doesn't need because she can fly now for over 30 years.

I never said get rid of the bracelets, I ALSO, didn't say there shouldn't be tension at all either.
    1. My point is that there's no reason to make Diana into a more generic character
    2. That just makes Themyscira into a much less interesting place.
    3. Then put your money where your mouth is and repost them. Repost everything that her being able to fly adds to the series that the Jet doesn't already do.
    4. The weakness you defined is "Magical weapon". There are no limitations on how magical weapons could be used or even what they could be. There's no point in being clever because everything can get handwaved away
    5. If you're saying she doesn't need it, that's the same thing as saying get rid of it. Same with the bracelets.

Just like using a gun?

Go ask two different monks what Martial arts is about, you'll get two different answers.
    1. No, because a gun man can't just point the gun at Diana. They have to be clever about it because Diana has a counter. They have to get Diana in a position that prevents her from blocking in order to hurt her. They have actually be creative.

2. Yeah, and the Amazonians would also have a different answer. It's an oppurtunity to world build
    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Martial arts is both Chinese and Japanese. So the Amazons would have to learn from somewhere else. The Anicent greece had other styles. So the Amazons could easily learn from Athena many fighting skills throughout the centuries. Also, the Amazons are shown fighting with swords but paradise island. So why are you no go on swords?
    Because a sword is a weapon of war. It has no purpose besides war, and since Amazons reject the concept of War entirely, swords are out of place for them

Here you go the Amazons went to war to protect themselves and once on Diana's 7th birthday

Image.jpg

It can also but used to disarm. A gun is a weapon of war but can also be in self-defense. So once again I think you're nitpicking. We have many amazons in GA age of the Amazons and Diana using swords to disarm people. So just has something that can be used for war can also be used for defense.

1. My point is that there's no reason to make Diana into a more generic character
    2. That just makes Themyscira into a much less interesting place.
    3. Then put your money where your mouth is and repost them. Repost everything that her being able to fly adds to the series that the Jet doesn't already do.
    4. The weakness you defined is "Magical weapon". There are no limitations on how magical weapons could be used or even what they could be. There's no point in being clever because everything can get handwaved away
    5. If you're saying she doesn't need it, that's the same thing as saying get rid of it. Same with the bracelets.

1. No, because a gun man can't just point the gun at Diana. They have to be clever about it because Diana has a counter. They have to get Diana in a position that prevents her from blocking in order to hurt her. They have actually be creative.

2. Yeah, and the Amazonians would also have a different answer. It's an oppurtunity to world build

Because a sword is a weapon of war. It has no purpose besides war, and since Amazons reject the concept of War entirely, swords are out of place for them
    If you think being bulletproof or being able to fly turns Diana into a generic character, then you don't know Diana.

The amazons due have guards. So it's not like they don't fight. And they are in armor many issues. Some with swords. I showed you the fact the Amazons if needed to would use weapons for self-defense. You're trying to rewrite something that doesn't exist.

Here are other times Diana or amazons has used a sword in Ga

So the Amazons and Diana have used Swords and Shields
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-24-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Also, wrestling was a sport so Diana would know how to do that. Boxing as well. A few others around that time period. Here I show you the Amazons with shield and swords. So this means they were in some serious trouble to do this. Only when it came to protection not just because they could. Many armies tried to take them over but they lost.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-24-2020 at 08:18 PM.

Incredible Member

Origins of powers: Blessed upon birth / creation by various Greek gods (preferably all female) after being sculpted from clay by Hippolyta.

Powers: Super strength, super durability, super speed, near invulnerability, enhanced healing, flight and communion with animals. All "augmented" by Amazonian training in all aspects of life - not just martial arts, but also dispute resolution techniques / diplomacy, science, history, literature, etc.

Tools and gadgets: Bracelets, tiara, lasso and the invisible jet. For me the simplest and most "obvious" explanation for the invisible jet is that the Amazons repaired and significantly improved Steve Trevor's plane when it crashed on Themyscira using their own technology and magic. Wonder Woman originally used it to transport herself AND Steve back to man's world without being detected and thereafter uses it if and when necessary (e.g. travelling with others, travelling undetected, etc).

No sword or shield "by default", but she can have access to additional weaponry from an armoury if needed depending upon the threat level she is facing.

Sculpted from clay by Hippolyta and given life by Aphrodite. After winning the contest she's gifted with superstrength by Demeter, limited telepathy and resistance to mind control by Athena, superhuman reflexes by Artemis, flight by Hermes and the lasso of truth by Hestia. Things like wisdom, empathy and animal communication should be her own, not gifted by anyone. Also I like her weakness to bullets, I'd make it a "gift" granted by Ares.
    Last edited by Psy-lock; 08-25-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Some peope really want Diana to become a street level or a brick uh

For me she should have her ability to fly, she looks more like a demi god with it, not sure why it is a problem for WW to have it when tons of other ''generic heroes'' have it

Diana being bulletproof don't work, her bracelets are too iconic for the character and she being bulletproof would take that, i would say she should be bulletproof when she enters in God Mode when she removes her bracelets.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Diana being bulletproof don't work, her bracelets are too iconic for the character and she being bulletproof would take that, i would say she should be bulletproof when she enters in God Mode when she removes her bracelets.
    I like the "explanation" that although Wonder Woman is essentially bulletproof, she uses her bracelets to deflect and redirect bullets to prevent them from ricocheting off her body and injuring nearby civilians and non-bulletproof colleagues / superheroes, friends and even villains.

I'm also generally happy with the "further" explanation that "bullets vs. bracelets" is a time honoured Amazonian tradition / rite of passage and that Diana mastered that skill before she knew that she was bulletproof and she relies upon her training instinctively instead of just standing there and being hit by bullets. Further, as a skilled tactician and warrior, Diana would know that she can't possibly foresee the true nature of ALL projectiles aimed at her (e.g. a "magic" bullet designed / crafted to kill gods / demigods), so she takes the prudent approach of deflecting bullets in the same way that she would also deflect sword strikes or even blunt force injuries because she is wise enough to know that one can never know the true limitations or abilities of the weapon or the wielder of that weapon.