Default Undiscovered Country

Hi

Couldn't find a thread on "Undiscovered Country" by Scott Snyder. The premise looks interesting and intringuing, so I'd like to know if anyone has read it/ is reading it and what are the general thoughts? No spoilers please!

Thanks

I bought the first issue but i had a hard time finishing it. Granted i liked it better the second time i read it. I might check out the trade when i get a chance.

Astonishing Member

The first issue set up the premise (of a USA that had been sealed off from the rest of the world for decades, and of how the governments of the rest of the world had changed in the meantime in response to external events of profound importance) in an intriguing fashion. The next couple of issues, in which a group of outsiders make it into the USA and what they find there, were also interesting. However, I soon lost interest in the story as the group kept wandering around from one seeming dead end to another. and I felt it was getting tedious, so I dropped it. Was I alone in doing so? Did everyone else think it stayed interesting as they went from one situation to the next? If so, would you recommend my going back and picking up where I left off?

Incredible Member

I was hooked by the premise, but the first story arc really dragged for me. The whole "What's behind the wall in the mysterious USA? Oh, it's a standard issue Mad Max-ish environment" left me cold. The second arc, taking place in a Pacific Northwest that appears to be transformed into an environment is all technological wired together, living creatures and all, seems intriguing in concept.
    I'm going to ride this arc out, and make my "stay or go" decision at the end.

Very mixed signals...

The premise is incredible - but the execution is awful.
    I was expecting something with a more believable futurist tone of Brian Wood's DMZ or The Massive but got a generic scifi Mad Max or Fallout.
    The characters are not likeable or memorable. Just more evidence than Snyder has completely lost it. This comic is just really really bad.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    The premise is incredible - but the execution is awful.
    I was expecting something with a more believable futurist tone of Brian Wood's DMZ or The Massive but got a generic scifi Mad Max or Fallout.
    The characters are not likeable or memorable. Just more evidence than Snyder has completely lost it. This comic is just really really bad.
    Fully agree with all you said. I'm bailing.

BANNED

Dropped this after 4 issues myself.