Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Default Does police brutality affect your enthusiasm in watching cop TV shows or movies?

Has the recent news of police brutality changed how you watched cop movies including Cop and a Half , The Untouchables, or cop TV shows like Law & Order ?

Whenever you watch or re-watch a TV show or a movie about police being the good guys, do you think about the recent news of police brutality?

Whenever you watch or re-watch a TV show or a movie about police being the good guys, do you think about the recent news of police brutality?
    No, I know the difference between RL and make believe.
    I also don’t generalize and believe all police are bad because some police are bad.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I don't watch that many cop shows (got tired of procedurals a long time ago), but no, I don't have a problem watching stories about good cops.

And I do think the majority of cops are good, though there are more bad ones than we have been willing to admit before.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    Has the recent news of police brutality changed how you watched cop movies including Cop and a Half , The Untouchables, or cop TV shows like Law & Order ?

Absolutely.

Over the years, black media from sitcoms to music to movies like Do the Right Thing (which featured a black man being choked to death) have been talking about how damaging police excess really is and how much it disproportionately affects certain communities. Heck, Richard Pryor had a famous routine about how cops can choke out a black man in 1979!!. Sure there’s more crime in certain communities but the force applied to non-threatening situations is pretty overwhelming and the fact that these policemen almost always get away without any serious consequence has made me take a second look at a lot of cop related media.

I watched a documentary on YouTube during the George Floyd protests that really explained a lot of things. In the past, police weren’t really depicted as heroes and were quite bumbling in fact (like the comedic Keystone cops). It was in later years that pressure was put on Hollywood to deliberately depict cops as heroes even when they cross lines that they shouldn’t.

Growing up, tv shows made me feel that cops were far too restricted and weren’t allowed to get the really bad guys which isn’t the case at all in real life. We’ve seen police unions go out of their way to defend killer cops and entire precincts act like spoiled children when there are calls to regulate them. Movies and tv series almost never show the reality of what’s happening and just how many bad cops have been shielded from persecution.

Now, I’m not saying that cop shows shouldn’t exist but the reality of what’s actually happening needs to be taken into account. The Police by and large are doing good but there’s a lot of “buts” in real life.

Ultimate Member

It does make it harder, yeah.

I haven't been able to watch Nathan Fillion's new show because of usual hollywood tropes with cops

I always preferred detective shows and movies over police procedurals. Last time I was into cop movies was back when the buddy cop movie was king - Lethal Weapon and Rush Hour.

It's starting to get there, yeah. Because double standards of the law depicted on cop shows as ways for them to overcome challenges are becoming more apparent, like an attitude of do the ends justify the means. Excessive violence is one thing, but even cutting corners to get around paperwork (paperwork meant for accurate reporting/transparency) is painted as virtuous because then it means those hero cops yearn for more action and excitement.

It's also starting to happen retroactively, too. I'll watch an old show like the West Wing, which is left leaning but still very positive about police, and half the things in the show that the staff would support would be out of place just a decade later, nevermind two. The most we get is Toby Ziegler's frustration at police flippancy at routine cases.

Oddly enough, I was watching Dairanger from 1993 (weird choice, I know), and the Rangers fear that they might have accidentally killed a civilian. Turns out that a monster possessed the civilian, and that civilian was already dead before possession, so the monster "killed" himself to frame the Rangers. Rather, the civilian was already dead because the police shot him (a thief) to death well before the monster ever came. It's played off as relief for the Rangers, but the shooting and the Rangers' jovial attitudes wouldn't go well over today, even in an adult show.

Other than NCIS, I really haven't watched many cop shows in a few years. Though Lucifer is kind of a cop show...

I dont watch many police shows but there are a couple I enjoy. I really love Blue Bloods, I still watch the original Law and Order (In reruns of course) I still watch a lot of classic cop show Adam 12, Dragnet. Those are great.

I dont like the shows that make cops look dumb or evil. Or make criminals look glorious or the heroes. I get there are crooked cops and doing an episode about a bad cop is fine. but a whole series or movie not my cup of tea. That is why I did not really dig The Shield on FX.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Not even in the slightest.

Niffleheim

The shows I watch or re-watch doesn't sugarcoat the police department as an institution for good. It is always mixes the good and bad - mostly corrupted.

Shows like Person of Interest and Line of Duty i love to re-watch a lot.

Ultimate Member

Actually, no. The majority of the cop shows I watch don't glorify brutality and the one that kinda has semi-rogue behavior ( even though the show doesn't admit it) doesn't go too far. And like someone said above, there's a difference between reality and fantasy.

I've been watching old MST3k episodes, both Joel and Mike eras (shelter in place, y'know). Their jokes were funny back then, of course, but recent events make one hypervigilant -- both eras averaged at least one police brutality joke every two episodes or so.

(For example, Santa Conquers the Martians -- Santa's machine makes innocent baseball bats, to which Joel and the Bots go, "Here's the gifts for the LAPD!" And this is to say nothing about the show's dislike of Joe Don Baker's cop characters.)

I mean, the jokes are still funny, but now the ears are more attuned to a problem that's always been there. Finding police brutality jokes from a 30 year old show really shows how far we've yet to go on the subject.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-27-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Retired

I've been thinking about this lately, because so many cop shows are about how the lead characters can't do their jobs because of all the rules--so they have to find ways around the rules, so they can get the perp. And we're supposed to be on their side. Ah man, it sucks that this cop shot somebody and now they have to ride a desk and go to a psychiatrist every week so they can be evaluated as safe to go back on the street. Isn't that just awful.

Have I been watching propaganda all these years--slowly being brain-washed to accept values that are counter-intuitive? I guess so.

No doesnt effect it at all. I love rogue cop shows like Justified. But that's media. I also love Punisher but if he was a real person I'd be the first to say that guy has got to go. Think most can separate the two