Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New 52 Appreciation

I saw a thread for this 3 years ago, and it's been running through my brain since Fandome.

Since the conception, the New 52 received a lot of criticism and negativity. I know a lot of it was actually warrented, but all the negativity seems to greatly overshadow some really great things the New 52 did. Now that Rebirth banner has passed and there's just one DCU, what are some things you enjoyed about the New 52?

Well since New 52 history is canon to an extent and created characters and histories so there is some appreciate

-I appreciate characters like Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, Wallace West, Khalid Nassour, Jon Kent, Duke Thomas, Harper Row, and Luke Fox exists
    -I like John Constantine now just lives in the DC universe
    -I like Jason Todd reworking into the Batfamily and more modern iteration
    -I like the Snyder Swamp Thing series
    -The Nightwing Grayson series
    -The Peter Tomasi Batman and Robin series
    -The New 52 Flash run by Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul
    -Geoff Johns Aquaman
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-24-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Aquaman
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man
    Demon Knights

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't think you'll find many who didn't at least enjoy Aquaman.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I appreciate that Doomsday Clock brought it back!
    Assassinate Putin!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Aquaman
    Action Comics
    Captain Atom
    Charles Soule's Swamp Thing
    China Melville's Dial H
    The Shade
    Shazam
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-26-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't think you'll find many who didn't at least enjoy Aquaman.
    Aquaman has always been an amazing series and hero to me. I felt they really increased efforts in story, art and characters at a time when the media absolutely wanted to lambaste Aquaman and turn him into a joke. I think that's also why it was enjoyable.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

The New 52 had a mostly solid first year and could have been a great take on the DCU with a little more planning.

T-Shirt Superman deserves his own Earth.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Aquaman has always been an amazing series and hero to me. I felt they really increased efforts in story, art and characters at a time when the media absolutely wanted to lambaste Aquaman and turn him into a joke. I think that's also why it was enjoyable.
    He really is the best of the best.

I really loved Demon Knights. And I haven't finished it but Animal Man is great too

Something I liked that hasn’t been mentioned: the Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow run.

I liked how DC gave a lot of the "Obscures" a chance. At least at first. Demon Knights for example was really fun. No crossovers, no ground breaking story arcs but so much fun. And then one of my favorites was Sword of Sorcery. It's too bad it couldn't have just been Amethyst but had to an anthology instead. Very solid book with a of potential.

Swamp Thing was good but I think I'd dare to say Animal Man was the perfect run. It was so good. The threats were real, the costs were real, it ended before it got saturated, 10/10 perfect.

Ironically the Green Lantern series was pretty great, despite keeping most of their events canon. Once the Godhead crossover hit though I felt like it went downhill. Sinestro continued to be the great, but I didn't care about Hal Jordan: Rebel, Lost Army or Omega Men, which everyone absolutely loved and now we have Tom King writing everything... So that's cool.

Remember Justice League 3000? Or it's sequel 3001? How about the Larfleeze series that had suicidal robots?

I even likes the Phantom Stranger and Pandora. It's too bad Pandora was plagued with the "catalyst of the N52" title. Her series was actually pretty interesting albeit plagued by a crossover that went on way too long. The Trinity of Sin was a good new mythos to have. I'll add more as they come to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Something I liked that hasn’t been mentioned: the Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow run.
    Agreed. That was actually a great new take on him. It was one of the few runs that managed to truly feel new while doing some great world building.
    There were other greats runs like Aquaman, but most of them could have been told without the New 52. Lemire's GA feels right for a new take on a younger Oliver Queen.

Batman
    Action Comics
    Green Arrow
    Swamp Thing
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Flash
    Justice League Dark
    Justice League
    Suicide Squad
    Nightwing
    The Shade
    Resurrection Man
    Supergirl
    Earth 2
    Savage Hawkman
    Detective Comics

I enjoyed lots of New 52, I think people were just ready to hate it right from the start. Yes there were the garbage titles like Firestorm, Teen Titans, Superman, Catwoman, Red Hood, and unfortunately they did lots of damage to the brand.

New 52 was like a golden age for DC’s supernatural heroes. That has always been one of DC’s strong points so it was great to see them get a chance to shine. Demon Knights, Frankenstein Agent of SHADE, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Justice League Dark, etc. Say what you will about the rest of the New 52 but that was a huge bright spot.