Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Default What elements from Bendis' LOSH run do you think will last long-term?

I've been reading Bendis' run on the LOSH and I can't help but to think that many of his ideas won't stand the test of time. Some of them might though. Which ideas do you think will last and which wont?

Bendis' take on Mon-El can't last from my point of view. I think his set up for the United Planets will though. I'm on the fence about Jon's relationship with the Legion. I don't think this will last long term and eventually they'll go back to having Superman being a member of the Legion in his youth, but one idea doesn't preclude the other.

What do you all think?

Astonishing Member

Racial diversity and probably nothing else.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The racial diversity, maybe some of the character designs (I never thought those were as bad as a lot of other did). Nothing in regards to the actual basis of the lore though. The entire foundation is based on the premise of Jon becoming Superman. Once that goes the way of the dodo, so does this entire run.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-25-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Nothing. The minute Bendis leaves the book pretty much everything he came up with will be retconned away.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    Bendis' take on Mon-El can't last from my point of view.
    I disagree. I think it's maybe the first take on Mon-El that doesn't leave the average Joe or Jane with the need for clarification.

I'll always remember Legion of Super-Heroes (cartoon) creator James Tucker explaining how he tried to explain Mon-El to his producer, and she had a blank look or her face. The inability for Mon-El to be elevator pitched to a an average person is what made Tucker create SupermanX for the show. With classic Mon it's like, "So he's Superman's brother? Got it", "well, no. Actually he's not even related to Superman, or even from the same race." "But...he looks like Superman, has his powers, and is an alien. Why wouldn't he be both related to Superman and from his same race?? A Daxa-what? What the hell is that?" That's not even getting into the fact that the name he's most famous for is literally Mon-El.

Being able to just say "he's Superman's descendant from New Krypton in the 31st century" is just so much more accessible to the average person. It's also super adaptable.

For me, it's like making Conner Kent a clone of Superman (and Lex) rather than the roundabout "well, he's not really a clone of Superman...." idea from the 90s (that certainly had its charm). If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck, I'd rather it just be a duck, ya know?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I disagree. I think it's maybe the first take on Mon-El that doesn't leave the average Joe or Jane with the need for clarification.

I'll always remember Legion of Super-Heroes (cartoon) creator James Tucker explaining how he tried to explain Mon-El to his producer, and she had a blank look or her face. The inability for Mon-El to be elevator pitched to a an average person is what made Tucker create SupermanX for the show. With classic Mon it's like, "So he's Superman's brother? Got it", "well, no. Actually he's not even related to Superman, or even from the same race." "But...he looks like Superman, has his powers, and is an alien. Why wouldn't he be both related to Superman and from his same race?? A Daxa-what? What the hell is that?" That's not even getting into the fact that the name he's most famous for is literally Mon-El.

Being able to just say "he's Superman's descendant from New Krypton in the 31st century" is just so much more accessible to the average person. It's also super adaptable.

For me, it's like making Conner Kent a clone of Superman (and Lex) rather than the roundabout "well, he's not really a clone of Superman...." idea from the 90s (that certainly had its charm). If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck, I'd rather it just be a duck, ya know?
    I can see that point of view. I don't think it'll last if they still want to use Daxamites though since it takes away the most recognizable Daxamite. Replacing Daxam with New Krypton isn't a move I think they'll want to make.

Your point does have merit though

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I can see that point of view. I don't think it'll last if they still want to use Daxamites though since it takes away the most recognizable Daxamite. Replacing Daxam with New Krypton isn't a move I think they'll want to make.
    Why use Daxamites when you can use New Kryptonians in the past or 31st century founded by the most famous and recognizable Kryptonian Superman foe?

"Oh, so the bad guy from Man of Steel makes a New Krypton and it lasts into the 31st century? Got it"

Daxamites, like the story of classic Mon-El, is the risk of a blank stare from an average Joe or Jane because you have to explain the Not-Kryptonians to them, what they've been doing this whole time, and why they can't just be Kryptonians.

Like, just think of this, you're pitching the Great Darkness Saga as a movie to Joe or Jane studio executive, and you get to The Part. Darkseid takes control of a whole planet of....Daxamites. No matter what, you're gonna have to stop and explain, and hope you haven't lost them. But just replace that with "31st century Kryptonians". You don't need to explain sh!t. Joe or Jane can be trusted to at least get that, and the hype goes up.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-26-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Probably a more racially diverse Legion, although maybe in different ways than Bendis did it.

I don't see most of the redesigns catching on.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

You may as well be there Superboards own ambassador for the Legion at this point. Well-stated and I agree.

Some things will stick (diversity, some designs, likely the Mon-El retcon). Others won't (not loving his take on Cosmic Boy thus far). I really don't want Planet Gotham to remain a thing and I've yet to be sold that we needed Doctor Fate or Lanterns. Part of what made the 31st century special was their absence made it unique, you know?

Also, my typo made me realize that if we ever meet Mon's parents, or some Legionnaire that isn't Brainy gets to meet Lois, one of their mothers should get called "Mom-El."

I'll see myself out. Long live the Legion.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Hopefully not much beyond the diversity of the team.

LoSH needs a hard sci fi take, something in the vein of Giffen's work on the concept. The extreme connections to Superman, and the more outright superhero-y stuff is not where it's at.

I mean there can be elements of that at play, but the larger context of the characters and the narrative thrust should be a totally different beast. More TNG with it, and less 'space fantasy'.

Of course all this could just be built on top of the current thing. So, yeah Long live the Legion and let's get ideological and sci fi-y to the max!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-26-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Aren't racial diverse teams (asides of some exceptions like big 7) pretty much a default now? I wouldn't exactly mention it as a "Bendis legacy".

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Aren't racial diverse teams (asides of some exceptions like big 7) pretty much a default now? I wouldn't exactly mention it as a "Bendis legacy".
    Given that he went out of his way to exclude the various racially diverse Legionnaires that already existed (Tyroc, Karate Kid 2, Dragonwing, Harmonia Li, Glorith, Chemical Kid, Kid Quantum 2, Dragonmage, GEAR, etc., etc.) only to paint a new color on some of the previously white Legionnaires, I don't expect that to last, at all.

The Legion already had a bunch of diverse characters. Except for Dawnstar and Invisible Kid 2, he got rid of most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Hopefully not much beyond the diversity of the team.

LoSH needs a hard sci fi take, something in the vein of Giffen's work on the concept. The extreme connections to Superman, and the more outright superhero-y stuff is not where it's at.

I mean there can be elements of that at play, but the larger context of the characters and the narrative thrust should be a totally different beast. More TNG with it, and less 'space fantasy'.

Of course all this could just be built on top of the current thing. So, yeah Long live the Legion and let's get ideological and sci fi-y to the max!
    I thought the best Legion stuff were the ones that matched the hard sci-fi nature with the fun and colorfullness of Superheroics.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

In regard to Mon-El, why not have Daxamite just be a sister planet to Krypton? You can set it up as the Romulan to Vulcan, and easily make Mon-El related to Superman via a sibling to Jor-El who lived there or was off planet when Krypton went boom.

I highly doubt Jon will stay on. More people will know about him via YJ as a kid, and Damian's friend. If anything it may just revert to Mon-El being in his place.