Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Betsy was fearless and bold before the body switch. The issue where she was finally accepted by the X-men was when she took on Sabretooth. She craved battle and the thing that held her back was that she didnt have a physically offensive power nor the formal fighting training. She got the armor costume to give her more defense so she could jump into battle and worry less about injury. She also showed no problem with killing as she suggested the X-men kill Havok when he walked in on one of their secret meetings. She tortured the Genoshans and the only reason she didnt kill them is bc that would have been too easy. She got close though and had to be stopped by Colossus who was horrified with her brutality. Which is why her initial switch as written by Claremont did not feel too jarring from the direction he was taking her anyway
    Exactly this!
    A picture would last longer darling...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    what is his background? I'm not familiar with the character. is he related to sabretooth?
    He was a Canadian mutant, part of the Alpha Flight training team of rookies, called Beta Flight (IIRC), and later part of a villain team, Omega Flight. He was feral, with claws and senses and animalistic instincts, but none of the super-regeneration or metal skeleton business of Sabertooth (or the muscle mass, for that matter, always being scrawny, but reasonably wiry for his size).

He got more showing in the Age of Apocalypse as a junior partner to the heroic Sabertooth of that era, and seemed sort of like a 'mini-me' to Creed, following him around like a puppy.

He might have been retconned to have full Sabertooth-level regeneration now (he could only originally heal a few times faster than a human, so that a bruise would clear up in a day or so), since everyone seems to get it eventually. (Sabertooth, when first introduced, didn't regenerate, for instance. He even had a lasting scar from ripping some of Spider-Man's webbing off of his face with his super-strength, which was his power back then, and it persisted for several appearances before he became an X-character and suddenly was really old and could regenerate.)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-07-2020 at 01:40 AM.

All characters with "a slight healing factor" have ended up being Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    All characters with "a slight healing factor" have ended up being Deadpool.
    Remember the times when heavy attacks on Wolverine would "damn near" kill him and he'd need time to recover, and now you can pretty much vaporize all of him and he'll still grow back from just his bollocks? At least outer space still kills him in House Of X.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Remember the times when heavy attacks on Wolverine would "damn near" kill him and he'd need time to recover, and now you can pretty much vaporize all of him and he'll still grow back from just his bollocks? At least outer space still kills him in House Of X.
    Characters with healing factors tend to have that aspect played up so much it almost becomes their only aspect. Writers can abuse them for comedy & have them recover from it.

I think the Adamantium was supposed to handicap Wolverine's healing factor, but that aspect didn't stick around.

Then Deadpool & Jobbertooth have had their skills totally nerfed in favor of the healing factor. Nowadays neither has any real skills outside of taking damage. Deadpool isn't quite as bad in this regard, but it happens.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Characters with healing factors tend to have that aspect played up so much it almost becomes their only aspect. Writers can abuse them for comedy & have them recover from it.

I think the Adamantium was supposed to handicap Wolverine's healing factor, but that aspect didn't stick around.

Then Deadpool & Jobbertooth have had their skills totally nerfed in favor of the healing factor. Nowadays neither has any real skills outside of taking damage. Deadpool isn't quite as bad in this regard, but it happens.
    Deadpool has a bit of an advantage in that his injuries are played for laughs a lot of the time, which many writers use to distract from his actual skills, which they then display as suprise or in tandem with his injuries.

However Wolverine indeed suffers from writers apperently feeling the need to constantly make use of his healing factor above his skills. A standard Wolverine fight scene seems to have become this:
    1. Wolverine stupidly jumps or charges at an enemy.
    2. Wolverine gets horribly injured by said enemy.
    3. Wolverine recovers from his injuries. Either because the enemy forgot he can heal or because he recovers quicker than the enemy can attack again.
    4. Wolverine jumps or charges at the enemy this time killing them.

There could be multiple reasons for this having become the norm.
    It could be because of some sense of obligation that they have to give readers or viewers what they expect or want based on previous comics or movies. Which then unfortunately declined into this sad pattern.
    It could be because of the "every comic is someones first comic" mentality. Feeling the need to highlight his two primary powers every issue. Which is also the reason he constantly showcases his claws at every opportunity.
    It could be because of a "wasted tools" mentality. That they are given this character and then not have him display his powers would be a wasted opportunity. Hence following the standard pattern, so they can feel they have made use of their tools before putting them back into the box for the next writers.

Basicly the same reason that Iceman has to do something with his ice powers every issue or Xavier has to talk with someone telepathicly also means that if a character's primary power is to heal from injuries or be immune to some form of damage something will happen every issue that makes them use said powers (or at least remark on it).

However there is also the lazy writing possibilities.
    For example to highlight the danger of a situation and use the character who can't simply die from it, to show just how dangerous it would be for those who can't heal.

This also seems to extended to the X-men as a whole now, because they just get printed out again like The Venture Brothers everytime they die, so writers feel like just offing them to make something look dangerous or powerfull.

I guess Marrow can consider herself lucky that her bone powers overshadow her (logical necessary) modest healing factor. But then again she hardly gets used anyway. So unless a writer needs a random victim in the future, she is safe from needless injuries.
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-07-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Yeah, I remember that classic fight in the sewers under the Hellfire club where he takes a shotgun blast for pretty much the first time ever (having, sensibly, *avoided getting shot* up until that point) and is nearly incapacitated, and spends hours recovering.

These days he just takes ridiculous amounts of damage and keeps on going. No defensive combat skill at all. Image characters were infamous for that as well, back in the eighties, just gratuitous shocking injuries, because they'd just get better, meanwhile, other characters are in the same exact battle and skating through it without a scratch, despite wearing armor bikinis, which is supposed to make the regenerater look 'extreme!1' but just makes him look incompetent at his job of close-in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    This also seems to extended to the X-men as a whole now, because they just get printed out again like The Venture Brothers everytime they die, so writers feel like just offing them to make something look dangerous or powerfull.
    Or for pure comedic value, as Quentin is currently experiencing during his X-Force tenure.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gridde View Post
    Or for pure comedic value, as Quentin is currently experiencing during his X-Force tenure.
    Empath doesn't seem to have a particular bright future ahead either.

But yeah that's why Venture Brothers came to my mind.

There is still no preview for the fourth issue. I admit that it worries me a little. I really like this book and I don't want the next publication to be delayed for another week

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    There is still no preview for the fourth issue. I admit that it worries me a little. I really like this book and I don't want the next publication to be delayed for another week
    It’s on Diamond’s shipping list for next week. Regardless of when the preview comes out, it’s not being delayed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I'm waiting for the preview as well. Hellions is lot more interesting that most of the other titles.

It was supposed to come out this week but delayed to next week.