Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What happened to Nicolas Cage?

Kind of a shame he dropped from the A list. In the 80s and 90s he was working with people like Brian De Palma, Sean Connery Norman Jewison and Willem Dafoe. Now he's relegated to the Way-Mart DVD bin.

Two of my recommendations if you think he's a joke: Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation.

Color Out of Space was amazing, and Mandy wasn’t bad. IMO Nicolas Cage has found a great niche that suits him.

He went bankrupt and had to start taking any movie that would pay him. He also went through some bad marriages.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He went bankrupt and had to start taking any movie that would pay him. He also went through some bad marriages.
    Well marrying the daughter of Elvis just because he is a huge fan boy was not the smartest thing he ever did. I mean I get that she was the ultimate piece of memorabilia for him. And then was shocked when it blew up in his face.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Good movies, bad movies...it doesn’t matter. The guy’s an institution.

Invincible Member

He made some really bad financial decisions ( I think at one point he bought an island) and had to take any/every role offered. He's done some bizarre commercials in Asia as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Kind of a shame he dropped from the A list. In the 80s and 90s he was working with people like Brian De Palma, Sean Connery Norman Jewison and Willem Dafoe. Now he's relegated to the Way-Mart DVD bin.

Two of my recommendations if you think he's a joke: Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation.
    From the sound of it, you need to front burner seeing the film 8mm.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That was a terrible film.

I've enjoyed him in most everything I've seen with him in it, but I remember really hating that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

I've enjoyed him in most everything I've seen with him in it, but I remember really hating that movie.
    I could totally see that.

That said, his role in that film is one most actors wouldn't even touch. That he did a halfway solid job is just gravy.

I'll always think of him as the punk from the 80's classic "Valley Girl."

Liked him in National Treasure. Never saw it, but I do find it funny that he was in the big screen Left Behind adaptation.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Movies like Army of One probably didn't help. Never watched it, but I heard quite a bit about it anyway.

Side note; I actually know the guy that Cage played as in that film. Hence how I already knew what it was about. And Gary, last I talked to him, really was kind of "out there". Though, he did get a kidney transplant since that movie was made, so he might be better. Because prior, if he missed dialysis, it would screw with his head pretty good.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    a hidden gem

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Would you mind to elaborate? It was probably the most terrifying thing I've seen back then but it got me interested in movies/shows like Zodiac, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and True Detective.

One time I heard he was now doing straight to DVD movies. For an Academy Award Best Actor winner, I thought it was odd.

8mm is the one where he's looking for a Snuff film?

Side note unrelated. But there's a movie where a guy stumbles across people shooting a snuff film in a barn in the woods. For some reason I'm picturing Wesley snipes but I dont think its him. Anyone have any idea what I'm thinking off? Iono why this is in my head must be a movie I saw a kid and never watched again.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-28-2020 at 12:27 AM.