Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Amazon training like in the Golden Age, and like the Silver Age training it also allows all Amazons to glide on air currents. So they would all be more or less on equal footing, Diana would just train the hardest.

She gets the aided boost of full blown flight from Hermes after being active for a few years.

Bracelets are indestructible Amazoniam, and the Magic Lasso has its old power set.

So where should the Amazons be? Before Diana what is the best they can do?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So where should the Amazons be? Before Diana what is the best they can do?
    Since I'd go with Rucka's Year One thing where Diana gets the powers after the contest, I'd probably have the average Amazons around where I guess wherever Captain America is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd probably have the average Amazons around where I guess wherever Captain America is supposed to be.
    Same, I always see the Amazons' physicality being comparable that to Captain America so they are all magical equivalent of super soldiers.

I am fine with Diana being either a demigod, winning a tournament and was given gifts or was given life and was gifted by the gods but her skills should be a part of her thorough years of experience. The divine gifts could be use as sort of an enhancement for her natural aptitudes to increase her efficacy.
    Last edited by Incognito; 08-27-2020 at 08:41 AM.

If we keep the Godmode from her getting a power boost from the Gods. How would the god mode be different? Would it be due to how much of the boost she really got?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Loved this and your last post. They are sooooo spot-on!!

This is how I see Diana as well. Thank you for putting all of this into words!!
    Actually, there's a way around this. Her gods simply made her that way as to keep her powers in check; it's her kryptonite. Yes, it's hard to hit her, but it will still harm her. I see no problem her not being bullet proof and vulnerable to man-made weapons, but it's going to be VERY VERY hard to do so.

I prefer Diana to be given directly by the Titan Themis, and Themis and her children have enough power to partake her. She is in a way a demi-god cousin of the Olympians. Hence, Themyscira

God mode due to Diana being blessed it's also still a lot more than she can hold?

I’m a fan of the Perez origin, but I’d change it up so that Diana is still a child of prophecy, but doesn’t gain her superpowers from the Olympian goddesses and Hermes until after winning the contest, kind of like Rucka did.

In that sense I can have my cake and eat it too. She’s equal to or surpasses her Amazon sisters via Amazon training, but then gets her powers that she can use with her Amazon training when she heads to Patriarch’s World.

The lasso and bracelets forged from the Aegis of Zeus are her most formidable and most used weapons. The stone in her tiara is connected to the Amazon’s mental radio. She has a sword, and shield, and labrys, and golden eagle armor at her disposal, but they’re seldom used in favor of her magical lasso and bracers and martial skills of the Amazons.

Diana uses Amazon tech as it’s developed and one of her favorite pieces of Amazon tech is her invisible, cloaking jet that was given to her at the outset of her quest to Man’s World. Diana always seems to have friends tagging along on her adventures and the invisible jet is a convenient way to bring everyone along. And high-flyer pilot Steve Trevor has become particularly adept to flying it.

A73D99CC-FCFC-4943-BE5A-A3367139A502.jpg
    Last edited by WonderScott; 09-07-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Since I'd go with Rucka's Year One thing where Diana gets the powers after the contest, I'd probably have the average Amazons around where I guess wherever Captain America is supposed to be.
    I’d have them surpass Captain America and past souped-up, super-peak human. I’d like them to physically and powerfully inspiring and physically and powerfully unnerving to different types of people in Patriarch’s World.

I'm rather back to basics, and I want to avoid adding stuff without a clear thought and purpose to it. Adding too many powers to a character can be just as damaging as removing them. I also want to get rid of elements that I think diminish her feminist message and core. And third, I want to tie Diana more strongly to other pieces of the Matter of DC and to make the backstory of Diana a stronger feminist take on Greek mythology.

So with that in mind. Clay origin, and Diana was brought to life by Aphrodite, or possibly Hestia. She was raised, trained, and educated by the Amazons, who are nymphs of civilisation—that is, minor gods dwelling on Earth. She is an expert in fields as diverse as rhetorics, mathematics, philosophy, poetry, medicine, botany, psychology, and history. The training also included stuff like gardening, pottery, baking, and cooking. She also got a thorough grounding in martial arts and logistics.

From her Amazon training and heritage she already has superhuman strength, reactions, speed, endurance, senses, and some minor psionic/empathic powers.

After winning the contest (or at birth, but like WonderScott I prefer sometime after the contest), she was further gifted by the following set of gods: Aphrodite, Athena/Hekate, Hestia, Artemis, Demeter, and Prometheus/Hermes. Because the Greeks adopted the Amazon pantheon and then made it more palatable to them by removing key aspects of especially Hestia, Hekate (turning the remaining pieces into Athena), and Promethus (turning the remaining pieces into Hermes).

Aphrodite: Love, passion, and a superpowered empathy. This ties into her Amazon training in psionics and psychology. Remember her scene with Charlie in the movie? That's totally Aphrodite's blessing in play.

Athena/Hekate: Wisdom, good judgment, and clarity of mind. Also, Diana is not a magic user per se, but she has a thorough knowledge about the use and limits of magic, and has a good set of regular rituals that protect and help her and her household in various ways. Trying to mind control Diana is like hitting a brick wall, even without the lasso.

Hestia: Invulnerability to nearly all fires (note: volcanoes are not fire) and the lasso. She also boosts Diana's skills in stuff like planning, logistics, diplomacy, politics, and so on.

Demeter: Strength, endurance, and resistance of the earth (well, maybe she is impervious to volcanoes. Space stones will still be a hassle). Through Demeter, Diana also has a connection with the Green. And Diana is an excellent baker as well. I'd also add that there are two men that Diana should call brother. The first is Superman. The second is Swamp Thing.

Artemis: Communication with beasts, boosting all skills related to hunting and wilderness, and a connection to the Red. Also, Diana is a superlative midwife and physician thanks to her connection to Artemis.

Prometheus: As humanity's staunchest ally among the gods of Greek mythology, I think he deserves a much more important spot in Diana's backstory. From him Diana got speed, flight, and quickness of mind.

Also, get some one-shot issues where Diana tells Amazon mythology, before the Greeks got their grubby hands on it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm rather back to basics, and I want to avoid adding stuff without a clear thought and purpose to it. Adding too many powers to a character can be just as damaging as removing them. I also want to get rid of elements that I think diminish her feminist message and core. And third, I want to tie Diana more strongly to other pieces of the Matter of DC and to make the backstory of Diana a stronger feminist take on Greek mythology.

So with that in mind. Clay origin, and Diana was brought to life by Aphrodite, or possibly Hestia. She was raised, trained, and educated by the Amazons, who are nymphs of civilisation—that is, minor gods dwelling on Earth. She is an expert in fields as diverse as rhetorics, mathematics, philosophy, poetry, medicine, botany, psychology, and history. The training also included stuff like gardening, pottery, baking, and cooking. She also got a thorough grounding in martial arts and logistics.

From her Amazon training and heritage she already has superhuman strength, reactions, speed, endurance, senses, and some minor psionic/empathic powers.

After winning the contest (or at birth, but like WonderScott I prefer sometime after the contest), she was further gifted by the following set of gods: Aphrodite, Athena/Hekate, Hestia, Artemis, Demeter, and Prometheus/Hermes. Because the Greeks adopted the Amazon pantheon and then made it more palatable to them by removing key aspects of especially Hestia, Hekate (turning the remaining pieces into Athena), and Promethus (turning the remaining pieces into Hermes).

Aphrodite: Love, passion, and a superpowered empathy. This ties into her Amazon training in psionics and psychology. Remember her scene with Charlie in the movie? That's totally Aphrodite's blessing in play.

Athena/Hekate: Wisdom, good judgment, and clarity of mind. Also, Diana is not a magic user per se, but she has a thorough knowledge about the use and limits of magic, and has a good set of regular rituals that protect and help her and her household in various ways. Trying to mind control Diana is like hitting a brick wall, even without the lasso.

Hestia: Invulnerability to nearly all fires (note: volcanoes are not fire) and the lasso. She also boosts Diana's skills in stuff like planning, logistics, diplomacy, politics, and so on.

Demeter: Strength, endurance, and resistance of the earth (well, maybe she is impervious to volcanoes. Space stones will still be a hassle). Through Demeter, Diana also has a connection with the Green. And Diana is an excellent baker as well. I'd also add that there are two men that Diana should call brother. The first is Superman. The second is Swamp Thing.

Artemis: Communication with beasts, boosting all skills related to hunting and wilderness, and a connection to the Red. Also, Diana is a superlative midwife and physician thanks to her connection to Artemis.

Prometheus: As humanity's staunchest ally among the gods of Greek mythology, I think he deserves a much more important spot in Diana's backstory. From him Diana got speed, flight, and quickness of mind.

Also, get some one-shot issues where Diana tells Amazon mythology, before the Greeks got their grubby hands on it.
    I don't think we need to think of a specifict thing that can hurt her. She should just be very durable and very hard to damage. I mean that has always been the case anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Actually, there's a way around this. Her gods simply made her that way as to keep her powers in check; it's her kryptonite. Yes, it's hard to hit her, but it will still harm her. I see no problem her not being bullet proof and vulnerable to man-made weapons, but it's going to be VERY VERY hard to do so.

I prefer Diana to be given directly by the Titan Themis, and Themis and her children have enough power to partake her. She is in a way a demi-god cousin of the Olympians. Hence, Themyscira
    The post was spot-on from page 1. Thanks.

I have been wondering what about Hippolttya? I mean how powerful is the queen of the amazons?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I have been wondering what about Hippolttya? I mean how powerful is the queen of the amazons?
    Hippolyta, and by extension Antiope, Penthesilea, and Melanippe are actual daughters of Ares, so she would be a demigod. She was always a superhuman compared to the rest of the amazons, 10 times a strong as one amazon, so she would be very powerful compared to another. Compared to Diana.... not so much. Say if Diana can lift planets/stars then Hippolyta could lift a mountain or a large building.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

All-New Member

Coming to this lately, my opinion is that I prefer a demigoddess to being living clay.
    Zeus's illegitimate child would make Hera a problem.
    I would keep the flying but she could use the jet for passengers and cargo that she can't carry by herself or having performance that she cannot match like high altitude.
    Jet has big problem-needs fuel, lots of fuel to go places. Suggest nuclear power plant such as fusion reactor with aneutronic reactions to avoid radiation problems.
    X-Men jet had same problems. Too short on range. Could be the mobile base.
    Shapeshifting?Ah....don't know about that one.
    Basically, she is Superman's magical equal, that is, she has the magically powered equivalence to Superman in terms of strength and durability.
    In BvS, her sword cut off Doomsday's hand and pierced his ankle, causing him pain.
    The shield and bracelets are both able to standup to Doomsday's heat vision and protect another as she protected Batman with shield and bracelets.
    She has been depowered enough for my taste and let's drop Rucka's origin.
    Clarify Amazons having what powers and abilities and do they have technology or are still in bow and arrow stage?