Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default Powerpuff Girls Live-Action Show in Development at CW

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pow...cw-1234746828/

Why? I don't understand. This doesn't need live action

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pow...cw-1234746828/

Why? I don't understand. This doesn't need live action
    Apparently someone at the CW decided this was needed. A few years ago I thought the Archie-Meets-Twin Peaks mashup Riverdale wasn’t needed, and, much to my lasting chagrin, that became a hit. I fear history might repeat itself here with PPG.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Apparently someone at the CW decided this was needed. A few years ago I thought the Archie-Meets-Twin Peaks mashup Riverdale wasn’t needed, and, much to my lasting chagrin, that became a hit. I fear history might repeat itself here with PPG.
    Riverdale works because the CW knows their base. They didn't target Archie fans, they targeted the people already watching the CW and doing a surprisingly good quality show with the tone and style that appeals to their viewers.

Cartoon Network however is marketing to their viewers...who come to their channel to watch cartoons. There's more to question here.

In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?
    Sounds interesting.

CW’s got a good track record w. shows like this, so I’ll give it a shot if and when it airs.
    If Mojo Jojo comes off half as good as Flash’s Gorilla Grodd he’ll be pretty cool...

I can't see this ending up as anything other than a trainwreck.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Riverdale works because the CW knows their base. They didn't target Archie fans, they targeted the people already watching the CW and doing a surprisingly good quality show with the tone and style that appeals to their viewers.

Cartoon Network however is marketing to their viewers...who come to their channel to watch cartoons. There's more to question here.
    Isn't going to be on the CW though? It's not something I'm super interested in, but it makes perfect sense considering their YA audience.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Isn't going to be on the CW though? It's not something I'm super interested in, but it makes perfect sense considering their YA audience.
    I guess with how they're envisioning it but the Powerpuff Girls?

Scooby Doo would've been easier.

Heck Totally Spies! would've been an easier sell.

The last time Cartoon Network tried rebooting PPG, they put in twerking, got rid of Miss Bellum (despite never seeing her face, she was actually quite intelligent), got rid of the over the top violence, and so much more. Hard pass on this one.

There was a anime also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The last time Cartoon Network tried rebooting PPG, they put in twerking, got rid of Miss Bellum (despite never seeing her face, she was actually quite intelligent), got rid of the over the top violence, and so much more. Hard pass on this one.
    This is an entirely different scenario, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I didn't actually read the article, just reacted to the headline of the thread.
    If this is going on the CW instead of Cartoon Network? Okay yeah, I can see that, maybe sort of. Kind of trippy.

Is it like a comedy or ?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    This is an entirely different scenario, though.
    So, CW is "adapting" a cartoon loved for its over the top violence by super powered, adorable, 5 year old girls?

...I'm having serious reservations about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, CW is "adapting" a cartoon loved for its over the top violence by super powered, adorable, 5 year old girls?

...I'm having serious reservations about this.
    Yeah, and turning it into a live action show about three twenty somethings dealing w. their past as super powered, adorable, 5 year old girls.
    What you referenced was a cartoon, which aped the original, rebooted w. new elements added, classic elements removed. Different scenario.

Also, a show like this sounds right up CW’s alley.

Everyone should just keep in mind that we know nothing about how they plan to handle this before dismissing it. I see this all the time now - just because fans "can't see" how it can be done doesn't mean it's going to be bad. If fans could envision it, we'd all be making the shows rather than watching them.