Default New Mutants (movie) vs. Umbrella Academy (TV)

From the crossovers that you'd love to see thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4975078

Now as a vs. Including UA start of season2 upgrades ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

?

UA S2 opening pretty well showcases their powers -
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-26-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    From the crossovers that you'd love to see thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4975078

Now as a vs. Including UA start of season2 upgrades ...

?

UA S2 opening pretty well showcases their powers -
    How is New mutants anyway?

I haven't seen it myself, but I have a feeling this comes down to whether or not they have a way to put down Vanya before she starts nuking everything.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Umbrella Academy is broadly speaking superior in everything in the fields they share assuming my memory of the show is correct. Reyes has probably the best feats in the movie, but isn't part of the New Mutants.

Let's see, quick breakdown from memory;

Speed: None of the New Mutants have reaction feats beyond what you'd expect from normal people, though Cannonball once he got going in an exercise created a tornado and on another occasion ran fast enough to look like a blur of light (you can see the latter in the trailers).
    Strength: Sunspot (I think, it might have been Cannonball) was able to use a huge bench from a church as a melee weapon and could hit hard enough with it to hurt the house-sized demon bear with it. Cannonball could carve small trenches into the ground without slowing down and pulverized two of the Smiling Men by charging at them.
    Durability: Cannonball was unable to hurt himself because of his powers, that's the only notable durability showing in the movie that I can recall.
    Powers:
    Cannonball - Can charge at thing really fast and fly (with somewhat poor control) by launching himself forward. It takes him a second to get going though.
    Sunspot - Could cover himself in flames and launch them. His best showing is either reflexively lethally blasting a Smiling Man (so instantaneous deadly flames) or instantly raising a large pool to boiling temperatures when dropped into it.
    Wolfsbane - Can turn into a wolf. Very heightened senses (can hear sounds from across the entire facility). If she gets any increased stats they're negligible though.
    Mirage - Can make people's fears take shape, fully physical. The biggest thing she manifested was the demon bear, a roughly house-sized bear perpetually surrounded by a storm. Unfortunately she had no real control over it in the movie and it takes a bit to ramp up so it's probably not useable in an arena match.
    Magik - Can teleport by going through the Limbo dimension (not a Hell dimension in the movie, probably), can do it fast enough to dodge individual strikes by blinking through them. Her Soulsword behaves a lot like a lightsaber and is 'hot' enough to instantly melt metal on contact (you can see it in the trailer). She's probably capable of dropping people in Limbo (she partially brings Dani into it at one point in the movie) but never does it so it's just speculations. Her Lockheed puppet turns into an actual dragon that spits flames similar to her Soulsword, assuming that wasn't just her hallucinating.

I'd tend to think that just Vanya is too much for them, unless Magik teleports behind her and stabs her pretty much immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    How is New mutants anyway?
    Better than it has any right to be given its production history, but not the best movie ever. I made a fairly lengthy review in Downtown if you want to check.
    Last edited by Siriel; 09-01-2020 at 08:00 AM.