Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

They said this air would be breathable
    Get in, get out again, and no one gets hurt
    Something is pulling me up the hill
    I look down in my red shirt
    I look down in my red shirt

My favorite Xmean. But he never really was taken too seriously in the beginning.

Attached Images Attached Images
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    Why, he's fully clothed! What sort of strip oteka IS this??!

Such a sad way to kill this character.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    Why, he's fully clothed! What sort of strip oteka IS this??!
    STRIPOTEKA is a juxtaposition of the words "Strip" (comics) and "Bibli-oteka" (library), but the funny thing is when I was a kid visiting my relatives in Sweden, they would ask me what would I like for a present from them. I asked for a "Strip", and much like you, they were shocked. I noticed the confusion and tried to explain myself: "you know like "Gigant" (BTW I used to own this exact issue). Their jaws dropped, much to the amusement of my cousin, who knew exactly what I was talking about, and what they were thinking.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

STRIPOTEKA is a juxtaposition of the words "Strip" (comics) and "Bibli-oteka" (library), but the funny thing is when I was a kid visiting my relatives in Sweden, they would ask me what would I like for a present from them. I asked for a "Strip", and much like you, they were shocked. I noticed the confusion and tried to explain myself: "you know like "Gigant" (BTW I used to own this exact issue). Their jaws dropped, much to the amusement of my cousin, who knew exactly what I was talking about, and what they were thinking.
    LOL I figured it was like 'comic strip' but I can't resist some good punnage. Did your relatives ever figure it out or did you just let them suffer in wonderment?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

A big story from the Black Costume era:

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Time ago something even worst happened in the Italian TV: during a reportage about the Japanese culture, a Japanese young woman said in Italian: «He is masked by God Dog»; the young woman was the guide of the Italian journalist and that segment of the reportage was set in a cosplay convention. You should have see the desperation of the journalist, while he was trying to explain (without being rude) why you can't say God Dog when you talk to an Italian audience and at the same time explain to the Italian audience why in Japan you can say that term without being blasphemous and without repeat it!

Couldn't resist. Don't know who that red shirt guy is in the lower right, but he got pwned by someone!

Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-27-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    LOL I figured it was like 'comic strip' but I can't resist some good punnage. Did your relatives ever figure it out or did you just let them suffer in wonderment?
    My cousin told them what was I referring to, and I did end up with lots of Gigant's (they bought whatever they could find on the racks. Unfortunately, I don't have any of them now) plus a beautiful Oversidez softcover B&W interior (Kirby art) Fantastic Four that had the FF #82 cover and collected about 3-5 issues if I remember correctly. I read that book so much it literally fell apart. Few years back I bought the original FF #82, while it was nice to see it in color for the first time, I do miss my B&W version.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Time ago something even worst happened in the Italian TV: during a reportage about the Japanese culture, a Japanese young woman said in Italian: «He is masked by God Dog»; the young woman was the guide of the Italian journalist and that segment of the reportage was set in a cosplay convention. You should have see the desperation of the journalist, while he was trying to explain (without being rude) why you can't say God Dog when you talk to an Italian audience and at the same time explain to the Italian audience why in Japan you can say that term without being blasphemous and without repeat it!
    I can only imagine. Being multi-lingual is a blessing, except when one word gets stuck in your head in a language you are not currently using in a conversation. It jumbles you up to a great embarrassment.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Let the bickering start as to what a "lesser" character is. She's wearing a red cape anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Let the bickering start as to what a "lesser" character is. She's wearing a red cape anyway.

I almost went for this one. not that I don't want you to win, but I'll be kicking myself if you do.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.