Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can get behind an anti-hero as long as they're portrayed as such (i.e. Punisher on the Netflix Daredevil show), but I do find it less palatable to revel in the "renegade cop" as much when they're being casually glorified for eschewing the law and the plot bends to that portrayal.
    I get this logic. Cops are supposed to uphold the law. Frank Castle never made any such vow.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I get this logic. Cops are supposed to uphold the law. Frank Castle never made any such vow.
    I never understood this mentality because it instead portrays the cops as useless because they're limited by the rules.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I never understood this mentality because it instead portrays the cops as useless because they're limited by the rules.
    No more useless than the presence of Batman, Daredevil, or Spider-Man. I believe Greg Rucka said it best. Paraphrasing, "Batman does not exist in a world where the GCPD is effective." Whether that's because of the rules, corruption, or just being spread out too thin, it's the truth. I mean, none of them would have the need to exist if they were. Batman's parents would've been saved by a patrolman on his beat, the criminals who murdered Jack Murdock would've been incarcerated long before they ever had a chance to do so, and even if Peter still let Uncle Ben's killer go, another policeman would've eventually arrested him before he even got on the Parker's block.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-14-2020 at 05:52 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

No more useless than the presence of Batman, Daredevil, or Spider-Man. I believe Greg Rucka said it best. Paraphrasing, "Batman does not exist in a world where the GCPD is effective." Whether that's because of the rules, corruption, or just being spread out too thin, it's the truth. I mean, none of them would have the need to exist if they were. Batman's parents would've been saved by a patrolman on his beat, the criminals who murdered Jack Murdock would've been incarcerated long before they ever had a chance to do so, and even if Peter still let Uncle Ben's killer go, another policeman would've eventually arrested him before he even got on the Parker's block.
    I typically give superheroes a pass because of supervillains.

No one expects the NYPD to be able to handle Electro. Joker and Kingpin, that’s debatable, but superhumans always get a pass.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

That's not being not effective. It would be, if it happened in Minority Report, though.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Yep.

Pretty much the whole reason those urban vigilantes exist in comics is justified by how corrupt, morally compromised or inept law enforcement and the courts are.

Even in the Punisher comics the organized criminal gangs are portrayed as buying off or scaring off the cops and judges. The Punisher's family killers aren't brought to justice by law enforcement in his original origin backstory because they are in the pocket of the mob.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I typically give superheroes a pass because of supervillains.

No one expects the NYPD to be able to handle Electro. Joker and Kingpin, that’s debatable, but superhumans always get a pass.
    With all the military surplus equipment cops have been getting in recent years I'm not so certain they wouldn't be able to handle some super powered villains like Electro. There were Americops in Captain America. Major police forces like the NYPD would probably have their own Hulkbuster suits if the MCU was close to reality.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    With all the military surplus equipment cops have been getting in recent years I'm not so certain they wouldn't be able to handle some super powered villains like Electro. There were Americops in Captain America. Major police forces like the NYPD would probably have their own Hulkbuster suits if the MCU was close to reality.
    In fairness, the balance of power does lie in the government in the MCU. Guardsmen armors, sentinels, etc.

It's just hard to bring that power to bear quickly enough to make a difference. That's where Spidey comes in. DD is like the only superhero out there without some overwhelming physical advantage, and he always catches side eye.

I wonder how many newly created police shows are on schedule for the 2020-21 season? How many renewed shows will be coming out? SVU, Brooklyn 99, The Rookie, etc.
    I guess it will be interesting to see whether the ratings spike because of the pandemic and more people are at home, vs. a ratings drop, for whatever reasons.

No because I don't like to generalize.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I hate the trope of the renegade police officer. The Dirty Harry type of cop who will break all the rules to get the job done. They might be enjoyable to watch on the silver screen, but you just know they would be a catastrophe in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I hate the trope of the renegade police officer. The Dirty Harry type of cop who will break all the rules to get the job done. They might be enjoyable to watch on the silver screen, but you just know they would be a catastrophe in real life.
    Meh, white male conservative power fantasies. Getting revenge on swarthy "savages" without getting locked up with them is their ultimate dream scenario.

Of course it was all in protecting the "virginal" white woman from the lustful desires of the non-white man. Refusing to believe it was their women seeking them out this whole time. Binders full of Cucks! LOLZ!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Meh, white male conservative power fantasies. Getting revenge on swarthy "savages" without getting locked up with them is their ultimate dream scenario.

Of course it was all in protecting the "virginal" white woman from the lustful desires of the non-white man. Refusing to believe it was their women seeking them out this whole time. Binders full of Cucks! LOLZ!
    You almost summarized the first 2 Taken movies

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

no but police procedurals are pretty boring i think

colin quinn's "Cop Show" on youtube is pretty solid though

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You almost summarized the first 2 Taken movies
    Also the first Death With with Charles Bronson (can't comment on the Bruce Willis one because I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot poll).