Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

JLD is still a very recent thing, in terms of comic book history and usually more associated with darker, occult characters and characters who could be made to fit into that mold like Zatanna for instance.

How long did it take for Wonder Woman to join JLD? I'm just saying, there is a whole bunch of magic based characters whom we don't really think of 'magic' even though they are like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Hawks, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Black Adam, etc. Even Raven, who fits the JLD aesthetic, has very minimal involvement with the team. It lends credence to my idea that even magic has sub categories.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    JLD is still a very recent thing, in terms of comic book history and usually more associated with darker, occult characters and characters who could be made to fit into that mold like Zatanna for instance.

How long did it take for Wonder Woman to join JLD? I'm just saying, there is a whole bunch of magic based characters whom we don't really think of 'magic' even though they are like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Hawks, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Black Adam, etc. Even Raven, who fits the JLD aesthetic, has very minimal involvement with the team. It lends credence to my idea that even magic has sub categories.
    I agree, there is something to be said about the magical subgenres at DC. how would you divvy up the magic sub-catergories in the DC universe?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Hawkman's more of a sci-fi character than a magic one. Didn't they explain away the reincarnation with Nth Metal, too?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I agree, there is something to be said about the magical subgenres at DC. how would you divvy up the magic sub-catergories in the DC universe?
    I think there is more or less clear divide between the more fantasy-oriented beings (WW, Aquaman, Shazam, Amethyst etc) and the more horror-oriented types (Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Constantine etc).
    JLD usually focuses way more on the horror side.
    Their "fantasy" heroes aren't as associated with dark or disturbing elements and instead focus more on fantastical quests/adventures and mythological elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think there is more or less clear divide between the more fantasy-oriented beings (WW, Aquaman, Shazam, Amethyst etc) and the more horror-oriented types (Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Constantine etc).
    Their "fantasy" heroes aren't as associated with dark or disturbing elements and instead focus more on fantastical quests/adventures and mythological elements.
    Then you have characters like Zatanna who straddle the line depending on the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Then you have characters like Zatanna who straddle the line depending on the story.
    Exactly. I think Doctor Fate is also one of these. It would actually be cool to see a JLD arc focusing on these two sides of the same coin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Horror easily fits into the Aquaman mythos though. Isn’t the sequel suppose to include more horror elements according to Wan. You have stuff like the Trench and one of the greatest one off Aquaman stories which is Night Gods where Aquaman teamed up with the JLD often time member Etrigan. The lovecraftian stuff works for the character.

BANNED

In regards to the thread I feel like Hawkman could easily fit into the JLD given a lot of what was said in the OP he could use one of his past lives if not several to assist in anything mythical or magical. He’s a archaeologists finding and understanding ancient artifacts are up in his alley and he has a weapon that disrupts magic so it would come in handy against magical threats.

Look at the DCAU and Hawkgirl having to be the one to put down Grundy

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Aquaman is cool but having Mera or Garth would be a better fit I feel. Both have trained in mystic arts of Atlantis, haven't they ?
    As far as I’m aware the only time Mera’s abilities have been explained as magic were in Young Justice and she’s not really the character to understand the workings of magic. Like say Garth or Arion or even Atlan.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 08-26-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Horror easily fits into the Aquaman mythos though. Isn’t the sequel suppose to include more horror elements according to Wan. You have stuff like the Trench and one of the greatest one off Aquaman stories which is Night Gods where Aquaman teamed up with the JLD often time member Etrigan. The lovecraftian stuff works for the character.
    It can fit, sure. But it's not the most frequent take on the character. But I agree there's potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    In regards to the thread I feel like Hawkman could easily fit into the JLD given a lot of what was said in the OP he could use one of his past lives if not several to assist in anything mythical or magical. He’s a archaeologists finding and understanding ancient artifacts are up in his alley and he has a weapon that disrupts magic so it would come in handy against magical threats.

Look at the DCAU and Hawkgirl having to be the one to put down Grundy

As far as I’m aware the only time Mera’s abilities have been explained as magic were in Young Justice and she’s not really the character to understand the workings of magic. Like say Garth or Arion or even Atlan.
    I thought Mera had some training during the Abnett run. My mistake, but I love Mera and would love if she got a power boost in magic. Especially since the lore is already there

Hawkman's more of a sci-fi character than a magic one. Didn't they explain away the reincarnation with Nth Metal, too?
    Not anymore, Venditti made so that the reincarnation is now a punishment to Hawkman, for the billions of beings he and his army have killed and slaved in his first life. He was condemned to reincarnate until he have saved as many people as he have killed.

Mighty Member

Well I suppose he would come in handy in the fact that his 9th metal mace has the ability to nullify magic, but to my knowledge the Thangarian metal is non magical.

Personally though, I think Hawkman is too much of a physical smash and punch hero without any magical powers. I prefer the JLD to be made up of magical spellcasters like Zatanna, Constantine, Dr. Occult ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Not anymore, Venditti made so that the reincarnation is now a punishment to Hawkman, for the billions of beings he and his army have killed and slaved in his first life. He was condemned to reincarnate until he have saved as many people as he have killed.
    Huh. I kind of prefer the more romantic take on it...

I can't say much more without spoiling it, but imo, Venditti's take on it was romantic, from the reason Hawkman changed in the first place, to the moment we discover why Shayera was also reincarnating two issues ago. The best part, is that they chosed their destiny.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's in there, but it's hard to discuss without spoiling much. I'd say give Hawkman a read if you get the chance. It's been great.