Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

"Live-action Powerpuff Girls" sounds like a parody trailer you'd see on YouTube designed to make fun of bad live-action adaptations of cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Everyone should just keep in mind that we know nothing about how they plan to handle this before dismissing it. I see this all the time now - just because fans "can't see" how it can be done doesn't mean it's going to be bad. If fans could envision it, we'd all be making the shows rather than watching them.
    When I think of some cartoons from my childhood, I just can’t fathom as anything other than cartoons Power Puff Girls (yeah little me used to love it, this is an anonymous site, I don’t care what I admit to here, lol), Fairy Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, whatever the hell Catdog was.... I just can’t see it, even if it wasn’t the CW seems like a really bad idea. Then again apparently the that Dora the Explorer movie was well liked. So maybe you’re right.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 08-25-2020 at 07:57 AM.

^^^oh, he's right.
    Sight unseen, we can only speculate.

As an aside, the PPG premierd when I was about 30, and I enjoyed the heck out of it, no shame here!

It was an incredibly clever show, and a lot of the humor was aimed at adults. The Beat Alls episode for example...

...was just wall to wall Beatles references; i was LOLing the entire time, and when my oldest child then six, asked why this ep was especially funny to me, I got to introduce him to one of the greatest Rock bands ever.

Astonishing Member

I'm picturing the new Powerpuff Girls are going to look like this.

This is the CW.

I was almost excited when I saw the names of the Juno and Veronica Mars writers. The CW pitch killed my excitement. Why CW??????

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post

This is the CW.
    Not sure how you meant for this to be taken, but now I’m more excited for this than before!

Oh, throw in Kennedy McAnn as a grownup Princess Morebucks...

...and the CW circle of awesome is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post

This is the CW.
    That's funny, I always thought the personality template was the Archie's (comic and cartoon) Pussycats.
    Making them CW Riverdale look and age adjacent makes it seem that much more obvious.
    Green one Buttercup, will no doubt be cast afro-latina (well , cause that's how I would do it:-p).

https://media3.giphy.com/media/W1OEP...vd3f/giphy.gif
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-25-2020 at 11:43 AM.

I have to say I'm skeptical of this... I was a fan of the cartoon as a kid, but I having a difficult time imagining this working as a live adaptation. Additionally, fans of the series don't seem to be excited over this news.

I'm hoping CW can surprise me with this, because after the 2016 reboot, a live action PPG series being another failure could really damage the overall franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    That's funny, I always thought the personality template was the Archie's (comic and cartoon) Pussycats.
    Green one Buttercup, will no doubt be cast afro-latina (well , cause that's how I would do it:-p).
    I can see why you’d think Pussycats, but I think they’re pretty unique, really.

Either that or the blonde brunette redhead formula’s just a universal constant!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Everyone should just keep in mind that we know nothing about how they plan to handle this before dismissing it. I see this all the time now - just because fans "can't see" how it can be done doesn't mean it's going to be bad. If fans could envision it, we'd all be making the shows rather than watching them.
    While I believe this series can't work well for live action. The premise it's going with rubs me the wrong way. How am I suppose to believe these girls were robbed of their childhood when they weren't allow to defeat the villain until they finished their chores and had to be excused from class to save the city.

If you knew nothing about the PPG, how many of you thought you'd be into a show called "Power Puff Girls" with this kind of art style?

How many of you would have been able to imagine this show being as good as it was?

I'm at least hopeful that they'll bring us something with the same spirit as the original and maybe give us something we haven't seen before. Or maybe it'll be something not geared towards me at all.

Also, isn't there a 4th PPG now from the new show? I haven't been watching those...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-25-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Kind of conflicted about the idea of them doing this. The two things I think they’ll have to change is Professor Utonium’s gender (they is no way in heck the concept of a adult man creating three ‘perfect girls’ is going to come across as anything but creepy in live action) and the characterisation of Him (he’s scary but also arguably a PC nightmare). And at least one of the girls will get their ethnicity changed (since they’re created nothing says they all have to be white).

The big question is whether elements from other shows of the same era get included or even receive a spin off - it would be pretty easy to add Dexter, Dee Dee and Mandark as occasional additions.

Princess, the Slam Green Gang and the Rowdy Ruff Boys will probably be straight forward but I don’t know they’ll tackle Mojo Jojo, the Ameboys, Fuzzy Lumpkins and Him in a way that is faithful to their original incarnations.

I’ll be SMHing if they change Prof. Untonium’s gender as there’s absolutely no need to.

As for Him? The character seems tailor made for today’s gender fluid minded culture.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Kind of conflicted about the idea of them doing this. The two things I think they’ll have to change is Professor Utonium’s gender (they is no way in heck the concept of a adult man creating three ‘perfect girls’ is going to come across as anything but creepy in live action) and the characterisation of Him (he’s scary but also arguably a PC nightmare). And at least one of the girls will get their ethnicity changed (since they’re created nothing says they all have to be white).

The big question is whether elements from other shows of the same era get included or even receive a spin off - it would be pretty easy to add Dexter, Dee Dee and Mandark as occasional additions.

Princess, the Slam Green Gang and the Rowdy Ruff Boys will probably be straight forward but I don’t know they’ll tackle Mojo Jojo, the Ameboys, Fuzzy Lumpkins and Him in a way that is faithful to their original incarnations.
    I think Him will be changed to "They". Being a shapeshifter the writers can easily make him gender fluid or non-binary.

Fuzzy Lumpkins will be MAGA. The easiest thing to do with him.