Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Horror easily fits into the Aquaman mythos though. Isn’t the sequel suppose to include more horror elements according to Wan. You have stuff like the Trench and one of the greatest one off Aquaman stories which is Night Gods where Aquaman teamed up with the JLD often time member Etrigan. The lovecraftian stuff works for the character.
    Also fits to Wonder Woman and even more so Raven, both also bring fitting villains in, Shazam is really the only of the bigger magic characters i have a hard time seeing in something horror-related.

But i think Hawkman is really just too sci fi-related for the most people, and DC probably didn't even think about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    That's kinda my point, DC pretty much locked him into being sci-fi/action genre with the introduction of the Thanagarians way back when and most people more or less automatically associate Hawkman with that in general in part because of the DCAU. And it's not like anyone at DC has really done anything to change that perception, even in the current run the vast majority of Carter's past lives that have been explored have been the ones on advanced civilizations. The mysticism and mystique has been ground out to make way for more sci-fi settings and it feels like a wasted opportunity as far as I'm concerned. Hell even steering him closer to a pulp noir setting would be closer to a more fantastical than he presently is.

Honestly Shazam is another one I'm kinda sorta surprised didn't make the transition to Justice League Dark, and really anyone from Aquaman's immediate camp probably could have worked out too given how heavily magic plays into his mythos. If they didn't keep locking her in the Titans I would also say Raven.
    Justice League Dark isn't a just a magic-based team, it's a title focusing on the horror aspect of magic which Aquaman and Shazam generally don't deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Justice League Dark isn't a just a magic-based team, it's a title focusing on the horror aspect of magic which Aquaman and Shazam generally don't deal with.
    Aquaman deals with horrors in the sea such as The Trench and The Thirst also Atlantis is the epicentre of Earth's magic, he (or Garth) could fit well in JLD.

Hawkman despite his theme of reincarnation and his possession of nth metal he seems to be more of a sci-fi related character would not be opposed to him joining the JLD, he's an explorer of the ancient and the unknown. I am surprised that they never put Raven into JLD she fits perfectly in a team of magically-inclined misfits I would love to see an interaction with Constantine, Zatanna and/or Jason Blood/The Demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    Aquaman deals with horrors in the sea such as The Trench and The Thirst also Atlantis is the epicentre of Earth's magic, he (or Garth) could fit well in JLD.

Hawkman despite his theme of reincarnation and his possession of nth metal he seems to be more of a sci-fi related character would not be opposed to him joining the JLD, he's an explorer of the ancient and the unknown. I am surprised that they never put Raven into JLD she fits perfectly in a team of magically-inclined misfits I would love to see an interaction with Constantine, Zatanna and/or Jason Blood/The Demon.
    Isn't there a Brave and the Bold issue where Aquaman teams with Etrigan to vanquish Kthulu?

I feel that unfortunately Raven is "stuck" with Titans/Teen Titans. I would to see Raven be a part of JLD.

The current Hawkman series had Madame Xanadu as a supporting character for a couple of arcs, she and Hawkman go way back, he would even call her Nimue. Hawkman could have history with Etrigan, Nabu, The Shade and many others.

The Thirst and the Trench don't appear often. In fact, I don't think the Thirst has been seen since pre-Flashpoint. And as I said, it's a horror title, so being a magic based character alone won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    But i think Hawkman is really just too sci fi-related for the most people, and DC probably didn't even think about him.
    The funny thing is, Man-Bat was always a "scientific" character. Kirk Langstrom was a brilliant (but imperfect...) scientist who created a serum for what he thought was good purposes, but which had the side effect of turning him into a raging man/bat hybrid. I think they moved him into JLD because he looks like something out of a horror movie, but it's not a natural fit.

(You could say similar things about the Swamp Thing, but once you got the Parliament of Trees involved, he went full mystical.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The current Hawkman series had Madame Xanadu as a supporting character for a couple of arcs, she and Hawkman go way back, he would even call her Nimue. Hawkman could have history with Etrigan, Nabu, The Shade and many others.
    Cool, I did not know that. Might check it out heard the series was good. Like the idea that he have history with Etrigan and many other long-lived and immortal beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    The funny thing is, Man-Bat was always a "scientific" character. Kirk Langstrom was a brilliant (but imperfect...) scientist who created a serum for what he thought was good purposes, but which had the side effect of turning him into a raging man/bat hybrid. I think they moved him into JLD because he looks like something out of a horror movie, but it's not a natural fit.

(You could say similar things about the Swamp Thing, but once you got the Parliament of Trees involved, he went full mystical.)
    I like how Man-Bat fit the aesthetic of JLD but as someone of scientific origin, he also turned out to be a great audience pov character on the supernatural stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I agree, there is something to be said about the magical subgenres at DC. how would you divvy up the magic sub-catergories in the DC universe?
    Probably something like this:

The Pantheons: The Greek Gods, the Egyptian Gods, the gods from Norse mythology and every folklore both from earth and beyond. I would include any Gods that the Martians, Thangarians or Tamaraneans worship.

The Champions: Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Black Adam, Dr. Fate, Spectre. Humans empowered by the Gods to carry out their will. Raven would be included in this too but as a subversion.

The Freaks of Nature: Swamp Thing, Etrigan, Phantom Stranger, Klarion the Witch Boy, Blue Devil, Enchantress. They don't represent nor answer to any higher power. They have more free will than the champions but they are also more disturbed depending on their origin. Phantom Stranger's origin is a mystery but he acts more like the people in this group. They got their abilities either through accident or punishment or misuse of their abilities. I think the current Hawks would fit into this category as well. So does Detective Chimp.

The Homo Magi: Accounts for the characters born with magical abilities. They are the 'regular' people of this world. Zatanna, Dr. Occult, Mr. E, Constantine, Sargon the Sorcerer, Baron Winters, Eve Eden/Nightshade all fall into this category. Some of them have raw magical power which they use to concoct a variety of spells, for others like Nightshade, Black Alice and Mr. E, their power manifests as specific powers.

The Hidden Ones: Accounts for all the hidden magical societies in the DCU from people who share similar abilities hiding from the rest of the world (Land of Nightshade), divinely empowered and protected people (the Amazons and the Atlantians) or just small clubs of vampires, werewolves, witches and other supernatural beings.

I mean, if you think about it, JLD is doing itself a disservice by pigeon holing themselves into supernatural/horror side of the world. The DC magic world is too rich and diverse for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post

Andrew Bennett always felt like he would be a good fit for the team. I enjoyed him when he was on it previously, but always just as a guest spot rather than a permanent member. I felt he deserved the spot more than ManBat