Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Endless Winter

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Most execs/creative leads see her and think "she's like Xena, right?" forgetting that Diana arguably inspired Xena. You really saw this in the begin stories in the Nu52, when Geoff was writing her. Constantly loving fighting and war, talks of killing all her villains, etc...
    It's like they all phased out when the movie revealed the sword was a red herring.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's stronger than any axe. She could just punch it. They want Diana to be Conan, hence why she's always got a weapon in hand.
    I wasn't serious

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's like they all phased out when the movie revealed the sword was a red herring.
    Yea, the movie's nuance was completely lost on people that think Diana is in warrior mode 100% of the time. And most of those people have a very toxic view of what kind of warrior Diana is. I remember a few reviewers that joked about Diana being the godkiller cause Zeus banged Hippolyta, you know its funny cause he sleeps around. Bad taste really.

Guys like Scott and Geoff, I've discovered, really don't have any nuanced takes on Diana being anti war while using weaponry. As much as I dislike Azz's run, he at the very least made sure that Diana knows when to use a sword and shield, I don't see nearly as many horrible/out of character moments of violence in Azz's run compared to other writers during Nu52.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I wasn't serious
    My mistake. Text often fails to capture inflection.

Yea, the movie's nuance was completely lost on people that think Diana is in warrior mode 100% of the time. And most of those people have a very toxic view of what kind of warrior Diana is. I remember a few reviewers that joked about Diana being the godkiller cause Zeus banged Hippolyta, you know its funny cause he sleeps around. Bad taste really.

Guys like Scott and Geoff, I've discovered, really don't have any nuanced takes on Diana being anti war while using weaponry. As much as I dislike Azz's run, he at the very least made sure that Diana knows when to use a sword and shield, I don't see nearly as many horrible/out of character moments of violence in Azz's run compared to other writers during Nu52.
    Yeah, I've tended to notice appearances outside her own book or ensemble stuff by Johns, Snyder, or Taylor is where the "warrior woman" stuff gets really obnoxious.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-25-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I've tended to notice appearances outside her own book or ensemble stuff by Johns, Snyder, or Taylor is where the "warrior woman" stuff gets really obnoxious.
    Hell, remember the James Robinson interview where he said his favorite thing about the No Man's Land scene was Diana's "eagerness for battle." Like, that isn't even missing nuance. Diana says outright she doing it to help people, not because she's itching for a fight.

It's the worst kind of automatic pilot approach to Diana. Stick her in armor, give her a weapon and shield, and have her cut off heads because she's a "warrior" and think no further.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    She needs that axe to break the ice
    You jest, but that's probably the actual reason behind it...

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Hell, remember the James Robinson interview where he said his favorite thing about the No Man's Land scene was Diana's "eagerness for battle." Like, that isn't even missing nuance. Diana says outright she doing it to help people, not because she's itching for a fight.

It's the worst kind of automatic pilot approach to Diana. Stick her in armor, give her a weapon and shield, and have her cut off heads because she's a "warrior" and think no further.
    Yeah, no shortage of bad writers on her own book but honestly appearances elsewhere are where I think the character gets written the worst.

...I don't see nearly as many horrible/out of character moments of violence in Azz's run compared to other writers during Nu52.
    For Diana, at least. Not so much for all the rest of the Amazons. Seeing them, you had to wonder how she broke away from their cult of man-hating murderers (who mistreated her as a kid because she was "different") and learned compassion and kindness. Maybe from Ares?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

No "winter is coming" jokes?

Actually, didn't Thor over at Marvel just deal with an enemy called the Black Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    For Diana, at least. Not so much for all the rest of the Amazons. Seeing them, you had to wonder how she broke away from their cult of man-hating murderers (who mistreated her as a kid because she was "different") and learned compassion and kindness. Maybe from Ares?
    Oh, yea, the amazons got the worst end of the stick in the Nu52. From a technologically advanced culture of ageless warrior women with different interests and hobbies that shaped their society, that tries to reconnect to the outside world in a positive way. To a tribe of barbarian women trapped in the bronze age that rape and kill ships of men, trade male children for weapons, and indoctrinate little girls into a sexist, man hating ideology. Brian Azzerello took every single bad faith argument against feminism and made it truth. Guys like him will gleefully write an all women society as sexist and bigoted and backwards then turn around and write an all male society as compassionate, forgiving, and understanding. They can't write an all male society as backwards thinking or sexist, it would hit too hard to home if they did, it wouldn't be fiction anymore. #notallmen just to be on the safe side.

Who do we think “he” is that was up to this point thought dead? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Who do we think “he” is that was up to this point thought dead? Hmmm...
    Imperex? At first I thought it was Superboy Prime but he's in METAL so, its not him.

Extraordinary Member

http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...16&postcount=1

Looks like it'll tie into Hippolyta's past somehow. From scanning the solicitations it seems like a bit of a filler event.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: ENDLESS WINTER #1
    Written by ANDY LANNING and RON MARZ
    Art by HOWARD PORTER
    Backup story art by MARCO SANTUCCI
    Cover by MIKEL JANIN card stock
    Card stock variant cover by DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON.
    "Endless Winter" chapter one! The crossover event of the season begins here! The Justice League encounters an extinction-level global storm brewing at the former site of the Fortress of Solitude. Enter the Frost King, a monster mad with power with an army at his command! What devastating mystery lies in his past? And how does he tied to Queen Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, Viking Prince, and their reluctant ally, Black Adam? Two timelines will reveal further clues and secrets throughout each chapter of this blockbuster tale!
    40 pages, $4.99, (Cardstock variant, $5.99), available on Dec. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...16&postcount=1

Looks like it'll tie into Hippolyta's past somehow. From scanning the solicitations it seems like a bit of a filler event.
    That grouping sounds like some proto-Justice League.