Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hopefully, none.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Why use Daxamites when you can use New Kryptonians in the past or 31st century founded by the most famous and recognizable Kryptonian Superman foe?

"Oh, so the bad guy from Man of Steel makes a New Krypton and it lasts into the 31st century? Got it"

Daxamites, like the story of classic Mon-El, is the risk of a blank stare from an average Joe or Jane because you have to explain the Not-Kryptonians to them, what they've been doing this whole time, and why they can't just be Kryptonians.

Like, just think of this, you're pitching the Great Darkness Saga as a movie to Joe or Jane studio executive, and you get to The Part. Darkseid takes control of a whole planet of....Daxamites. No matter what, you're gonna have to stop and explain, and hope you haven't lost them. But just replace that with "31st century Kryptonians". You don't need to explain sh!t. Joe or Jane can be trusted to at least get that, and the hype goes up.
    You could end up having to explain in either case. Upon hearing "...31st century Kryptonians" an exec could respond with: "Hold on. I thought Krypton exploded and that's why Superman ended up on Earth?" I think it's just as easy to say "Darkseid takes control of an entire planet, Daxam, where the people have the same powers as Superman".

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    You could end up having to explain in either case. Upon hearing "...31st century Kryptonians" an exec could respond with: "Hold on. I thought Krypton exploded and that's why Superman ended up on Earth?" I think it's just as easy to say "Darkseid takes control of an entire planet, Daxam, where the people have the same powers as Superman".
    But it's still far less questions, and makes better use of what the average person knows. They ask how is there a New Krypton? You go "you know Zod? Bad Superman? Eventually he kind of chills out and repopulates over a thousand years."

Plus, a lot of it comes down to simple name recognition. You say "31st century Kryptonians" and you simply don't need to say any more to establish the stakes to literally anyone. You say "Daxam, where the people have the same powers as Superman" the first thing someone asks is "wait, what? How?" Then you've gotta say "well, they're a sister race to Kryptonians" And then they go "well, where have they been? Why didn't Jor-El send Superman there? Why don't they help solve like ALL the problems ALL the time?" And at some point you're giving a Daxamite history lesson just to hit your mark of hype again.

You don't get that with New Krypton. "Why didn't they solve everything back then?" Zod was still a dick and hadn't chilled out. "Why didn't Jor-El send Clark there?" Wasn't around.

It's framed as an outgrowth of what Superman starts on a thousand year timescale. It's flagship being a direct decadent of Jon (thus Clark) further cements the idea as just simple math for literally anyone.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If your going to do a New Krypton the easiest way is just say at some point in the future Superman was finally able to restore Kandor on some new world. There is no way Zod could repopulate a whole planet with just him and his wife. That society would be so inbred after just a few generations the whole thing would collapse in on itself.

Daxam was never the hard to figure out. It is a world populated by a race a lot like Kyrptonians (an offshot of them even in some continuiteys) only there weakness is one of the most common elements Lead instead of super rare which is why most never leave their home planet. They are also sort of xenophobic about other races which even further makes them isolate themselves.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Since they're supposed to be 32nd century, maybe they can retcon this Legion as a future generation that came after the original generation.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Since they're supposed to be 32nd century, maybe they can retcon this Legion as a future generation that came after the original generation.
    That should have been the case from the start.

I hope the retroboot version can return someday. It's by far the most viable version. It has history, recognizable versions of all main characters and can be pretty new-reader friendly as their reintroduction in Johns' Action Comics run showed.
    They just need an exciting new take, not yet another complete reboot that alienates the fanbase while failing to attract new audiences.

none please.

Like someone said. if it was suppose to be the nexxt generation of LSH i would have try to roll with it. everybody would have been happy. nut this ? nope. no thank you

I hope the racial diversity lasts. But this thread makes me realize how changeable continuity is now. It makes me long for continuity to last until a major reboot, say 20-30 years rather than until the next writer.
    Power with Girl is better.

I hope most of it remains, especially the fact that it isn't a new generation Legion. It'd undermine it completely and gave haters even more ammunition to snipe at it because "Original Saturn Girl would have already solved this issue!" or "Seeing Cosmic Boy acting like that proves why his father is the only real one!"

Get real people. Nostalgia fanatics won't get on board with this book no matter what. If Bendis had tried something as pathetic as "they are totally the kids of the original Legion" I wouldn't even had given that book the time of the day because nothing would make sense and peoples would be clamoring for the "originals" having a book, not the kids.

Stop deluding yourselves, seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I hope most of it remains, especially the fact that it isn't a new generation Legion. It'd undermine it completely and gave haters even more ammunition to snipe at it because "Original Saturn Girl would have already solved this issue!" or "Seeing Cosmic Boy acting like that proves why his father is the only real one!"

Get real people. Nostalgia fanatics won't get on board with this book no matter what. If Bendis had tried something as pathetic as "they are totally the kids of the original Legion" I wouldn't even had given that book the time of the day because nothing would make sense and peoples would be clamoring for the "originals" having a book, not the kids.

Yeah, as I said previously, I'm reading both the earliest Legion stuff and this. The early stuff is fun but a group of young people or any people are going to have some conflict and flaws. As it is, instead of people saying Cosmic Boy's father was the only real CB, you'll just get people saying the "real" Cosmic Boy would never act like this.

Interestingly, the reaction to the new Legion seems to be very negative on this thread but very positive on the other Legion thread.
    Power with Girl is better.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Just some of the changes seem pointless, why remove Clark's influence from the Legion since that was one of the factors that hurt the titles sales to begin with due to the change of continuity they had to go through especially since other media works since still used Clark as the inspiration behind the Legion even without the Superboy identity. Also why change Lightning Lad's skin color, that's just another pointless change especially since there are other legion members who are dark skinned and finally why change Mon-El's backstory and race especially Mon-El being from Daxam is used in the Supergirl tv series. Bendis is just doing some really pointless changes to the status quo without rhyme or reason like he did back in Marvel that left a negative impact over there.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

I agree with you on the nostalgia. That's what happened with the last two runs by Levitz. He used a version of the team as close to the classic continuity as possible and people still complained it wasn't their Legion. Plus both runs were kinda boring which meant they weren't pulling in new readers either. I don't love everything Bendis and Sook are doing but I haven't been this interested in the Legion in decades. As soon as I finish an issue I want to read the next issue. I haven't felt like that about a Legion title since the launch of Legionnaires back in the day with Chris Sprouse on the art chores.

It'S not about nostalgia it's about shitting on characters.

You dont like a characters ? create new ones. We see that every month in comics. or if you are lazy use a name a create a new character for it. You dont have to take old characters and change them ''for the new generation''

Leave the old characters in limbo till someone use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    It'S not about nostalgia it's about shitting on characters.

You dont like a characters ? create new ones. We see that every month in comics. or if you are lazy use a name a create a new character for it. You dont have to take old characters and change them ''for the new generation''

Leave the old characters in limbo till someone use them again.
    Thank God that's wasn't the thinking when DC launched their updated versions of the Flash, Green Lantern, etc in the Silver Age.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Thank God that's wasn't the thinking when DC launched their updated versions of the Flash, Green Lantern, etc in the Silver Age.
    You are crying about people living in nostalgia and you use Golden age characters as a example ? okayyyyyyy

Anyway what did they do ? the use the super-heroes names and created NEW characters.

THey didnt say: look! Here Alan Scott now. Everything you know about him is wrong. Get used to it.