Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Question History of Batman saying "I am vengeance"

This great quote was used in Batman:The Animated series. Also used in the recent The Batman movie trailer. Are there notable uses of it in the comics though? And if so, when did it first appear? Is it in any 80s, 90s comics, etc?

Ditto for "I am the night", though that one I do think was used in the animated series primarily.

Incredible Member

It seems like the kind of line that may have been in an O'Neil story first, but TAS definitely popularized it. In particular there was a period on Cartoon Network where that quote was always used as commercial bumpers. I guess it just kinda sounds cool and Batman doesn't really have a ton of other catchphrases besides like "I'm Batman"

Incredible Member

In one draft of Batman '89 when Batman is holding that punk thief over the ledge the original line was "I am the night" which is actually used in the comic book adaptation. The popular line "I'm Batman" was a last minute on-set change.

As for "I am vengeance" I've only heard that from BTAS.

Pretty sure he says it in earth one

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    In one draft of Batman '89 when Batman is holding that punk thief over the ledge the original line was "I am the night" which is actually used in the comic book adaptation. The popular line "I'm Batman" was a last minute on-set change.

As for "I am vengeance" I've only heard that from BTAS.
    That's cool! Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post

Ditto for "I am the night",
    Had never read it, so "I am the night" is a reply to "you don't own the night", ....that's terrific!

...and LOL Ratbreath.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-02-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Incredible Member

Most other comic/movie adaptations are done with subpar creators as a quick cash grab but you can tell the Batman '89 comic adaptation was treated with lots of care and Jerry Ordway just nails all the actors likenesses.

Most other comic/movie adaptations are done with subpar creators as a quick cash grab but you can tell the Batman '89 comic adaptation was treated with lots of care and Jerry Ordway just nails all the actors likenesses.
    Yeah the art is terrific.

Crazy narration of how they got the story and art done, revising pages and scenes as the script and shooting changed, incredible. - https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/tim-bu...e-a-comic-book

I'd heard about the dropped horse sequence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzM20yIpUMA

Although (as I'd never bothered to look at the comic adaptation until you referenced it just now) I had no idea it had that kooky ending with Knox wearing the Bat-cape at the end, allowing Batman to sneak away? . LOL!

Also instead of the moody silhouette perched on the roof, the comic last scene is a little more in your face comic-booky dramatic.

However "...you don't own the night" does forever change how I hear "I am the night".
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-03-2020 at 05:24 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Although (as I'd never bothered to look at the comic adaptation until you referenced it just now) I had no idea it had that kooky ending with Knox wearing the Bat-cape at the end, allowing Batman to sneak away? . LOL!
    Yeah I thought that was just added to the comic adaptation but I guess that was in the early drafts too, it just seems out of place after just witnessing Joker plummet to his death. If the cops were real smart they would have taken hair fibers from the cowl and discovered Batman's ID.

There's another interesting detail that got cut out of the movie but made it into the comic.

The money Joker was throwing out was counterfeit. That's why he had the line earlier about his face on the one dollar bill.