Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default When you first saw the Solicits for The New 52

I was reading some backissues from early 2011. I started seeing the house ads for the Flashpoint event

Then issues from the next month, I started seeing the big house ads for the New 52, proclaiming a fresh new start and 52 #1 issues.

I wasn't reading DC at the time, so I have to ask, how did it feel seeing a major crossover event starting, and then a month later seeing ads that the entire line is starting over with #1 issues???

I'm not looking for a debate on the New 52 whether it was good or bad, I'm trying to get a sense what it felt like for DC fans to see a Major event starting, then see that the entire line is relaunching with all #1s?

What was your initial reaction?

Honestly my first reaction was worry. I read the press release and it looked like a reboot even though they were calling it a soft reboot. I love DC's history and I didn't want to see it go. I know people say things like "the books are still there if you want to read them" but the history is what makes these characters who they are. So for me, the characters were being rebooted might not be the same characters I loved anymore and even worse was my favorite characters (Wally West, JSA, Jack Knight and others didn't look to even exist). So yeah I was worried. And a little pissed off if I was to be honest. But by the time the JL #1 came out I actually got a little excited for some books but you asked for my initial reaction.

Incredible Member

Didnt agree with renumbering tec or action; thats the gold standard in publishing to keep those books running uninterrupted for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post

I'm not looking for a debate on the New 52 whether it was good or bad, I'm trying to get a sense what it felt like for DC fans to see a Major event starting, then see that the entire line is relaunching with all #1s?

What was your initial reaction?
    I was kind of excited actually.
    I thought we were going to see things start from scratch. For a moment it even looked that way, w. the heroes only just starting out. Then it went back to the same old same old w. an entire GL Corps and multiple earth based ring bearers, an entire Bat Family w. Dick already Nightwing, Superman already had other Kryptonians and clones running around Etc.
    I expected those concepts to be introduced over the course of several years, w. each new old character or concept’s introduction being highly anticipated big deal.

I know, that’s just crazy talk on my part.

How about Flashpoint just starting? Did you originally think it had to do with Flashpoint? Or were any of you "whats the point of following this Flashpoint crossover, if they're going to start over anyway?"

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I came in with New 52 but has been paying attention to some news developments before that, like Damian's creation, Bruce's death, Batman Dick, Wonder Donna, Johns Teen Titans, Infinite Crisis, and some NTT flashbacks.

I didn't see the solicits but I saw some of the early images.
    Let's just say I agree with everyone who laughed at Kon taping a paper with an S on his back.

I was looking forward to the reboot because I've been building a DC timeline based on comicvine's issue list and summary since I wanted to read chronologically and there's just too many.

I was worried but mostly excited. The idea of a whole new line of books focusing on fresh takes on DC's heroes and also exploring different genres and characters was pretty appealing to me.
    I also liked the idea of the the same universe housing the main versions of former Vertigo, Wildstorm, Milestone and DCU characters.
    Of course, most of those major pluses never really materialized in a proper way and the few that did (like the initial genre diversity) didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    How about Flashpoint just starting? Did you originally think it had to do with Flashpoint? Or were any of you "whats the point of following this Flashpoint crossover, if they're going to start over anyway?"
    I didn’t follow the FP crossover. I was sick of the continual DC/Marvel crossover merry go round back then, so DC simplifying its Universe was something I could get behind.

Too bad they didn’t, really.

Tired. So very tired, with a profound sense of "Can we not?"

Quickly turned to irritation when I saw just about all the titles I was buying were cancelled and many of my favorite characters were being shuffled off into limbo.

And finally dread when it came to Wonder Woman. At the time, The Odyssey was still dragging out like a grim death-march, and the last thing she needed was another reboot. And Brian Azzarello did not inspire confidence.

Overall, what Hunter S. Thompson would call "fear and loathing."

I was pretty psyched. The existing universe had gotten boring and convoluted and I looked forward to a cleaner slate and the new story possibilities. My expectations were largely borne out for a while. I was buying a lot of great titles (Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Dial H, Action Comics, Frankenstein, Wonder Woman, Batwoman) and some not-so-great (Detective Comics, Catwoman).

Basically, I knew it wasn't going to be a start from scratch sort of thing, even though I would have liked that more, so I guess you could say I had a realistic attitude towards it. It was fun to look forward to and to check out all the new titles, few of which lasted long unfortunately.
    Last edited by cgh; 08-27-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Regarding Flashpoint, I didn't buy anything except the main miniseries, but the new 52 announcement did take the wind out of the sails of the entire event's sales because people did realize that when it was all over, the story wouldn't matter.

As for the New 52 itself, I was very excited for it because I thought it would be a total do-over for the entire line.

However, as details emerged, it was obvious that they were falling into the same trap that they did after Crisis ended: they kept the continuity of some of their higher selling titles (e.g. Titans, Legion) as much as they could and rebooted other characters completely (Superman, Wonder Woman). In the case of New 52, Batman and GL stayed largely intact, but again, Superman, Wonder Woman, and others were completely rebooted.

The other thing I thought was unwise was that they introduced all 52 #1s in the same month. I think some of the more risky titles would have had a chance to find a bigger audience if they introduced the 52 titles over 4 months -- 13 new titles a month. I know that may have led to a lower market share at first, but I think it would have been easier for fans to sample all the titles. I bought all 52 #1s, but I'm sure not everyone did, so maybe only having 13 new titles a month in addition to the ones you were buying would have led to more sampling.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-27-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Fantastic Member

excited as it was what brought me into comics after i saw the trailer for it before green lantern, i actually wnet out and bought everything that Johns had done for GL after seeing that movie lol.

some great stuff in the new 52
    Snyder's Batman
    John's Green Lantern Finale, Justice League and Aquaman
    Forever Evil kicked ass
    Babs was back as Batgirl and her book was very good.
    Tomasi's Batman and Robin
    Manapul's Flash
    Red Hood and the Outlaws was great from day one, screw the haters, although rebirth was an improvement.
    Azarello's wonder woman
    Morrisons Action comics started out great but the second half was confusing and now the man just sucks, i couldnt get past issue two of his Green Lantern

great memories with the new 52.

i was honestly confused

I was upset. I feel like DC does soft reboots too often instead of just moving forward in a natural way. Hard rebooting was the last thing I wanted. I dropped a lot of titles for awhile but wound up picking up the trades later in a "I wish I could quit you" attitude. Rebirth brought things closer to where they were, which helped, but I still feel it was a huge mistake.

Scared at first but when I saw the creative teams I got excited.

Morrison on Action Comics? Perez on Superman? Hot damn that sounds good! Holy **** Johns is taking over JL? Huh and I guess Aquaman too? Ok maybe he’ll make me care about Aquaman. Scott Snyder on Batman? Eh why not, his Black Mirror was good, dunno if he’ll be a good fit for the main book.

Those are the reactions I remember.