Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Um....didn't Manhattan himself say Superman could beat him? I mean, didn't he see a future....where he couldn't see anything, implying that Superman killed him in that future? I'm a bit confused on that one, haven't followed it too closely.

In any event, since Superman's powers are magic, and so are Manhattan's; if the story needs it to happen, it will. Suddenly, Superman will find a heretofore unknown reserve of power and goodness within and beat Manhattan or something like that.
    no, it's actually sillier, he didn't see beyond that point because after Superman saves him from a villain (that can't hurt him) Dr. Manhattan was so moved that he restarted the universe, raise a mini Manhattan named for Superman, and then dissipated himself; he only ASSUMED Superman would kill him. I think they were trying to imply he couldn't see because he was raising and giving his powers to "Clark" (you know, that child that he stole) so that made him not able to see, but it wasn't because Superman was able to actually hurt him.

you can say that in any story or character, no? Duke Thomas' powers are effectively magic (at least about as magical as Superman's), if the story needed to happen we'll see him have an until now unknown level of power to fight Superman. iunno, it just seems like a cop out answer when people go "It's Superman, if they need him to do something he'll do it" when talking about him facing other character; that's a trope not a mark of his power.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    no, it's actually sillier, he didn't see beyond that point because after Superman saves him from a villain (that can't hurt him) Dr. Manhattan was so moved that he restarted the universe, raise a mini Manhattan named for Superman, and then dissipated himself; he only ASSUMED Superman would kill him. I think they were trying to imply he couldn't see because he was raising and giving his powers to "Clark" (you know, that child that he stole) so that made him not able to see, but it wasn't because Superman was able to actually hurt him.

you can say that in any story or character, no? Duke Thomas' powers are effectively magic (at least about as magical as Superman's), if the story needed to happen we'll see him have an until now unknown level of power to fight Superman. iunno, it just seems like a cop out answer when people go "It's Superman, if they need him to do something he'll do it" when talking about him facing other character; that's a trope not a mark of his power.
    That brings a really intresting question, why couldn't Manhattan see past that point?

Is it because of his way of thinking, or was it just because he was in another universe?

BTW: Where was that quote from Proffesor X in your signiture from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    That brings a really intresting question, why couldn't Manhattan see past that point?

Is it because of his way of thinking, or was it just because he was in another universe?

BTW: Where was that quote from Proffesor X in your signiture from?
    oh, the quote isn't from Professor X (the color scheme and spacing does suggest that, huh?), I just like the quote. I should fix that.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Spectacular Member

oh, the quote isn't from Professor X (the color scheme and spacing does suggest that, huh?), I just like the quote. I should fix that.
    I meant this quote:

Who said it and were is it from?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

On the contrary, if it was started by Superman its not a troupe its just a trait. It only becomes a troupe when others started doing. If superman wasn't doing that shit, you would still be reading about a guy who leaps 1\8th a mile, faster than a locomotive,.. Etc. The fact that you don't means that superman has been powering up, up and away his entire career. Its what he does.

Extraordinary Member

The only argument you can maybe make is that Superman could out speed Dr. Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    I meant this quote:

Who said it and were is it from?
    oh, well the quote is from Robert Caro, I believe it was in a book about Linden B Johnson. I heard it from a Lindsay Ellis video tho.

currently following: