Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New Mutants Film thread spoilers in here only

Hey everyone, this is going to the dedicated thread to talk about the New Mutants movie. The mod team thought it would be a good idea to do a dedicated thread since a lot of places won't have the movie tomorrow and/or for the foreseeable future. Spoilers are fine to post in here as that is the point of this thread but please don't post spoilers in other threads or start different threads that have spoilers. I'm going to make this a sticky for a while so hopefully everyone can find it easily.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Wow! Wow! Wow! I’m floored. That was fucking epic and amazing. The connection to “Logan”. The love story. I loved Charlie and Henry and Sam and Roberto. Magik ended up being so great. The music. We need a sequel! I need to know where these 5 go from here.

I’m bouncing off walls and I need to catch my breath.

The Rahne and Dani romance was fantastic. Both kisses. Actually 3 in total counting the one later.

Loved the “Logan” connection. Also Reyes working for Essex Corp.

I think they did the back story’s really well. Especially with Illyanna without being specific you know she was sexually abused.

I though the CGI was fantastic. The ending was sweet with them all leaving and heading into town together.

Let’s hope we get more or at least these five are introduced in the MCU. But it would be hard because do you see the MCU having an explicit girl on girl relationship? Feige would crap himself.

So, I may still be in shock that I actually saw it after waiting 2.5 years & thinking it would never see the light of day...But I did enjoy it!

The positive...

I thought the cast was the best part. They meshed quite well. I wasn't 100% sold on Blu as the movie started, but she found her footing and pulled it off. And of course, Anya as Magik...perfection!

For a "low-budget" film, I thought the CGI looked very good. The Demon Bear, Lockheed, Limbo, etc...all thumbs up!

The negative...

Maybe it was because of all the footage they released in the trailers, teasers, etc...but it felt like I already knew the entire plot of the movie. Pretty formulaic.

I wish Cannonball & Sunspot would have gotten just as much attention as all the girls.

Overall...

B+

I will likely see it at least once more in theaters. I believe it has good re-watch value.

Also, The early fight between Illyanna and Dani was intense as hell. The Bitch word was used quite a bit! Illyana was being a bitch with her insults. But as you saw later it was likely just a facade and the racist stuff she said she didn’t mean. Also, Dani called out the racism.

About the racist insults.. those thinking Josh wrote it in for shits and giggles. It wasn’t just there. Dani called Illyanna her on her ****. Some people will likely still be upset. They will like agree Illyanna would be that mean to Dani but she’d use better insults. But that’s why I think Illyanna was just trying to get a rise. I’m not defending “Pocahantis” as an insult at all. But like Dani said.. she heard lame stuff like that back in 5th grade.

Niffleheim

Ah so the things about Illyanna being racist were true? I couldn't believe reading that she kept calling Dani "Hey Pocahontas" "Hey Standing Rock" What kind of Indian are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Ah so the things about Illyanna being racist were true? I couldn't believe reading that she kept calling Dani "Hey Pocahontas" "Hey Standing Rock" What kind of Indian are you?
    Racist? Doubtful.

It was more along the lines of trying to get under Dani's skin.

She also kept referring to Rahne as a dog.

She definitely favored the boys over the other girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I thought the cast was the best part.
    LMAOO very interesting choice of words

Why can't we have good things? Rahne and Illyana are perfectly cast, Cannonball's physically perfect but DAMN they did CeCe wrong. Take one of the few black X-women, whitewash her and make her the bad guy? Jesus Christ, Josh.

New Mutants is a good example of the cultural changes since 2015-16 when this went into development and 2020. Get thee to a unconscious bias training session, Boone.*

*JK, those things make **** all difference.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    Why can't we have good things? Rahne and Illyana are perfectly cast, Cannonball's physically perfect but DAMN they did CeCe wrong. Take one of the few black X-women, whitewash her and make her the bad guy? Jesus Christ, Josh.

New Mutants is a good example of the cultural changes since 2015-16 when this went into development and 2020. Get thee to a unconscious bias training session, Boone.*

*JK, those things make **** all difference.
    Hey it could have been Storm.

I wonder will Rahne/Dani work its way to the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    LMAOO very interesting choice of words
    Listen, I 100% understand people's frustrations with the casting of Blu, Henry, & Alice. I feel for you all!

However, their skin color does not dictate their acting skills. Whether they should have been cast in the first place or not, they did a good job and meshed very well with Maisie, Anya, & Charlie.

I got to see a test screening a while back, so I've been a fan of this movie for a while now. And it hasn't changed hardly at all. So if anyone still thinks there were reshoots, there clearly wasn't.

The interaction between the characters is great, even Illyana being an *******. Considering the situation they are in, Illyana lashing out and being mean to others is understandable.

The characters feel more like the interaction there should be between X-characters who are coming together to be sort of a family but still don't necessarily get along.

The person I saw it with compared was comparing it to Umbrella Academy (which he likes better) and in terms of VFX, it's about the same level. He likes UA better and the set-up would have worked as that type of streaming series rather than a movie. There's elements which remind me of a much better Generation X tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    But it would be hard because do you see the MCU having an explicit girl on girl relationship? Feige would crap himself.
    If Disney execs and Feige don't want to introduce a LGBT, adding Dani/Rahne is an easy way to add a relationship without having anything in an actual MCU movie. Their relationship in New Mutants is fairly teen romance-ish. If they were added as students to an X-Men movie, then it's a gay couple without having to explain whether they are close friends or a couple?

Mighty Member

So this movie is finally released after years of delay? What's that I saw in the spoiler? Dani and Rahne having a lesbian relationship?

Yep! It not subtext either. It’s a relationship.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Liked the movie, happy to have finally seen it. Sunspot brings it down a few pegs in about every regard. For many reasons including the obvious. A weak role played by a weak actor with rather mediocre SFX. Only made more apparent by how well the film re-interpreted the other characters.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.