Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #11 review *spoilers*

As we saw in the preview, Loa, Anole and Rockslide are trying to act friendly with Summoner by playing with him a game from Arrako, but their meeting gets interrupted by the arrival of massive Cotati spaceships, who are angry at Krakoa after Vulcan wrecked a part of their moon base.

There's two data pages written by Cyclops to the council on Krakoa's war protocols and preparations. The telepaths of the island, Cypher and Krakoa itself have been coordinating to create safe spaces and evacuate the island in cases of attacks. Bishop is leading training on Danger island, but apparently attendance has been low. A section concerning Omega mutants is almost entirely redacted from our view. The most important part of it regarding this issue is that Cyke and other war captains are inforcing the creation of coordinated offensive and defensive actions based on the combinations of different mutant powersets, as inspired by the Five.

The invasion of Krakoa by the Cotati is all told by Exodus as he talks to the same group of children that we saw him warning about the Pretender in issue #7. This is an interesting look at Exodus' actions on Krakoa and the construction of mutant culture. We don't know if this is exactly what happened, but he frames it all as an story about Magneto being the hero of Krakoa and the power of mutants in general.

As he beings to tell his story, we see Magik and Gorgon coming to warn a very naked Magneto while he meditates about the upcoming attack. They tell him the telepaths are already coordinating the evacution and they want him to lead the defenses on the island, since the captains will be joining Cyclops on the moon at the frontlines of the battle. Mags decides to dress himself for the occasion of war, choosing his good ol' red and purple outfit.

The battle scenes allow Hickman to use various mutants like the Cuckoos, Magma and Iceman as they combine their powers to create an eruption, freeze the lava and turn it into something Magneto can use to attack the Cotati. There's a couple of other cameos in the fight like Wolverine, Egg, Black Tom and Toad, who is killed by one of the Cotati.

Magneto finishes the battle by throwing a ton of satellites on the Cotati's war leader, and asking Mindee (or she is Sophie? We just don't know.) to apologize for the governments' that those satelites are from (except the secret monitoring ones they are supposed to not know about). He later joins the battle on the moon alongside Cyke, Jean, Wolverine & others.

Exodus' Mags fanfic seems to please the children, as they all chant his (mutant) name in the end.

---

This was a good issue. I like how Hickman basically used these tie-ins to improve on the worldbuilding of Krakoa and continue some of his plot threads - Vulcan's double personality, Exodus indocrinating the mutant children... Yu's art also was a great fit for this issue. And for naked Magneto, obviously.

I also enjoy how DoX's writing of the Cuckoos consistently has them fucking with people for their own amusement.

Next, X of Swords...

Default X-men #11 - Empyre Tie-In : Super Mutant Combinations!

The X-kids walk up on Summoner who wants to play a game with them. He describes it as a trial that is about weakness. He asks them that once they stat, they must complete it till its end. As they start the Cotati start to drop from the air

Next is a data page for the council from Cyclops. He makes notes about recent incursions of Krakoan space, mutant training that Bishop has been cataloging and Money being consulted for X-Corp stuff. There is a blacked out entry about the Omega mutants. Finally there is an entry about enhanced combat technique which is about conjoining powers. Magneto was an example of integrating his power with 3 or fewer mutants with complementary powers for 40 useful combinations. 28 offensive, 12 defensive. Bishop will preside over the first war college

The next day Exodus is talking to some kids nad mentions that mutants died (Im assuming the New X-men). One kid says he isnt afraid bc he knows they are coming back. The kids dont feat death, but rather men.

Magik and Gorgon interupt Magneto in his quarters. They let him know about the Cotati incursion. The children and noncombatants are being placed in a bunker for safety. Cyclops must stay in space since thats where it started and Magik and the other captains are joining him so she is leaving Krakoa in Magneto's hands.

He puts on his red costume and slaughters the aliens. He is joined by Sophie Cuckoo who connects him to Sage who says they need to locate Iceman and Magma. Magma mentions there is a dormant volcano 12 miles away and blows it up on Magneto's orders. Iceman then takes the 20 tons of magma that has erupted and cools it down. This combination gives Magneto metal to work with and he obliterates the Cotati

Toad is seen being killed by a Cotati and is confronted by Magneto who lets him know that he has already won and drops a satelite on him. He tells Mindee to apologize to Sage for stealing that. Exodus is with the kids and asks them what is their hero's name and they chant Magneto. Finally scene is the space battle

Last edited by Havok83; 08-26-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Sigh. When will people learn. Leave mutants alone
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Forcefields for everyone! sallyblevins's Avatar

I really like the issue. Love that Hickman use a powerhouse like Magma. Finally
    Also don’t like the error of Yu with Goldballs in the front line fighting. The Five should be protected all the time
    Last edited by sallyblevins; 08-26-2020 at 08:38 AM.

I really dug this issue. Yu's art was good here.

I wish Hickman would have Exodus do more than tell stories though. He's an OMEGA, right?

The one thing I do love about Hickman is that he brings in characters that typically arent highlighted. Which I think the other writers should get better incorporating into their books.

Mutants using their powers in tandem was brought up again. We know this is going to come in to play in a big way some day soon.

So next issue is the last issue planned in the Hickman X-Men run, right? He said he had lots of things to set up in the first 12 issues. I wonder what he's going to do after Swords of X.
    Last edited by CGAR; 08-26-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

A good issue, if a bit thin. Magneto apparently spends his free time meditating naked, as one does. I like how easily Mags defeated the bloviating Cotati commander. It was brief, but it was nice to see Hickman acknowledge that Magik and Mags were close. The joke with the Cuckoos was cute. All that speculation about the Summoner and the X-kids and they were barely in it. I had doubts about Yu being given this issue, but he did very well. There were a couple of typos, and Yu accidentally put Cyclops in a background that he shouldn't have been in.

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

I loved loved how Exodus is written so far. I am not familiar with his backstory (except that he is a villain), but I love how he told stories about remembrance and heroism to mutant children. Hickman and Co. are really leaning in to building a society by mutants for mutants and giving us details of establishing a culture through myths.

Sage, Magma, Iceman and the Cuckoos looked great here. I wonder what other combinations the Captain Commanders came up with? Also, my very gay self is thankful for the very naked Magneto in that one page and him donning his red and purple ensemble. Him reimbursing countries for their broken satellites were also a nice touch lol.

Do we know if Loa, Anole and Rockslide survived? I feel like it's implied that they didn't.

Again, I do not trust Summoner one bit. We already know he's in Arakko's side. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I really dug this issue. Yu's art was good here.

I wish Hickman would have Exodus do more than tell stories though. He's an OMEGA, right?

The one thing I do love about Hickman is that he brings in characters that typically arent highlighted. Which I think the other writers should get better incorporating into their books.

Mutants using their powers in tandem was brought up again. We know this is going to come in to play in a big way some day soon.
    I defintely wonder how this is going to inspire the creation of the chimeras

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    . There were a couple of typos, and Yu accidentally put Cyclops in a background that he shouldn't have been in.
    Wow, good catch as I didnt even notice

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

So... White Helmet for general use and Purple and Red Helmet for special combat occasions. I wonder when Magneto wears the black one?

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sensormellow View Post
    I wonder when Magneto wears the black one?
    Private bedroom time with Charles. But seriously, the black look is from his solo, so probably covert murder missions.

Why is Goldballs out there fighting? The Five really shouldnt be placed in combat given how important they are to the success of Krakoa. Like it would have made more sense to have him evacuated with the other mutants, especially since his arent the best for combat anyway

Exodus being Magneto's biggest fanboy is clearly the correct characterization. I liked that they are investigating with power combos but Cotati are boring aliens.

Definitely enjoyed story time with Exodus, though i do really want to see him get in on some action. Can't believe I am going to say this but I'm really gonna miss Yu on art.

Fine issue. Hickman is at his best when he is not writing about heroes.

Just a wallpaper cameo but I loved how Gambit KOed Alien with a Bo at the end. Was happy to see him with others on the last page.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

The xmen are making easy work of the aliens from empyre so why are the avengers having such a hard time?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!