Default The Sentry, what happened to Lemire's run ?

Hey guys, so I think it was in 2018, Lemire made a really nice mini serie of the Sentry. In the end you could see a new version of him in control of both his good side and bad side. It looked like a really cool idea and I couldn't wait to read more on him. Then nothing until I just read Annihilation scourge, which now shows Burt seperated from the sentry or something after Reed sent him in the negative zone to rid himself of the void, which he was finally at peace with...
    So now we are back to the same old crap with Reynolds struggling between good and evil instead of a new fresh take on the character.
    Like, why ? It's the same thing with Dr. Doom after Secret Wars. He was finally a good guy (you know essentially) trying to help for real this time then all a sudden he's back at being a villain, oh yeah with his ugly mug again which was healed...
    Anywho, anyone else is pissed at Marvel of being scared of change and pushing characters forwards ? Finally The Sentry was getting interesting and now we're back 20 years in the past :/

I read that Lemire Sentry book and I personally didn't like him becoming one with The Void. I would love a new fresh take of The Sentry where he has taken the steps to deal with his mental illness and through this has purged himself of The Void. Then you could tell a story of redemption about a guy finally dealing with his issues. I haven't read anything about Sentry since that Lemire run so I didn't know about what's going on now.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

It was originally announced as an on-going, but was later chopped down to a mini because of a poor sales. The storyline was chopped down and rushed as well as result.

Shame. Thought it was really good. I feel like no writer, except Lemire did The sentry justice, yet.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    Hey guys, so I think it was in 2018, Lemire made a really nice mini serie of the Sentry. In the end you could see a new version of him in control of both his good side and bad side. It looked like a really cool idea and I couldn't wait to read more on him. Then nothing until I just read Annihilation scourge, which now shows Burt seperated from the sentry or something after Reed sent him in the negative zone to rid himself of the void, which he was finally at peace with...
    So now we are back to the same old crap with Reynolds struggling between good and evil instead of a new fresh take on the character.
    Like, why ? It's the same thing with Dr. Doom after Secret Wars. He was finally a good guy (you know essentially) trying to help for real this time then all a sudden he's back at being a villain, oh yeah with his ugly mug again which was healed...
    Anywho, anyone else is pissed at Marvel of being scared of change and pushing characters forwards ? Finally The Sentry was getting interesting and now we're back 20 years in the past :/
    It's pretty much Marvel's unwritten rule that noble OP characters have to be permanently broken in some way. It's why Jean never really stays the Phoenix, Galactus never stayed the Lifebringer, and yes, the Sentry never stays merged and reconciled with the Void. It's a rock that different writers will take turns pushing up the mountain only to have another writer have it come tumbling down again.

Fantastic Member

While I enjoyed Lemire's run, it was immediately out back in the box after that brief, one-issue appearance in Agents of Wakanda, along with Annihilation Scourge.

I was very disappointed with both.

If I were a Scarlet Witch fan, I imagine I'd feel the same way, circa Disassembled & HoM; as a sufferer of certain mental conditions not too dissimilar to Rob Reynolds, I always root for him to be okay. It seems to be in vogue that a mentally ill superhero is immediately written as a danger to themselves and others.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    as a sufferer of certain mental conditions not too dissimilar to Rob Reynolds, I always root for him to be okay. It seems to be in vogue that a mentally ill superhero is immediately written as a danger to themselves and others.
    It really is and that is a shame. There's lots of good storytelling that could be done with the character, there's a decent redemption arc in there somewhere.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Annihilation Scourge was a bit of a slap in the face to Lemires work and past Annihilation event. I don’t know if it was an editorial mandate or something but they really dropped the ball with that.

A shame Lemires run wasn’t an ongoing or didn’t get a follow up mini.

Has Sentry appeared since then?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Has Sentry appeared since then?
    As far as I know, Sentry remains in the Negative Zone. Maybe that is to ensure that Bob doesn't impact any of the upcoming events like the Knull/King in Black extravaganza?